Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Butler to Join Whiz?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Butler to Join Whiz?

According to a report from Jerry Dulac, if Whiz gets a HC job and tries to recruit Butler as his DC, Butler is likely to join him, or to take any other opportunity that arises.

Former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt interviewed with the Detroit Lions for two hours last night and will meet with the Tennessee Titans today and Cleveland Browns on Saturday about their vacant head-coach positions.

If Whisenhunt gets one of the jobs, and there is a good chance he will, it could affect the Steelers.

There is a good possibility Whisenhunt will try to hire Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler as his defensive coordinator, something he tried to do in 2007 when he left the Steelers to become head coach in Arizona.

However, the Steelers blocked that move by refusing to grant permission for the Cardinals to speak with Butler. At the time, the Steelers indicated to Butler he was the successor to Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator when LeBeau retires.

Two years ago, Butler turned down a chance to become defensive coordinator in Indianapolis to remain with the Steelers, thinking LeBeau was nearing the end of his coaching career.

But all that has changed.

This time, several sources have indicated Butler would leave the Steelers to become a defensive coordinator if he is offered the opportunity.
    [URL]http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/7347bd54-56cc-4e2e-9800-88bbe246b86f/?source=twitter&repost=120[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't blame Butler if he wanted to leave. He's been waiting for LeBeau to retire for a long time now.

Backup

User Info Menu

The other issue is that Butler may not be the slam dunk, guaranteed successor any more. Carnell Lake could get some play for the job when LeBeau decides to go.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    The other issue is that Butler may not be the slam dunk, guaranteed successor any more. Carnell Lake could get some play for the job when LeBeau decides to go.
    Interesting. Any reason you might think that?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Interesting. Any reason you might think that?
    As far as I know, nothing like that has been stated in the media. However, it doesn't take much of a leap to make this connection. Lake has now played and coached in Pittsburgh. He's done a good job of developing the defensive backs ... Eventually Lake will get his shot at being a DC ... may or may not happen with the Steelers. Of course if Butler goes, you'd have to think that increases the odds that Lake will get his shot with the Steelers

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    As far as I know, nothing like that has been stated in the media. However, it doesn't take much of a leap to make this connection. Lake has now played and coached in Pittsburgh. He's done a good job of developing the defensive backs ... Eventually Lake will get his shot at being a DC ... may or may not happen with the Steelers. Of course if Butler goes, you'd have to think that increases the odds that Lake will get his shot with the Steelers
    what he said... just idle speculation to fill a quiet, playoff - less January Friday afternoon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I get that his chances increase without Butler around. What I was wondering is why he would have a leg up on Butler. There was nothing that I'd heard about that, so I was curious if Butler somehow fell out of favor or something.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I get that his chances increase without Butler around. What I was wondering is why he would have a leg up on Butler. There was nothing that I'd heard about that, so I was curious if Butler somehow fell out of favor or something.
    I think Butler may just be getting tired of waiting. Seems to be a situation like Prince Charles waiting for the Queen to die someday. Sooner or later Butler has to realize he isn't getting younger either.

What would be curious is a LeBeau 3-4 disciple going to a 4-3 team with probably the most talented def line in the league. Wonder if Butler is really a fit.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

See ya...he's a funny guy, but I don't know what makes him so sweet that he was a coach in waiting? Maybe his teaching style? Who knows...
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Who would replace Butler as LeBeau's replacement if he took off to be Whiz's DC?
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa