Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin vs Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin vs Cowher

Consider:

M Tomlin is currently 30 gms over 0.500 for his career.
    B Cowher, at the same point in his career, was 26 gms over 0.500.

M Tomlin has a career win % 0.634, Cowher retired with 0.623.

M Tomlin has 71 wins, B Cowher at the same point had 77 wins.

M Tomlin has 2 AFC Championships, B Cowher at the same point had 1.

25% of Cowher's seasons were 0.500 or less. Tomlin is currently at 29% with two non-win seasons.

People like to think Cowher > Tomlin but it looks to me like they are very similar in coaching their teams to wins. Those that claim Tomlin is "winning with B Cowher's players" need also consider B Cowher won with C Noll's players.

Avg yrs experience for players on Cowher's first team: 4.4
    Avg yrs experience for players on Tomlin's first team: 4.9

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only big difference is that Tomlin did inherit a great qb. that makes a difference.
    course cowher inherited a great defense.
    I'm not sure how it evens out, but having ben in a passing league is pretty darn important.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    The only big difference is that Tomlin did inherit a great qb. that makes a difference.
    course cowher inherited a great defense.
    I'm not sure how it evens out, but having ben in a passing league is pretty darn important.
    And of course, there is a 'yes but':

Cowher's first year with Roethlisberger: 15-1, second year 11-5, third year 8-8...... then decides to throw in the towel and get on with his life's work....

Backup

User Info Menu

Coach Cowher embodied all which Coach Knoll brought to Pittsburgh,.. all that we and our children will always consider the tradition and or code and standard that is Steeler Football.

May Tomlin maintain the best of as much at worst, and at best build and solidify a Legacy worthy of the House.

Legend

User Info Menu

I personally don't think Cowher>Tomlin. But, when you start 0-4 off the back of an 8-8 no playoff season, I will ask some questions. Such as, was Tomlin's early success with Cowhers leadership and talent?

Also, you are comparing apples to oranges. Cowher had to come in and clean house, hiring all new staff and immediately turned a losing ball club around. Tomlin stepped into an indeal situation with a primed team with a franchise QB. His stats had better be better than Cowhers.

With all of that said (just to keep the discussion honest)...Tomlin proved something to me this season. He proved to me that he could coach a team up who was struggling...he could coach from adversity. I was actually impressed by the adjustments Tomlin and Haley made midstream.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    And of course, there is a 'yes but':

Cowher's first year with Roethlisberger: 15-1, second year 11-5, third year 8-8...... then decides to throw in the towel and get on with his life's work....
    Of course there is a "yes but" that is how discussion boards work. Did you simply want every one to read and agree with you?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

With all of that said (just to keep the discussion honest)...Tomlin proved something to me this season. He proved to me that he could coach a team up who was struggling...he could coach from adversity. I was actually impressed by the adjustments Tomlin and Haley made midstream.
    This right here^^^

This was one of Tomlin's most impressive seasons IMO. Most people predicted 4-12 or 5-11... and he managed to get us to 8-8 and it took everything KC and the refs had to keep us out of the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This right here^^^

This was one of Tomlin's most impressive seasons IMO. Most people predicted 4-12 or 5-11... and he managed to get us to 8-8 and it took everything KC and the refs had to keep us out of the playoffs.
    Going from a 2-6 start to a 6-2 finish was showing promise. But IMO, the loss to the Cheaters was embarrassing. The staff waited too long to make the necessary adjustments on offense - but at least they did and it worked. The defense is still a liability and losing to the 'Fins at home was awful. For 2014, the offense is pointed in the right direction if they don't go back to their old ways. But the defense could be painful to watch if we don't get some young people who can contribute right away.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This right here^^^

I'll actually agree with you. He took a team that is almost entirely his...got kicked in the teeth...and didn't fold it up and go home. He then coached a down team to an impressive second half of a season...almost getting them to the playoffs. It gave me much needed information on Tomlin that I didn't have before...what would happen when the chips were down?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    +1. While it won't ever be enough for the "haters" Tomlin proved this season exactly why the Rooneys hired him and will keep him for a good long while.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"