Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is LeBeau system really that complicated or

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Adjusting to the players you really have on the roster and not running the defense like you still had players who aren't there...what a concept!
    How do you adjust to players who are not that good?
    You wonder why W Gay plays with a huge cushion? He ain't Rod Woodson and would get toasted routinely if he played tight all the time.
    DL adjusts to his talent ALL THE TIME.
    Troy and Lake looked like they played a different position at strong safety.

You guys want to pretend we have talent we don't have.
    You can ADJUST all day long and it won't fix old and poor draft picks.

If the tomatoes are rotten you are a moron to blame the proven recipe for a bad batch of ketchup.
    Blame the guy who stocks the fridge with produce.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-13-2014 at 12:33 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

was lebeau even with the steelers when Bell was a rookie?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    LeBeau was with the Bengals in 2001
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tim Lewis was the DC perhaps??
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Same defense, if I'm not mistaken DL coached the Steelers before becoming Bengal HC. Got fired and returned.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Same defense, if I'm not mistaken DL coached the Steelers before becoming Bengal HC. Got fired and returned.
    so... all this talk about Bell and DL wasn't even here when he played his rookie year? That's rich... very rich.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not necessarily Bell but outsider Free agents.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    How do you adjust to players who are not that good?
    You wonder why W Gay plays with a huge cushion? He ain't Rod Woodson and would get toasted routinely if he played tight all the time.
    DL adjusts to his talent ALL THE TIME.
    Troy and Lake looked like they played a different position at strong safety.

You guys want to pretend we have talent we don't have.
    You can ADJUST all day long and it won't fix old and poor draft picks.

If the tomatoes are rotten you are a moron to blame the proven recipe for a bad batch of ketchup.
    Blame the guy who stocks the fridge with produce.
    I would agree to an extent. But, even in Ike's hay day he was playing off the ball alot. It was that bend but don't break, keep the ball in front of you mentality. LeBeau's D's have always been about slowing up the D, hoping to come up with a big sack...or the D making a mistake. It limited big plays.

With that said, your comments on talent are warranted. The Steelers have almost no secondary talent. The front 7 needs a NT and an ILB. The D is bad. It's certainly not all on LeBeau. With that said, if the Steelers go status quo, hoping to grab a couple rookies who will rarely play in order to change this D next season they have another thing coming. They need to sign Worilds first. Then they need to make a grab at a middle tier FA or two at the least.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Man, I'm not even an Xs and Os guy, but I think I know what the Steelers try to do on defense. They want to make the offense one dimensional and they don't want to give up big plays, ie, they want an offense to have to run 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 plays to score points, because there's a good chance on long drives that the offense will make a mistake that the defense can then capitalize on. It has worked for a very long time, the past 2 years the two things the defense needs to happen, didn't happen, they couldn't make a team one dimensional and they gave up big plays and it showed in the defense's mediocre showing.

What the Steelers need is another good draft (It appears that last year's is going to be pretty good) to make up for 2008 and 2009. The style, scheme and coordinator really aren't the problem from where I'm sitting in the cheap seats. The FO may be the biggest reason the defense has suffered the past two years.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Man, I'm not even an Xs and Os guy, but I think I know what the Steelers try to do on defense. They want to make the offense one dimensional and they don't want to give up big plays, ie, they want an offense to have to run 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 plays to score points, because there's a good chance on long drives that the offense will make a mistake that the defense can then capitalize on. It has worked for a very long time, the past 2 years the two things the defense needs to happen, didn't happen, they couldn't make a team one dimensional and they gave up big plays and it showed in the defense's mediocre showing.

What the Steelers need is another good draft (It appears that last year's is going to be pretty good) to make up for 2008 and 2009. The style, scheme and coordinator really aren't the problem from where I'm sitting in the cheap seats. The FO may be the biggest reason the defense has suffered the past two years.

Pappy
    agreed.
    problem is the 2008 draft was declared a good draft
    the 2009 was declared a good draft
    the 2010 draft was supposed to be good
    etc etc etc.
    evey year the fans proclaim A- drafts only to have them turn into C-
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown