Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worilds: What I don't understand

Legend

User Info Menu

The same thing happened with Worilds that happened with Lewis, both players didn't play well until the final year of their rookie contract. The Steelers like to sign their players the year prior to their final year, that's how they get a "discount" by offering some security a year early and with a nice pay increase. The problem is that the Steelers couldn't do that with Lewis or Worilds because neither played particularly well the year prior to their final contract year. Then when they played well in the final year there are 31 other teams willing to enter the bidding war for the player.

Signing players the year before allows the Steelers to negotiate without other teams bidding up the price, negotiating in the contract year (free agency) puts you in the mix with every other team that could use their services and the price gets bid up.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm surprised at the size of the contracts others have posted for past OLB FA signings and how that may be the same for Woirlds. I was thinking 3mil/yr or 4mil/yr at the top end. I'm definitely in the minority on this one. I thought he had a great year but I just don't see the market going that route this year for him.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

The market is what others will pay for ... unfortunately, by showing himself as a "possible" up and comer IN THE LAST YEAR of his contract, Worilds will have many teams willing to bet that he's just scratched his potential and he won't revert back

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Yes, they assessed Worilds as being a talent through the draft...great. But, somewhere per coaching he was so bad that JJ a fresh rook replaced him. Through injury they find out...wow Worilds can play...but we had him on the wrong side all along. So, I'm not sure how anyone could say assessing their current talent isn't a problem...just like letting Heyward rot the bench until this season. The guy is a beast...how did they not see that?
    I suppose it means not all old dogs (or young) can be taught new tricks.

BTW, I came across an interesting article on NFL defensive schemes (much too long to post) and it was very enlightening. NE places very high value on 'smart' players that can play multiple positions on defense. Bellichick's defensive scheme fits no category but is an amalgam of everything. Very strong emphasis on speed, tackling and knowing where to be. Too complicated for Steeler fans I am sure, but very effective because there is no 'system' to fit players, but the players must be flexible enough and smart enough to play from different parts of the field. Also had details on DL's fire zone scheme. It can be defeated in several ways, but "it's one of the most consistently effective schemes in the NFL". It's origins were in preventing big plays and playing safe defense, very familiar themes for PIT fans.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 01-16-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Backup

User Info Menu

It's not rocket science. We are in a tough spot regarding backers because we have been taking nothing but flyers in regards to the position for years now.

Be that in terms of drafting said backers that absolutely do not fit the system and or drafting other players that do not from a perspective of pride on a personal basis that is and was not condusive to the overall health of the organization.

Backup

User Info Menu

It's not rocket science. We are in a tough spot regarding backers because we have been taking nothing but flyers in regards to the position for years now.

Be that in terms of drafting said backers that absolutely do not fit the system and or drafting other players that do not because of a perspective of pride on a personal basis.

But nothing can be done to change the past. Here's to "waking up" going forward.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post

Be that in terms of drafting said backers that absolutely do not fit the system and or drafting other players that do not from a perspective of pride on a personal basis that is and was not condusive to the overall health of the organization.
    We have two first rounders, and two second rounders as our backers. Two of those picks in recent years.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

We have two first rounders, and two second rounders as our backers. Two of those picks in recent years.
    The problem is that Timmons is the only elite LB we have. Running the 3-4 successfully you need at least 2 and preferably 3 who can play at the elite or near elite level.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The problem is that Timmons is the only elite LB we have. Running the 3-4 successfully you need at least 2 and preferably 3 who can play at the elite or near elite level.

No argument here. My comment was in regards to Rod saying the Steelers only taking flyers on the LB position.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If we take your stats at face value...and assume his role in the D (what he was being asked to do was rush the passer), ignoring the role of Harrison and Woodley...we could come to the conclusion that Worilds is one of the best OLBs to ever wear a Steeler jersey. So, if that is indeed true (which I clearly dont believe)...then how much MORE of a talent evaluation problem is the Worilds situation?
    I would hope you know that isn't want I am indicating. I am showing that his play & numbers justifies a nice contract and that the "injury prone" & "lack of production" commentS aren't justified.