Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worilds: What I don't understand

playing him on the wrong side didn't help, and is on the coaches, IMO. Lebeau as well as tomlin. Don't know why they couldn't have figured that out as he is a much different player on the left.

I wouldn't give woirlds more than 5 per year, and he won't sign for that, I don't believe. OLB may higher than we think on the draft board. Woirlds walks, grit your teeth and keep lamar one more year until the cap hit lessens, and draft 1 or 2 OLB prospects.

Hall of Famer
    That will be the thought process. They will try to lock up Worilds & if they are successful...They will discard Woodley. If they can't retain Worilds...Woodley will be here for '14. Woodley's contract averaged over 10 mil per season. Worilds will probably max between 7-8 mil. What is Worilds willing to stay for & what are the Steelers willing to pay is the unknown.

Woodley's last 4 season he played 50 games. Harrisons last 4 season here he played 56 games. Worilds first 4 years...57 games. Where was Worilds production the first three years? Well lets see. Before last year...Worilds had 10 starts out of the 42 games. In the same time frame Lamar Woodley had 39 starts out of 39 games. Harrison had 40 starts out of 40 games. Sacks over that time...Worilds 10, Woodley 23, & Harrison 25.5. Does anything stick out to you over those numbers? So let me go a step further. If you include '13 starts that would give Worilds 21 starts & 18 sacks. That would be 21/18 Worilds, 39/23 Woodley, & 40/25.5 Harrison. How is that comparison looking? In starting roles...That's .86 sacks a game for Worilds, .59 sacks a game for Woodley, & .64 sacks a game for Harrison. Lets "hypothetically" project his 2014 season off his 2013 season. 16 starts 96 TT & 12 sacks. That would put him at 37 starts & 30 sacks. Just curious...What's he worth now?

Hurt & Average most of his career? Nope. He played more games than Woodley & Harrison over that three year span. Average? How elite can you be with Woodley & Harrison starting 83% of the game & you are their back-up? Worilds won the starting job back...Stacked 10 starts in a row & produced 8 sacks. If he started 16 at LOLB...He may have been in the 12-14 sack range at 25. When Woodley was 25, he had a 13.5 sack season. When Harrison was 25 he played in 1 game and zeroed everything for the year. Harrison didn't become a full time starter until he was 29. You don't like the guy...SO be it. But average & often injured really has no grounds. The guy has shown production & at 25...The surface has only been scratched. There is a risk with any big paydays coming off rookie deals. Worilds last year of his rookie deal fell upon the year the Steelers released a legend & he got his shot. Call it coincidence or peculiar...Worilds produced.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel View Post
    The team did assess its talent, it drafted a OLB to back-up an oft injured back-up who never seized the opportunity when JH or LW were hurt. Then he got beat out by a rookie.
    I think the Steelers will offer him a fair contract based on his overall play, not the last 8 games of a contract year. Then its up to JW to decide if he wants to stay with a great organization or "take care of his family."
    I'm taking care of my family and you would too... sorry but unless the numbers are inches apart I don't see how a player stays on a team when he can get paid and be treated like the man on his new team.

Legend
    Worilds is great on the left side. Always has been. He just finally got a chance to play there in place of Woodley. I'd franchise him if I had to.

He doesn't just bring pressure, but he's a tackling machine to boot. He pretty much put up James Harrison type numbers in his stint this season on the left.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I wonder if it's an inability to assess the talent versus an inability to create enough cap room? If the former, we are pretty much doomed. If the latter, we should be coming out of being crippled by the cap soon. I'd hope that in the next few years, the Steelers get back to developing and signing their own and sprinkling in some key free agents. I truly believe that holding on to some of the core players of our SB runs in an attempt to make another run hurt this team and led to not getting younger players the playing time they needed in order to make correct evaluations. A coaching decision? A FO decision? An ownership decision? I think it was a decision made by all of them and they failed to prepare for the eventuality that those core guys were going to get old, slow, fat and injury prone.
    it's the inability to see what the young guys have to offer because you have vets who are proven and hard to replace... well, hard to replace until they fall off a cliff or get cut when we run out of money.

We tried to do it one more time and it bit us in the backside. usually we shed a few aging vets but lately we have been bringing them back. I often wonder if our old school approach isn't translating to these new kids we are drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    That will be the thought process. They will try to lock up Worilds & if they are successful...They will discard Woodley. If they can't retain Worilds...Woodley will be here for '14. Woodley's contract averaged over 10 mil per season. Worilds will probably max between 7-8 mil. What is Worilds willing to stay for & what are the Steelers willing to pay is the unknown.

Woodley's last 4 season he played 50 games. Harrisons last 4 season here he played 56 games. Worilds first 4 years...57 games. Where was Worilds production the first three years? Well lets see. Before last year...Worilds had 10 starts out of the 42 games. In the same time frame Lamar Woodley had 39 starts out of 39 games. Harrison had 40 starts out of 40 games. Sacks over that time...Worilds 10, Woodley 23, & Harrison 25.5. Does anything stick out to you over those numbers? So let me go a step further. If you include '13 starts that would give Worilds 21 starts & 18 sacks. That would be 21/18 Worilds, 39/23 Woodley, & 40/25.5 Harrison. How is that comparison looking? In starting roles...That's .86 sacks a game for Worilds, .59 sacks a game for Woodley, & .64 sacks a game for Harrison. Lets "hypothetically" project his 2014 season off his 2013 season. 16 starts 96 TT & 12 sacks. That would put him at 37 starts & 30 sacks. Just curious...What's he worth now?

Hurt & Average most of his career? Nope. He played more games than Woodley & Harrison over that three year span. Average? How elite can you be with Woodley & Harrison starting 83% of the game & you are their back-up? Worilds won the starting job back...Stacked 10 starts in a row & produced 8 sacks. If he started 16 at LOLB...He may have been in the 12-14 sack range at 25. When Woodley was 25, he had a 13.5 sack season. When Harrison was 25 he played in 1 game and zeroed everything for the year. Harrison didn't become a full time starter until he was 29. You don't like the guy...SO be it. But average & often injured really has no grounds. The guy has shown production & at 25...The surface has only been scratched. There is a risk with any big paydays coming off rookie deals. Worilds last year of his rookie deal fell upon the year the Steelers released a legend & he got his shot. Call it coincidence or peculiar...Worilds produced.
    If we take your stats at face value...and assume his role in the D (what he was being asked to do was rush the passer), ignoring the role of Harrison and Woodley...we could come to the conclusion that Worilds is one of the best OLBs to ever wear a Steeler jersey. So, if that is indeed true (which I clearly dont believe)...then how much MORE of a talent evaluation problem is the Worilds situation?

trying to think of guys who may have recently "set the market" for Worilds...

Connor Barwin - 2nd rounder, spent 4 years in Houston (one on IR it looks like) as a backup. Had a breakout season in 2011 with 11.5 sacks when he finally got some good playing. Signed with the Eagles last offseason for 6 yrs, 36M, 3M signing bonus, 8M overall guaranteed

Jarret Johnson - former 4th rounder, 9 years in Baltimore as a backup and sometimes starter. Signed with SD in 2012 - 4 yrs, 19M, 6M signing bonus, 7M guaranteed

Kamerion Wimbley - 2012 got 5 yrs, 35M, 9M SB, 13.5M guaranteed - had performed at or above Worilds's level for 6 years at that point

Paul Kruger - 2013 - after a 9 sack season as a starter he got 5 yrs, 40.5M, 6M SB, 20M guaranteed

to me...Worilds will likely command somewhere in that 6-8M/yr range based on the Barwin and Kruger contracts as the most comparable, but can probably get more guaranteed than Barwin did based on what Kruger got guaranteed

IMO - that's too much for a timeshare guy when we have Woodley and JJ there, unless they do something drastic with Woodley.
    Last edited by D Rock; 01-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Pro Bowler
    It's difficult to gauge Worlids' value due to his injury history and up and down play. Should he be played like a spot player or full time starter? I believe the team that over pays for him will make a mistake. One factor that Worlids has on his side is his age. One team might be willing to take a risk because he is young and has NFL experience.

I think if Orakpo and Worilds both get to free agency, some team will give Orakpo 10M+/yr and some other team will freak out and give Worilds 8M/yr

Hall of Famer
    I'm guessing I'm like most everyone else here in my opinion on Worilds. I don't think he is anything special... just an above average player when healthy. However, having said that, I don't know that I can recall an "old team" like us, who (in consecutive seasons) lets a 26-year old in his physical prime walk away (Lewis and now Worilds). I actually haven't minded seeing either go (because I thought each would be overpriced), but I don't think this is how good teams are built.