Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Butler to Join Whiz?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I get that his chances increase without Butler around. What I was wondering is why he would have a leg up on Butler. There was nothing that I'd heard about that, so I was curious if Butler somehow fell out of favor or something.
    I think Butler may just be getting tired of waiting. Seems to be a situation like Prince Charles waiting for the Queen to die someday. Sooner or later Butler has to realize he isn't getting younger either.

What would be curious is a LeBeau 3-4 disciple going to a 4-3 team with probably the most talented def line in the league. Wonder if Butler is really a fit.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

i thought teams had to let their coaches interview if the position was a promotion
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i thought teams had to let their coaches interview if the position was a promotion
    I think they only have to let them interview for head coach positions. I believe that they can deny permission for coordinator interviews.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Who would replace Butler as LeBeau's replacement if he took off to be Whiz's DC?
    Carnell Lake is an obvious in-house choice. If they looked outside, maybe Kevin Greene or Darren Perry, both of whom are working under Capers? Maybe Ray Horton if he is let go by the Browns? If Lebeau stays another year and Rex Ryan gets fired, he would be an interesting choice.

Legend

User Info Menu

no offense but why are people acting like lake is the obvious choice?
    the guy isnt really qualified to be a DC. hell, he hasnt even proved himself to be a great db coach
    just because the guy was a great player it doesnt make him a good coach.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Backup

User Info Menu

The "Coach in Waiting" model was in vogue a few years ago, but has lost popularity for exactly this reason. If you find somebody good enough to take over, he's obviously a guy who will be in demand. If you force the current holder of the chair out, you end up with bruised egos. If you let him hang around, the "in waiting" finds a better offer elsewhere. The former situation? FSU with Bowden/Fisher. The latter? Texas with Brown/Muschamp. The Rooneys run the type of organization where I see LeBeau hanging out as long as he wants.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If this were to happen, and Butler does happen to be an outstanding coordinator, it would end up being another sign of a complacent organization living in the past. In 2011, analysts were calling our defense old. At the time, players and many fans bristled at the thought, citing a "#1 defense" ranking at the end of the year. But the reality was--we were old. Fast forward two years later, and we are seeing the same sort of thing.

In this case, people like me are saying that Lebeau (while a great contributor in the past), is more a passenger at this point (than he is a driver). Losing someone the caliber of Butler, because we refuse to see the truth, would hurt. Obviously, Lebeau is pretty much penciled in this year and beyond (short of a defensive debacle next year), but I would like to see Butler get his chance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    The "Coach in Waiting" model was in vogue a few years ago, but has lost popularity for exactly this reason. If you find somebody good enough to take over, he's obviously a guy who will be in demand. If you force the current holder of the chair out, you end up with bruised egos. If you let him hang around, the "in waiting" finds a better offer elsewhere. The former situation? FSU with Bowden/Fisher. The latter? Texas with Brown/Muschamp. The Rooneys run the type of organization where I see LeBeau hanging out as long as he wants.
    Sounds like the Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Fallon triangle to me.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    If this were to happen, and Butler does happen to be an outstanding coordinator, it would end up being another sign of a complacent organization living in the past. In 2011, analysts were calling our defense old. At the time, players and many fans bristled at the thought, citing a "#1 defense" ranking at the end of the year. But the reality was--we were old. Fast forward two years later, and we are seeing the same sort of thing.

In this case, people like me are saying that Lebeau (while a great contributor in the past), is more a passenger at this point (than he is a driver). Losing someone the caliber of Butler, because we refuse to see the truth, would hurt. Obviously, Lebeau is pretty much penciled in this year and beyond (short of a defensive debacle next year), but I would like to see Butler get his chance.
    I wonder ... what have we seen that actually says that losing Butler would be losing someone of great caliber? A whole bunch of folks on here have stated that Timmons isn't "THAT" good, Woodley is fat and complacent, Worilds only broke out this year because it's a contract year, JJ didn't progress enough as a rookie, Carter NEVER progressed, Sly is still really just a special teams player, and Williams is still a liability in coverage etc. etc. Taking that point of view (and I am playing Devil's Advocate here), Butler has underperformed as a position coach and should not be given the keys to Defense. In fact, maybe Tomlin should be looking for his replacement.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

Yep, an example of loyal to a fault. The players don't get to just stay as long as they want so why should the coaches. Change is not bad.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"