Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Steelers roster part 2

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    SKL, I love the thought...and your assessment of the current talent out there. Some of those names I'm not familiar with but you addressed all gaping holes except ILB.

With that said, I have never seen the Steelers roll like this...make a huge power play in FA. So, until I see the Steelers do something like this...I'll just have to mark it up to wishful thinking.
    I AGREE. This is way off there MO. However I can't remember the roster being so depleted of starting quality and depth. This is really a different year. We have found excellent starters through FA before (Farrior, Clark, Greene etc...) It just so happens we need a couple more than usual this year.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    SKL, I love the thought...and your assessment of the current talent out there. Some of those names I'm not familiar with but you addressed all gaping holes except ILB.

With that said, I have never seen the Steelers roll like this...make a huge power play in FA. So, until I see the Steelers do something like this...I'll just have to mark it up to wishful thinking.
    Geez! I haven't been paying attention to what has been going on lately and at first misunderstood the post. I thought that all those deals had been made and was thrilled. Even though I had no idea who the players were except Spencer it just sounded good and for a split second I figured they were actually going to get back into the football business.

I am really hoping Woodley heals. I am not a Worilds person at all. Franchise? They gotta be kidding. He is next to nothing.

You say Spencer is available. That would be huge.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

this would be nice.. we can dream!
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Hood and Keisels to sign Soliai. Jones to sign Velasco. Use Clark and Manny Sanders $$ to sign Malcolm Jenkins.
    Getting into the cap of it all, none of Hood, Keisel, Jones, Clark, or Sanders are under contract for next year. You are taking money that doesn't exist to sign Solilai, Velasco, and Jenkins.

Not saying that it can't be done, but it will require a lot more work than we have here. In order to make this kind of room, we would probably need to extend Ben and maybe one or two others (Timmons and Pouncey come to mind). We would probably need significant concessions from Ike, Heath, and Troy.

Keeping Velasco and Pouncey might not be a luxury we can afford, if Velasco is going to come in around $3M per. That is a lot for a backup. Foster is very reasonably priced and can start. We probably have to choose between Pouncey and Velasco, and rehab will have a lot to do with that question.

As for the idea of making Woodley a June 1 cut, it can be done but think about this...how would you like to have an extra $4.3M of cap space this season? That is the amount that Willie "False Start" Colon will count against the Steelers 2014 cap. If Wood is cut then he will count over $8M against the 2015 cap as a distant memory. Not saying that it isn't the right move, but cutting a player does not make him disappear.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Getting into the cap of it all, none of Hood, Keisel, Jones, Clark, or Sanders are under contract for next year. You are taking money that doesn't exist to sign Solilai, Velasco, and Jenkins.

Not saying that it can't be done, but it will require a lot more work than we have here. In order to make this kind of room, we would probably need to extend Ben and maybe one or two others (Timmons and Pouncey come to mind). We would probably need significant concessions from Ike, Heath, and Troy.

Keeping Velasco and Pouncey might not be a luxury we can afford, if Velasco is going to come in around $3M per. That is a lot for a backup. Foster is very reasonably priced and can start. We probably have to choose between Pouncey and Velasco, and rehab will have a lot to do with that question.

As for the idea of making Woodley a June 1 cut, it can be done but think about this...how would you like to have an extra $4.3M of cap space this season? That is the amount that Willie "False Start" Colon will count against the Steelers 2014 cap. If Wood is cut then he will count over $8M against the 2015 cap as a distant memory. Not saying that it isn't the right move, but cutting a player does not make him disappear.
    Well that is simply not true. They were paid in 2013. They will not be paid in 2014. Someone else will get their money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well that is simply not true. They were paid in 2013. They will not be paid in 2014. Someone else will get their money.
    T.O.'s post was on the money. Somebody else on the 2014 Steelers is already getting their money. Ben has a larger cap hit this year as do a number of others. As it is, the Steelers are over the cap, but can easily get under by cutting Levi Brown and making perhaps one more move.

I like your plan but question whether it is feasible. If Woodley is cut, there is no relief until June 1. If Worilds is franchised, he will count just under $11 million towards the 2014 cap. Signing him to a long term deal, with prorated bonuses, will provide less of an immediate impact. I just don't see the room for 4 significant signings.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    T.O.'s post was on the money. Somebody else on the 2014 Steelers is already getting their money. Ben has a larger cap hit this year as do a number of others. As it is, the Steelers are over the cap, but can easily get under by cutting Levi Brown and making perhaps one more move.

I like your plan but question whether it is feasible. If Woodley is cut, there is no relief until June 1. If Worilds is franchised, he will count just under $11 million towards the 2014 cap. Signing him to a long term deal, with prorated bonuses, will provide less of an immediate impact. I just don't see the room for 4 significant signings.
    Kiesel made 4.9m
    Clark 4.75
    Hood 2.99
    Sanders 2.5
    Jones 590 K

Thats 15M. The total roster increase of players under contract is 11 mil. Cutting Woodley and restructuring Ike, Troy, Heath and possibly Ben will provide further relief. The signings are very doable. Unlikely but doable.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kiesel made 4.9m
    Clark 4.75
    Hood 2.99
    Sanders 2.5
    Jones 590 K

Thats 15M. The total roster increase of players under contract is 11 mil. Cutting Woodley and restructuring Ike, Troy, Heath and possibly Ben will provide further relief. The signings are very doable. Unlikely but doable.
    The Steelers are currently at approximately $136 million in salary.

[url]http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Steelers&Year=2014[/url]

The cap is scheduled to be approximately $126 million. Cutting Levi Brown and one of these restructures gets you even. You'd have to restructure all of Ike, Troy, Heath and Ben to get even and franchise Worilds. With Woodley, if you cut him, there are two options: you either do it post June 1, save some money this year, but have dead money on the cap next year. Or, you cut Woodley straight out, take the whole hit, lose $500k in cap space, but stop kicking the can down the road.

I'm sure the Steelers can get creative and sign a guy or two, but 4 significant signings will be difficult.