Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Steelers roster part 2

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

2014 Steelers roster part 2

First off you will notice that this involves 2 mid-large FA signings (Soliai and Jenkins) and 2 lesser ones (Spencer and Brown). While this is uncharacteristic of the Steelers, it will be impossible to field a playoff caliber team trying to plug holes through the draft alone. Given the amount of Veterans expected to be cut or let walk. The front office will have no choice but to bring in a couple of street FA's.

FA signings- Paul Soliai-DT(unhappy in MIA), Fernando Velasco, Jason Worilds, Anthony Spencer (needs to get back to a 3-4), Donald Brown, Malcolm Jenkins (Kenny Vaccaro makes him expendable)

Gone- Felix Jones, Manny Sanders, Levi Brown, Ziggy Hood, Brett Kiesel, Lamar Woodley, Ryan Clark

Restructure- Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Heath Miller use savings to get back on cap track.

Use Woodley's money to sign Worilds and Spencer. Hood and Keisels to sign Soliai. Jones to sign Velasco. Use Clark and Manny Sanders $$ to sign Malcolm Jenkins.

I think this team would compete for a division title.

QB: (3)- Ben Roethlisberger, Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones

RB: (5)- LeVeon Bell, Donald Brown, Johnathan Dwyer, Roy Finch, Will Johnson

WR: (5)-Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, Jericho Cotchery, Jared Abberderis, Derek Moye

TE: (3)- Heath Miller, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Matt Spaeth

OT: (3)-Kelvin Beachum, Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams

OG: (3)-Ramon Foster, David DeCastro, Cody Wallace

C: (2)- Maurkice Pouncey, Fernando Velasco

DE: (4)- Cameron Heyward, Steve McClendon, Al Woods, Brian Arnfelt

DT: (3)- Paul Soliai, Daniel McCullers, Hebron Fangupo

OLB: (4)- Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, Anthony Spencer, Prince Shembo,

ILB-: (4)- Lawrence Timmons, Vince Williams, Sean Spence, Max Bullough

CB: (5) -Darqueeze Dennard, Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Stanley Jean-Baptiste

FS: (2)- Malcolm Jenkins, Robert Golden

SS: (2)- Troy Polamalu, Shamarko Thomas

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    First off you will notice that this involves 2 mid-large FA signings (Soliai and Jenkins) and 2 lesser ones (Spencer and Brown). While this is uncharacteristic of the Steelers, it will be impossible to field a playoff caliber team trying to plug holes through the draft alone. Given the amount of Veterans expected to be cut or let walk. The front office will have no choice but to bring in a couple of street FA's.

FA signings- Paul Soliai-DT(unhappy in MIA), Fernando Velasco, Jason Worilds, Anthony Spencer (needs to get back to a 3-4), Donald Brown, Malcolm Jenkins (Kenny Vaccaro makes him expendable)

Gone- Felix Jones, Manny Sanders, Levi Brown, Ziggy Hood, Brett Kiesel, Lamar Woodley, Ryan Clark

Restructure- Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Heath Miller use savings to get back on cap track.

Use Woodley's money to sign Worilds and Spencer. Hood and Keisels to sign Soliai. Jones to sign Velasco. Use Clark and Manny Sanders $$ to sign Malcolm Jenkins.

WR: (5)-Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, Jericho Cotchery, Jared Abberderis, Derek Moye

CB: (5) -Darqueeze Dennard, Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Stanley Jean-Baptiste

I like what you're suggesting, but will there really be enough money in the pot to sign all those FA's?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I like what you're suggesting, but will there really be enough money in the pot to sign all those FA's?
    I'm not a cap guru but yes i think so. I even think we can save some $$$

Legend

User Info Menu

SKL, I love the thought...and your assessment of the current talent out there. Some of those names I'm not familiar with but you addressed all gaping holes except ILB.

With that said, I have never seen the Steelers roll like this...make a huge power play in FA. So, until I see the Steelers do something like this...I'll just have to mark it up to wishful thinking.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post

I really like the direction you are going. If the changes you suggest could be pulled off we would have a much stronger roster.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    SKL, I love the thought...and your assessment of the current talent out there. Some of those names I'm not familiar with but you addressed all gaping holes except ILB.

With that said, I have never seen the Steelers roll like this...make a huge power play in FA. So, until I see the Steelers do something like this...I'll just have to mark it up to wishful thinking.
    +1
    The OLB shakeout in particular, doesn't seem to add up. We cut Wood, we save some dollars, but we have to eat a lot too. So eating that, plus paying (presumably) a premium contract for Worilds, and having more dough for a (still) valuable Anthony Spencer? Whatever you could sign Spencer for, if you compound it with Woodley's dead money, I'm guessing would be like paying a $8-10m LB anyway.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What about Will Allen, anyone think they try to re-sign?

I bet they try to hang onto Hood as well.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    +1
    The OLB shakeout in particular, doesn't seem to add up. We cut Wood, we save some dollars, but we have to eat a lot too. So eating that, plus paying (presumably) a premium contract for Worilds, and having more dough for a (still) valuable Anthony Spencer? Whatever you could sign Spencer for, if you compound it with Woodley's dead money, I'm guessing would be like paying a $8-10m LB anyway.
    SKL--isn't the problem with cutting Woodley is that we save the most money if we wait until after June 1st? Most likely Worilds and Spencer wouldn't be waiting until them to be signed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    What about Will Allen, anyone think they try to re-sign?

I bet they try to hang onto Hood as well.
    I have always thought that Will Allen is a valuable asset to the team. He can do alot of things and plays a solid game. I'd love to keep him at a vet minimum.

Safety is definitely an issue. I have to be honest, I have no idea what anyone sees in Robert Golden! He has shown me absolutely nothing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    SKL--isn't the problem with cutting Woodley is that we save the most money if we wait until after June 1st? Most likely Worilds and Spencer wouldn't be waiting until them to be signed.
    We can franchise Worilds and work a deal later. Spencer is 30 and coming off an injury and a year in which Dallas moved him to DE, a position he hasn't played since Purdue. I think he would be a bargain FA, probably on a 1 or 2 year deal.
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 01-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.