Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is LeBeau system really that complicated or

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is LeBeau system really that complicated or

Is it his love for the veterans?
    How could Farrior, Clark even Kendrell B come in and start day one if its so complicated . Was Art Rooney II referring to DL last off season when he said we have to find a way to get younger players on the field. Did the article about what Worilds said about not to expect to play have some merit. Thoughts?
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Farrior and Clark werent rookies... its much easier to come in and be a student of the game if you already completed undergrad classes. Bell was the exception... and lets be honest. Bell was 15 years ago, if you have to go back 15 years it says something about the system.
    Fot 99% of rookies its too complicated to grasp and play well the first year or 2. Once you learn it though.. its like making tenure, its very hard to lose your spot. It worked though for years when we had time to develop players.

Moving forward we have to continue to put youth on the field earlier so we can make sure we get a true evaluation of talent. We cant continue to have these Worilds vs Woodley, Lewis vs FA deals. We were great at recognizing talent and letting the older vet walk. Hopefully this is just an unfortunate transition and we will get back to recognizing who has more talent/upside.

I prefer youth who kind of know the playbook but has raw talent over the playbook scholar who is too old to make the tackle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

But playing in a 4-3 oppose to 3-4 has to be apples to oranges. If a player is smart well then he's smart. Are you telling me all our draft picks are dumb as rocks, or are they being held back because of trust. Why do so many other 3-4 teams start rookies? Bellicheat system seam to be on par if not more complicated than DL system, because they run a variation of 4-3, 3-4. Don't get me wrong when I played HS football we had a coach who played all of his seniors regardless of the talent level and was a old school type coach. Regardless I don't believe our 3-4 is that much more complicated than any one else, so why do they rookies see the field?
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Farrior and Clark were natural leaders IMO. Regardless of 3-4 or 4-3 once a player has a few years under his belt and has a routine ots much easier to adapt. Its like any other job... doesnt really matter how great you were in college it will usually be much easier for a guy with 5 years experience to come in and perform his duties regardless of the learning curve vs a college graduate who has never had a full time job in his industry.

Bell started because he had raw talent and we limited his playbook. More of our rookies could do the same if we didnt force square pegs into round holes. Sometimes it feels/looks like we break our defensive players down and then build them back up into what we want on D vs letting them do what they did to be on oilur draft board.

I dont think our guys are dumb... but sometimes I think its dumb to have a baller learning our britanica playbook. Look at offense... we tend to see more guys on O play earlier and get more production from guys like Bell, Wallace, Pouncey, Ben, etc.

The pats definitely get more out of their players but I think its because Billicheat is willing to switch from 3-4 to 4-3 from week to week depending on personnel.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

The pats definitely get more out of their players but I think its because Billicheat is willing to switch from 3-4 to 4-3 from week to week depending on personnel.
    You would think that would be harder for the players though. Trying to learn two alignments and their responsibilities. And you know damn well Belicheat is NOT going to put someone out there who is not prepared. Maybe the difference is the preparation demanded by that coaching staff? IDK the difference, but Jamie Collins had a great game last night for a rookie. Vontaze Burfict had a great year last season for the Bengals as a rookie. Maybe the DC simplifies the game plan some and lets them be athletes.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Some of you would screw up Heinz ketchup attempting to make it better. The Steelers have a philosophy in place that's been consistently successful for a long long time. I don't see any reason why they should drastically change their philosophy.

Some of you need to get over the fact that the Steelers defense isn't going to be the best defense every season. Like all defenses they are going to have down years for different reasons.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Some of you would screw up Heinz ketchup attempting to make it better. The Steelers have a philosophy in place that's been consistently successful for a long long time. I don't see any reason why they should drastically change their philosophy.

Some of you need to get over the fact that the Steelers defense isn't going to be the best defense every season. Like all defenses they are going to have down years for different reasons.
    Well, they could use organic tomatoes...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

The ketchup this year was sour... sometimes you have to adjust the recipe if the tomatoes are a little old.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    You would think that would be harder for the players though. Trying to learn two alignments and their responsibilities. And you know damn well Belicheat is NOT going to put someone out there who is not prepared. Maybe the difference is the preparation demanded by that coaching staff? IDK the difference, but Jamie Collins had a great game last night for a rookie. Vontaze Burfict had a great year last season for the Bengals as a rookie. Maybe the DC simplifies the game plan some and lets them be athletes.
    Adjusting to the players you really have on the roster and not running the defense like you still had players who aren't there...what a concept!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Adjusting to the players you really have on the roster and not running the defense like you still had players who aren't there...what a concept!
    Like realizing that you didn't have a legitimate NT, and playing 65% of the snaps without the NT on the field? Or realizing that you had problems at ILB, and moving your SS to fill that spot?