Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we'd gotten in ... but didn't go all the way ... would it be the O or D?

Legend

User Info Menu

If we'd gotten in ... but didn't go all the way ... would it be the O or D?

Would it be the O or the D that let us down?

FWIW, I think it's a thousand times more likely that the defense would have kept us from winning this Lombardi if we'd gotten in. We'd be shredded by each of these teams that are playing. Ben and Leveon and our surprising Oline would have scored good points. But we would have seen Troy running straight to the wrong part of the field, Ike getting burned/PI, no pressure on the QB ... I honestly think it would have been embarassing.

Not making the playoffs this year is a wake up call in the FO's eyes, some people have written. But, I think a complete shellacking on D in the playoffs would have been an even bigger one. I'm kind of worried that the upward trajectory we had in the 2nd half of the season might convince the deciders that things really aren't that bad on D, and make decisions accordingly.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Would it be the O or the D that let us down?

FWIW, I think it's a thousand times more likely that the defense would have kept us from winning this Lombardi if we'd gotten in. We'd be shredded by each of these teams that are playing. Ben and Leveon and our surprising Oline would have scored good points. But we would have seen Troy running straight to the wrong part of the field, Ike getting burned/PI, no pressure on the QB ... I honestly think it would have been embarassing.

Not making the playoffs this year is a wake up call in the FO's eyes, some people have written. But, I think a complete shellacking on D in the playoffs would have been an even bigger one. I'm kind of worried that the upward trajectory we had in the 2nd half of the season might convince the deciders that things really aren't that bad on D, and make decisions accordingly.
    That is the sentiment I got from Rooney IIs interview recently. A strong finish has masked some troubling trends.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we could beat anyone in the playoffs. I remember thinking coming out of training camp this team would start slow and finish strong. And I remember being most concerned about the DLine more than any unit. I didn't think we'd start so slow, but this season played out close to the way I expected other than us sneaking into the playoffs and surprising some teams.

On D, we have to tackle better and get to the QB. Losing Larry Foote probably hurt us more than anyone would ever be willing to admit. I think getting him back or a competent ILB in his spot is enough to get us over the hump and into the playoffs next year. Heyward's a huge boost to the DLine that I didn't expect. And he could use a little help up front. Outside of his play we're not dominating the LOS.

Heyward is a beast on the left. We could definitely benefit big time if Woodley or JJ emerges on the right. I'd still look at adding some depth at OLB in the draft. I'd look as early as round 1 if Barr somehow dropped. We need a pass rush from the right and it's been non existent. We're about 3 players away from being dominant in the front 7. I think we can get by in the secondary with what we have right now and should add some depth. It'd be nice to shore some things up in FA, but we're not as far away as we were early in the year.

Legend

User Info Menu

we would have been out played on Offense and Defense and for good measure, out coached also
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    That is the sentiment I got from Rooney IIs interview recently. A strong finish has masked some troubling trends.
    Which way do you mean, Thor ... that RII wasn't blinded by the great finish to the season, or that he used as validation to not shake things up a bit (a lot)?

Flippy, I hear what you're saying, and I'm not a numbers guy who can back anything up, but IIRC Pottsie was as often as not a step (or two) behind on all the crossing routes. And of course that was before he got injured.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Which way do you mean, Thor ... that RII wasn't blinded by the great finish to the season, or that he used as validation to not shake things up a bit (a lot)?

Flippy, I hear what you're saying, and I'm not a numbers guy who can back anything up, but IIRC Pottsie was as often as not a step (or two) behind on all the crossing routes. And of course that was before he got injured.
    I perceived it as the latter... that the strong finish left a good taste in the mouths of the FO and things would not be changed drastically.
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

I perceived it as the latter... that the strong finish left a good taste in the mouths of the FO and things would not be changed drastically.
    For that I am truly sorrowful.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

it could be media filtering of Art's comments though. But my take was they had a "settled" feeling for this year's results. I would be more enthusiastic about a mild tantrum by the FO proclaiming this is not the road we want the team to take. And they were going to do everything in their power to get back to prominence. I'm sure that's their goal but its reassuring to hear it stated.
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

it could be media filtering of Art's comments though. But my take was they had a "settled" feeling for this year's results. I would be more enthusiastic about a mild tantrum by the FO proclaiming this is not the road we want the team to take. And they were going to do everything in their power to get back to prominence. I'm sure that's their goal but its reassuring to hear it stated.
    Exactly... it almost has the feel of "We accept this outcome"...

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully the F/O is just blowing smoke to hide the fact they're going to do a little cleaning. I would cut Woodley when it becomes monetarily beneficial. Ike and Troy will need to take big cuts to remain Steelers. I would also be willing to flirt with anything Big Ben could do to help us out with the Salary Cap. I would be willing to ask him to take a huge pay cut this year and promise, as a Rooney, to make it up in a signing bonus come new contract time. I know that will never happen, but I bet it could be done.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S