Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers To Interview Munchak for OL Coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers To Interview Munchak for OL Coach

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/17/report-mike-munchak-to-meet-with-steelers-about-offensive-line-job/[/URL]

Per PFT...

I know this was mentioned by someone else when he was initially released from Tennessee...

Report: Mike Munchak to meet with Steelers about offensive line job
    Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2014, 12:10 PM EST

Former Titans coach Mike Munchak interviewed for the head coaching jobs in Detroit and at Penn State, but both of those jobs have gone to other candidates.

Munchak has also interviewed with the Browns, but they are waiting to speak to assistants from teams still in the playoffs so Munchak is looking at options for other positions as well. He reportedly interviewed for the Texans’ offensive line coach opening and now the Hall of Fame guard has lined up an interview with another team looking for a line coach.

Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports reports that Munchak is expected to meet with the Steelers soon about becoming their offensive line coach. The Steelers fired Jack Bicknell Jr. after the end of the regular season, setting them up to have their third line coach in three years marked by inconsistent play along the offensive line.

Munchak was a highly position coach with the Oilers and Titans before getting bumped up to the top job in 2011 and it’s looking like his best chance to build up to another shot as a head coach is to move back to his old stomping grounds.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Head Coach to OL Coach...that is quite a drop in the coaching hierarchy.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Are you familiar with The Peter Principle?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They could give him the Assistant Head Coach title much like Grimm had.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

would be a fantastic hire, IMO

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    would be a fantastic hire, IMO
    I agree. I think it is more about whether his ego can accept it, not his talent. He is clearly a very good OL coach and I would love to have him as ours.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with you fellas, I think it would help our OL a lot.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

He went from OL Coach to Head Coach when the Titans canned Fisher...that was quite a leap in the coaching hierarchy.

He's never been a coordinator...never called plays...it makes sense for him to go back to what he was great at...a Hall of Fame o-lineman coaching young o-linemen.

I started the earlier thread about Munchak a week or two ago, so I'm glad to see that we at least brought him in for an interview. Would be a great hire.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Not that it holds any real sway with him, but Munchak is a PA boy. If he still has family in the state it might be a factor that works in the Steelers favor.

Starter

User Info Menu

Wow I hope this works out. It would be great
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190