Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Steelers To Interview Munchak for OL Coach

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    He went from OL Coach to Head Coach when the Titans canned Fisher...that was quite a leap in the coaching hierarchy.

    He's never been a coordinator...never called plays...it makes sense for him to go back to what he was great at...a Hall of Fame o-lineman coaching young o-linemen.

    I started the earlier thread about Munchak a week or two ago, so I'm glad to see that we at least brought him in for an interview. Would be a great hire.
    I remembered the topic coming up RB, just couldn't remember who brought it up. Early Nostradamus award to you if it works out.

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,047
    I do like the thought of the Steelers coaches having head coaching experience. Do you guys think that sets guys apart? Also if our o-line does a big jump again say with Munchak does he move on in a year or 2? Does that hurt the team/o line that much do you think?

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler thor75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I do like the thought of the Steelers coaches having head coaching experience. Do you guys think that sets guys apart? Also if our o-line does a big jump again say with Munchak does he move on in a year or 2? Does that hurt the team/o line that much do you think?
    No because he sets a precedent. Shaun Sarrett is a young guy who the FO/coaching staff seems to like from all reports. If you are young and learning your craft, learning the finer points from a multitude of teachers only makes you better. Then you can pick/choose what works best for your style. Mike Munchak coming in is like Sarrett going to the Dagobah system and he has to learn how to levitate the Boeing 747-like stigma that has plagued the o-line, especially in run blocking. The no huddle and quick passing is another way to stick your finger in the dam but it would be nice to slap some concrete in there.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

  4. #14
    Starter Rara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    545
    I sure hope Munchak becomes the Steelers offensive line coach..that'd be a EXCELLENT hiring!
    Rara's very early 2015 NFL Mock Draft
    Round 1- Jalen Collins, CB; LSU
    Round 2- Eric Lefeld, OT; Cincinatti
    Round 3- Tyler Kroft, TE; Rutgers
    Round 4- Geneo Grissom, OLB; Oklahoma
    Round 5- Jonathon Mincy, CB; Auburn
    Round 6- Jamil Douglas, OG; Arizona State
    Round 7- Spencer Roth, P; Baylor

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    No because he sets a precedent. Shaun Sarrett is a young guy who the FO/coaching staff seems to like from all reports. If you are young and learning your craft, learning the finer points from a multitude of teachers only makes you better. Then you can pick/choose what works best for your style. Mike Munchak coming in is like Sarrett going to the Dagobah system and he has to learn how to levitate the Boeing 747-like stigma that has plagued the o-line, especially in run blocking. The no huddle and quick passing is another way to stick your finger in the dam but it would be nice to slap some concrete in there.
    Money.....POST....!!!!

  6. #16
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,995
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    No because he sets a precedent. Shaun Sarrett is a young guy who the FO/coaching staff seems to like from all reports. If you are young and learning your craft, learning the finer points from a multitude of teachers only makes you better. Then you can pick/choose what works best for your style. Mike Munchak coming in is like Sarrett going to the Dagobah system and he has to learn how to levitate the Boeing 747-like stigma that has plagued the o-line, especially in run blocking. The no huddle and quick passing is another way to stick your finger in the dam but it would be nice to slap some concrete in there.
    I want to be in the OL meeting room when Munchak tells Mike Adams, "Block or do not block. There is no try."

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,453
    Call me crazy, but any guy that's been in the league and has a longstanding mindset about how to block in the NFL just might struggle in Pittsburgh. I don't think it's easy for any of these guys or our players to get used to blocking for Ben. Seemed to start working better down the stretch last year, so I'd rather see us stick with the current assistant.

    As good as Munchak is, I'm not sure anyone is gonna fit in right away in Pittsburgh.

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,843
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Call me crazy, but any guy that's been in the league and has a longstanding mindset about how to block in the NFL just might struggle in Pittsburgh. I don't think it's easy for any of these guys or our players to get used to blocking for Ben. Seemed to start working better down the stretch last year, so I'd rather see us stick with the current assistant.

    As good as Munchak is, I'm not sure anyone is gonna fit in right away in Pittsburgh.
    As long as Ben continues to buy what Haley was selling the last 5-6 games of the season the blocking will be fine. If "bad Ben" comes back then the OL will have problems.

    I know a couple big college program Off Linemen and we have talked about pass blocking. Both in separate conversations said the OL needs to know where the QB is going to be so they can control the angles. If the QB is all over the place is becomes very difficult because the pass rushers sees where the QB is going and the blocker can't.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #19
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,995
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Call me crazy, but any guy that's been in the league and has a longstanding mindset about how to block in the NFL just might struggle in Pittsburgh. I don't think it's easy for any of these guys or our players to get used to blocking for Ben. Seemed to start working better down the stretch last year, so I'd rather see us stick with the current assistant.

    As good as Munchak is, I'm not sure anyone is gonna fit in right away in Pittsburgh.
    Ben and Haley were able to work out something in the second half of last season to keep his jersey clean (more of a change in the decisions Ben was making than better blocking). They can work on keeping that going into next year.

    What I want from a new OL coach is someone who will be able to open up holes for Le'Veon Bell. The rook showed flashes of being special despite very limited blocking in front of him. When Munchak was OL coach in Tennessee, Chris Johnson was the feared CJ2K. When Munchak was otherwise occupied with additional head coaching responsibilities, Chris Johnson was a shell of his former self. Munchak was also their OL coach for Eddie George's entire career (and the closest physical comparison to Le'Veon Bell that I was able to think of was Eddie George). He also was able to get respectable rushing numbers out of guys like Travis Henry, Lendale White, and Chris Brown.

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    As long as Ben continues to buy what Haley was selling the last 5-6 games of the season the blocking will be fine. If "bad Ben" comes back then the OL will have problems.

    I know a couple big college program Off Linemen and we have talked about pass blocking. Both in separate conversations said the OL needs to know where the QB is going to be so they can control the angles. If the QB is all over the place is becomes very difficult because the pass rushers sees where the QB is going and the blocker can't.
    I agree and think our linemen would look a lot better playing with another QB and another system. We could see them play better when Charlie Batch was in the game. I think Ben needs a different kind of lineman blocking for him. We need guys that are hustlers that wont give up when they get beat.

    I think guys like Starks and Beachum are good recent examples. By no means are those guys all pros, but they hustled and never gave up on a play even when they got beat. And that's something Ben can work with the way he plays. And I think those are 2 good examples of guys that would actually play better in our system and would struggle elsewhere. And we saw it with Starks after he left.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •