Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since it looks like Vandy's Frankin's going to PSU could we get Munchak for OL coach?

Legend

User Info Menu

Since it looks like Vandy's Frankin's going to PSU could we get Munchak for OL coach?

The Titans were apparently willing to give head coach Mike Munchak an extension and a raise if he would make certain changes to his staff, but the immensely loyal Munchak parted ways with the only professional organization he has known (he has been a player or coach for the Oilers/Titans every year since being chosen 8th overall in the 1982 draft). Everyone assumed that this would lead to being hired as head coach at his alma mater Penn State after Bill O'Brien left for the Texans job, but now it looks like PSU if offering the job to Vanderbilt's head coach James Franklin, and all indications are that he will accept.

So where does that leave Munchak? He interviewed for the head coaching position with the Detroit Lions, but it is widely expected that that job will go to Ken Whisenhunt. Before Munchak replaced Jeff Fisher as head coach, he was the OL coach for the Titans ever since they moved to Tennessee from Houston. He was never a O.C. playcaller, so if he does not get a head coaching gig again, he would likely be back in line for another OL coach gig once again.

He is a PA native (northeast, though, not southwest). Up here in my neck of the woods in NEPA, they named the street where they built the new Scranton High School after him. He brings extensive coaching experience and also has the cache of being a Hall of Fame offensive lineman as a player as well.

Thoughts on the possibilities of bringing Coach Munchak to the Burgh to replace Bicknell?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would be very happy with Munchak as our new OL coach, but indications are that Ray Brown the Carolina Panthers' OL coach is our leading candidate at this point.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I would be very happy with Munchak as our new OL coach, but indications are that Ray Brown the Carolina Panthers' OL coach is our leading candidate at this point.
    I've heard that also but why would Brown take a lateral? I know the Steelers are a class organization but the Panthers seem to be up and coming.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What is not to like about Munchak coming aboard. I mentioned this in another post a couple days ago, but thought it was a pipe dream. Still seems like a long shot to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I've heard that also but why would Brown take a lateral? I know the Steelers are a class organization but the Panthers seem to be up and coming.
    Ray Brown is the assistant OL coach in Carolina (John Matsko is the OL coach there), so it would be a promotion for Brown, not a lateral move.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Is this a good or bad choice? I'm not familiar with OL coaches until they are with the Steelers..so I don't know who would be good or not. Can anyone give some other ideas (adding Ray Brown to the list)?
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Is this a good or bad choice? I'm not familiar with OL coaches until they are with the Steelers..so I don't know who would be good or not. Can anyone give some other ideas (adding Ray Brown to the list)?
    He seems to have a great track record with developing young offensive line talent at Carolina and at San Fran. Both have been known to have good ground attacks and off. lines these past few years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers will interview Shaun Sarrett for offensive line coach job

By Neal Coolong on Jan 9 2014

Assistant offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett allegedly was maintaining many of the team's offensive line coach responsibilities over the second half of the year. He'll get a chance to discuss the position on a full-time basis.

If it was fixed, why look to break it?

The Pittsburgh Steelers will interview assistant offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett for the team's open offensive line coaching position, Gerry Dulac reported Thursday.

Sarrett was said to have taken an active role in much of the unit's preparation as the season progressed in 2013. The team fired Jack Bicknell Jr. after one season with the team. Some reported Bicknell's role was diminished as the season wore on.

Pittsburgh allowed 43 saclks over the first eight games of the season. They only allowed 12 in the final eight games, just missing out on the postseason despite an 0-4 start.

Sarrett should be considered the front-runner for the position, having spent the last two years with the team. The Steelers are reportedly also interested in Carolina assistant offensive line coach Ray Brown.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/1/9/5293170/steelers-shaun-sarrett-interview-offensive-line-coach[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Of the outside candidates mentioned, I like Ray Brown's track record. However, given the improvement that Shaun Sarrett oversaw, I would also put him near the top of my list as well.

Munchak would be nice, too, but I think there is a potential issue there. Would it be seen as firing a shot across the bow of Tomlin, and if so, is that the type of message the Rooneys want to send?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would welcome Munchak & bring verner with you!

I don't see it as a shot across the bow. I see it as the Steelers doing everything possible to get the most out of their investments. They have alot of high choices & youth in that OL. Even if it is for 1 year where he can teach them before someone else tries him at HC again...I see it as a big positive.