Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Worilds: What I don't understand

  1. #1

    Worilds: What I don't understand

    Reading recent threads and getting a general feel for public opinion about Worilds has left me scratching my head. So, I thought I would start a thread to discuss it.

    Worilds has been often injured, and got usurped by a rookie. He has a really great half of a season...the only good play I have seen from the guy...during a contract year mind you. So, why is it that many of us want to sign him to a fat contract in the offseason? He has had years to prove his worth and chooses to turn it on with 8 games left in his contract? That's when he is healthy and effective?

    How is that any better than Woodley? The Steelers are already on the hook for Woodleys contract. Why would we want to make the same mistake twice?

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    You "TRY" to keep Worilds because after an oft injured Woodley and an unproven JJ, you have absolutely nothing at the position. If you let him walk, you have to hope that Woodley can put together a good season so that the OLB you better have drafted this year has a season to develop. It's the organizations fault for not drafting better talent at the position in the past few years when they knew Harrison was aging and saw Woodley's play and health deteriorating. Then when they get a couple of undrafted prospects that seem to have potential, they cut them.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    You "TRY" to keep Worilds because after an oft injured Woodley and an unproven JJ, you have absolutely nothing at the position. If you let him walk, you have to hope that Woodley can put together a good season so that the OLB you better have drafted this year has a season to develop. It's the organizations fault for not drafting better talent at the position in the past few years when they knew Harrison was aging and saw Woodley's play and health deteriorating. Then when they get a couple of undrafted prospects that seem to have potential, they cut them.
    Agreed, you attempt to keep Worilds. Shoot, I want to keep Worilds. But, IMO you can't break the bank on him. He has to be willing to sign a mid tier contract.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Reading recent threads and getting a general feel for public opinion about Worilds has left me scratching my head. So, I thought I would start a thread to discuss it.

    Worilds has been often injured, and got usurped by a rookie. He has a really great half of a season...the only good play I have seen from the guy...during a contract year mind you. So, why is it that many of us want to sign him to a fat contract in the offseason? He has had years to prove his worth and chooses to turn it on with 8 games left in his contract? That's when he is healthy and effective?

    How is that any better than Woodley? The Steelers are already on the hook for Woodleys contract. Why would we want to make the same mistake twice?

    Discuss.
    I can only speak for myself, but I do believe many share my opinion on this. I don't want JW signed to a deal the size of LW's. But, if we could get him for something far more reasonable, I would be for that. Can we? IDK. But I would like to at least see if it could happen. But nothing in the 8 figures per year. No way. Let's see what the market dictates, but there are some teams with lots of cap space who could use him, if he would offer the play he did coming down the stretch this season. As far as why we would even want him.....maybe it took him this long to learn the super complex, tricky Dick Leboo system, like they endlessly tell us about.

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,890
    Where is Worilds rated when it comes to OLB in FA this year? I can't find anything but maybe I'm googling the wrong words.

    Edit: Found something.. he is rated pretty high on rotoworld.

    duece's Worilds
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-15-2014 at 03:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Despite being hurt and very average for most of his career he will command high dollar on the open market. This is an issue with knowing the talent you had. Can you imagine how easily we could have re-signed him last season. He would have jumped at the chance to play for the Steelers at 2 mil per season. Now...not so much. Our ability to assess our own talent is hurting the team.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Despite being hurt and very average for most of his career he will command high dollar on the open market. This is an issue with knowing the talent you had. Can you imagine how easily we could have re-signed him last season. He would have jumped at the chance to play for the Steelers at 2 mil per season. Now...not so much. Our ability to assess our own talent is hurting the team.
    The team did assess its talent, it drafted a OLB to back-up an oft injured back-up who never seized the opportunity when JH or LW were hurt. Then he got beat out by a rookie.
    I think the Steelers will offer him a fair contract based on his overall play, not the last 8 games of a contract year. Then its up to JW to decide if he wants to stay with a great organization or "take care of his family."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Despite being hurt and very average for most of his career he will command high dollar on the open market. This is an issue with knowing the talent you had. Can you imagine how easily we could have re-signed him last season. He would have jumped at the chance to play for the Steelers at 2 mil per season. Now...not so much. Our ability to assess our own talent is hurting the team.
    I wonder if it's an inability to assess the talent versus an inability to create enough cap room? If the former, we are pretty much doomed. If the latter, we should be coming out of being crippled by the cap soon. I'd hope that in the next few years, the Steelers get back to developing and signing their own and sprinkling in some key free agents. I truly believe that holding on to some of the core players of our SB runs in an attempt to make another run hurt this team and led to not getting younger players the playing time they needed in order to make correct evaluations. A coaching decision? A FO decision? An ownership decision? I think it was a decision made by all of them and they failed to prepare for the eventuality that those core guys were going to get old, slow, fat and injury prone.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    36
    If he could be brought back for a reasonable price, do it. But I also worry a little about guys who suddenly light it up in contract years (half-year in his case?). I really like glass-eating football players with the non-stop motors and a consistently nasty attitude. Sometimes, those guys are better found in Rounds 4-7 (something to prove).

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel View Post
    The team did assess its talent, it drafted a OLB to back-up an oft injured back-up who never seized the opportunity when JH or LW were hurt. Then he got beat out by a rookie.
    I think the Steelers will offer him a fair contract based on his overall play, not the last 8 games of a contract year. Then its up to JW to decide if he wants to stay with a great organization or "take care of his family."
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Yes, they assessed Worilds as being a talent through the draft...great. But, somewhere per coaching he was so bad that JJ a fresh rook replaced him. Through injury they find out...wow Worilds can play...but we had him on the wrong side all along. So, I'm not sure how anyone could say assessing their current talent isn't a problem...just like letting Heyward rot the bench until this season. The guy is a beast...how did they not see that?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •