Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Is LeBeau system really that complicated or

  1. #31
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    It's kinda funny what you say about "No other team has this problem, to this extent". I just happened to be browsing a Packer forum the other day and saw a thread about Dom Capers. In it they were discussing what a couple of Packer players had said on a local radio show. Here is part of the post which I hope everybody will find as amusing as I did ...





    Sound familiar? This is the same system that Steeler fans on this board were praising back in 2010 wondering why we couldn't implement it. Why our system was so complicated ... why our young players didn't see the field? The same b!tching and moaning as our fans but nothing that a few talented players wouldn't cure.

    C'mon, you have to at least chuckle about it.
    another 3-4 ZB scheme. probably not a coincidence

    clay matthews did great in his rookie year though

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    All I know is I am sick as s---t of having to hear how complex it is, and how long it takes players to grasp it. No other team has this problem, to this extent. Now that we were merely middle of the pack on D, it's time to re-evaluate his "system" or maybe weather he should retire at this point.

    This year, we were even soft vs. the rush. That is never supposed to happen.

    And you know this about other teams exactly how?? based on what information??

    Riddle this; which teams were best at making the opponent QB look bad?

    Seattle?
    San Fran?
    New Eng?
    Carolina?

  3. #33
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    1,991
    All I know is that Rooney himself said that they need to find a way to get younger players on the field and he's definitely is not talking about the offense. Young players on offense crack the lineup even when they change OC along with the playbook.

  4. #34
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,128
    A rookie started 11 games at ILB.
    A rookie started 8 games at OLB.
    A rookie started 2 games at safety.

    LeBeau can't win with some fans, so I am glad he doesn't have to heed them. If he starts a rookie and the rookie plays poorly, it's the 'system' being too complex. If the rookie sits because he needs to learn, DL is ripped because he is not playing them.

  5. #35
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,987
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A rookie started 11 games at ILB.
    A rookie started 8 games at OLB.
    A rookie started 2 games at safety.

    LeBeau can't win with some fans, so I am glad he doesn't have to heed them. If he starts a rookie and the rookie plays poorly, it's the 'system' being too complex. If the rookie sits because he needs to learn, DL is ripped because he is not playing them.
    If a rookie starts and plays well... oh wait, that doesnt happen.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If a rookie starts and plays well... oh wait, that doesnt happen.
    Dizz you guys claim that "the problem" is that he doesnt play rookies.....
    The premise of this thread is that the defense IS NOT TOO COMPLICATED he just favors veterans.
    HE DID WHAT YOU GUYS SCREAM FOR THIS YEAR IN A BIG WAY.
    The result was the WORST DEFENSE AS STEELER DC.

    Again blame the guy buying the groceries.

    We draft a slow weak linebacker in the first round. How can DL "coach" him to success when the kid says himself THAT HE MUST GET STRONGER in the offseason. The kid has skill but is simply not physically strong enough to come close to replacing a fraction of what AGING Harrison was last year.
    DL is forced to start A SIXTH ROUND ROOKIE linebacker. Is he supposed to coach him into a star rookie with a magic wand?
    Thomas has great measurable but EVERY TEAM THAT NEEDED A SAFETY BADLY PASSED ON HIM including his college coach who drafted another safety.

    Playing rookies just to do it aint a solution.
    This year is proof.

  7. #37
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A rookie started 11 games at ILB.
    A rookie started 8 games at OLB.
    A rookie started 2 games at safety.

    .
    1. because there was an injury to a starter. do you really belive DL replaces his signal caller if a rookie looks better then a Vet?
    2. he was the 15th pick in the draft. a guy "we couldnt believe was there" when our pick in the draft came up
    why all the excitement for such a below average performance

  8. #38
    Backup tiproast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    East Overshoe
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    1. because there was an injury to a starter. do you really belive DL replaces his signal caller if a rookie looks better then a Vet?
    2. he was the 15th pick in the draft. a guy "we couldnt believe was there" when our pick in the draft came up
    why all the excitement for such a below average performance
    Linebacker in the NFL is a tough position to learn for many first year players. Sure, there are the Kuechley's that come along every now and then, but it often takes a year or two of learning what's going on out there and to recognize and react quickly enough to be able to make plays.

    Jamie Collins on the Pats looked like a beast against the Colts, but it took most of the entire 2013 season to become a contributor. Lots of Pats fans were wondering whether Belichick had missed on a 2nd round pick again.

    I recommend a little more patience with Jones - the light bulb might never go on, but then again he might only be a game or two away from having everything start to click for him.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

  9. #39
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Dizz you guys claim that "the problem" is that he doesnt play rookies.....
    The premise of this thread is that the defense IS NOT TOO COMPLICATED he just favors veterans.
    HE DID WHAT YOU GUYS SCREAM FOR THIS YEAR IN A BIG WAY.
    The result was the WORST DEFENSE AS STEELER DC.

    Again blame the guy buying the groceries.

    We draft a slow weak linebacker in the first round. How can DL "coach" him to success when the kid says himself THAT HE MUST GET STRONGER in the offseason. The kid has skill but is simply not physically strong enough to come close to replacing a fraction of what AGING Harrison was last year.
    DL is forced to start A SIXTH ROUND ROOKIE linebacker. Is he supposed to coach him into a star rookie with a magic wand?
    Thomas has great measurable but EVERY TEAM THAT NEEDED A SAFETY BADLY PASSED ON HIM including his college coach who drafted another safety.

    Playing rookies just to do it aint a solution.
    This year is proof.
    No... the argument was always to play rookies EARLIER when our backs weren't against the wall so we wouldn't be in this position.

    We didn't want DL to play rookies "just to do it".....

    We wanted him to play more rookies and second year guys because we knew this day was coming where we would have a high turnover due to age/cap/injury and we didn't want a bunch of rookies to step into a D that many believe IS too complex for them to step in and perform at a decent level.

  10. #40
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Dizz you guys claim that "the problem" is that he doesnt play rookies.....
    The premise of this thread is that the defense IS NOT TOO COMPLICATED he just favors veterans.
    HE DID WHAT YOU GUYS SCREAM FOR THIS YEAR IN A BIG WAY.
    The result was the WORST DEFENSE AS STEELER DC.

    Again blame the guy buying the groceries.

    We draft a slow weak linebacker in the first round. How can DL "coach" him to success when the kid says himself THAT HE MUST GET STRONGER in the offseason. The kid has skill but is simply not physically strong enough to come close to replacing a fraction of what AGING Harrison was last year.
    DL is forced to start A SIXTH ROUND ROOKIE linebacker. Is he supposed to coach him into a star rookie with a magic wand?
    Thomas has great measurable but EVERY TEAM THAT NEEDED A SAFETY BADLY PASSED ON HIM including his college coach who drafted another safety.

    Playing rookies just to do it aint a solution.
    This year is proof.

    tomlin needs to stay out of the war room on draft day
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •