Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watching the 9ers, Seahawks, Panthers' D......

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think so... DL is a genius but even geniuses get old and need to sit down somewhere. Lake was brought in and most DB's say he has made it much easier to understand their roles in this defense. IMO it's because he is younger and he has a better understanding of the way college aged/young rookies process information.

Those other defenses are probably less complex and most of them have players facing the QB and coming up and blasting opponents while are guys are trying to remember all those damn assignments while chasing WR's with their backs to the QB. It's the reason Tebow looks like a star against us while looking like absolute trash vs New England.
    These are good points. That D play calling vs. Tebow was among the worst I have even seen in my life. They called a plan that gave him his only chance of beating us: no double coverage deep all day long. None. He does have the ability to just throw it deep; he has proven that his entire career. It's the short and medium stuff he can't complete if his life depended on it. And at half time, no adjustments were made whatsoever, and, had they, they win the game. But what do they do? Keep the dumb a$$ plan the same. The only thing that made it some what livable was that we had no chance beating anyone else left in the play offs regardless.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    OK, first, I was having some fun using Dan because of the geriatric talk. It doesn't matter if he's 80 or 20 years old, LeBeau is judged on his performance every year and I'm sure was again this year in his performance reviews. It's funny how when the D leads the league in scoring D it's not a true indicator, but when they drop? Oh noes!!
    To me, leading the league in scoring D is more indicative than leading in yards. I personally never said it was not a true indicator. But I do agree the 2012 D was not as good as its ranking. Not saying it was a horrible D, but at least 4 Ds were better that year. You GOT to put some pressure on the QB to be a top D. Short of having a backfield of 2 Deion Sanders and 2 Ronnie Lotts, you can't cover forever.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes to this. It is clear we fool no one. Like I have said many times, as a fan who watches every game which of you can't guess with 80% certainty who is rushing on any given play? If we know it what do you think the professionals know?

Troy is no longer the Troy of 5 years ago. You can't have him running all over the field out of position. His last great year with INTs was 2010 with 7. It is not a coincidence with him running all over the place and essentially being a key reason why we were one of the worst teams in the league for giving up long plays.
    /\ /\ /\ THIS. Essentially, Troy being out of place so often, is like us trying to defend with 10 defenders instead of 11. Yes, he did have his quickness back for the first time since he was hurt in 2010. (He was not right in the Super Bowl). But even though Troy had his cat like burst shooting into the backfield, he was too often left in no man's land, on his own accord. But what did the DC do about? Merely repeat how vast Troy's greatness was while the rest of us see a safety basically covering no one while deep balls are being completed. But once again, the announcers made mention of how Dick praises Troy up and down as the most instinctive player he has ever witnessed....as 3rd and 20 yards are being converted.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    To me, leading the league in scoring D is more indicative than leading in yards. I personally never said it was not a true indicator. But I do agree the 2012 D was not as good as its ranking. Not saying it was a horrible D, but at least 4 Ds were better that year. You GOT to put some pressure on the QB to be a top D. Short of having a backfield of 2 Deion Sanders and 2 Ronnie Lotts, you can't cover forever.
    I think you will find we all agree that we need to pressure the passer better than we have the last few years. I think that is a big reason the turnovers has gone down.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

/\ /\ /\ THIS. Essentially, Troy being out of place so often, is like us trying to defend with 10 defenders instead of 11. Yes, he did have his quickness back for the first time since he was hurt in 2010. (He was not right in the Super Bowl). But even though Troy had his cat like burst shooting into the backfield, he was too often left in no man's land, on his own accord. But what did the DC do about? Merely repeat how vast Troy's greatness was while the rest of us see a safety basically covering no one while deep balls are being completed. But once again, the announcers made mention of how Dick praises Troy up and down as the most instinctive player he has ever witnessed....as 3rd and 20 yards are being converted.
    ...very odd. Apparently it is very easy for opposing offenses to figure out this defense, but it is too complicated for the Steelers own rookies to learn..... seems rather strange....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    ...very odd. Apparently it is very easy for opposing offenses to figure out this defense, but it is too complicated for the Steelers own rookies to learn..... seems rather strange....
    Yes, strange and not making logical sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hellz to the nos.
    And with one line, all credibility from the post vanished...

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's rather obvious...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One of the things I gleaned the most from the 9ers and Seahawks was that both teams have invested heavily in pounding the rock.............and playing great D. Heck, Bill Cower must absolutely love the Seahawks the way they are put together. . Gore and BeastMode are integral factors in their offenses and then both quarterbacks have good days and bad days. I hope the final score in this weekends game is 13-10 and we get to watch an old fashioned Steelers Vs Ravens style game.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

It is easy to figure out how to block Jones, difficult to figure out how to block Harrison in his prime.
    It is easier to "figure out" how to beat aging Troy, Ike, and Clark, than when they were in their prime.
    It is far easier to figure out how to move any current NT than fat Casey the Hut. Ditto Aaron Smith.
    It is easier to burst by our 6th round rookie starting linebacker, than James Farrior.

You can beat ANY defense if they don't have the horses.

It ain't hard to understand.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher