Thread: Who should we give Woodley and Ike's money too

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Who should we give Woodley and Ike's money too

While it is rare for the Steelers to sign a FA of any note. It sure would be nice to resign Worilds and bring in Alteraun Verner at CB with some of that cash.

Legend

User Info Menu

Isn't Terrance Cody a FA?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    While it is rare for the Steelers to sign a FA of any note. It sure would be nice to resign Worilds and bring in Alteraun Verner at CB with some of that cash.
    Verner will probably be the most-highly sought after CB in free agency. I know you said, "it's rare for the Steelers to sign a FA of any note"...but do they EVER get one of the most-highly-sought FAs? Can't see it happening.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cody is an UFA. I would also consider Cam Thomas from SD. I would also look at one of Verner, Davis, or Porter for CB. That would be the direction I go in FA. A NT & CB. So you could plug & play 2 starters.

Woodley's money won't be available until after June 1st so discount him. Ike needs to take paycut which I expect to happen. I was saying the same for Troy but I would be willing to add two years in an extension to spread & lower his cap hit. I was all over him down the stretch. He isn't a CF Safety anymore but DL cold utilize his strengths to make him productive for another year or two. Extend BB & Miller. L Brown has to play for vet min or cut him. Retain Worilds, Cotchery, Woods, Hood, W Allen, Velasco, Dwyer, F Jones, & Wallace. If Worilds is retained cut Woodley with June 1st designation.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Cody is an UFA. I would also consider Cam Thomas from SD. I would also look at one of Verner, Davis, or Porter for CB. That would be the direction I go in FA. A NT & CB. So you could plug & play 2 starters.

Woodley's money won't be available until after June 1st so discount him. Ike needs to take paycut which I expect to happen. I was saying the same for Troy but I would be willing to add two years in an extension to spread & lower his cap hit. I was all over him down the stretch. He isn't a CF Safety anymore but DL cold utilize his strengths to make him productive for another year or two. Extend BB & Miller. L Brown has to play for vet min or cut him. Retain Worilds, Cotchery, Woods, Hood, W Allen, Velasco, Dwyer, F Jones, & Wallace. If Worilds is retained cut Woodley with June 1st designation.

Exactly. You can franchise Worilds and use Woodley's $$ after June 1 to work a deal. Use Ike's Money on Verner.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ya'll don't be so surprised if Woodley stays on the team. I just don't see the FO cutting all that $.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Ya'll don't be so surprised if Woodley stays on the team. I just don't see the FO cutting all that $.
    I think you are looking at it the wrong way. They aren't cutting money. The are cutting a player before the have to pay him a large amount of unearned money. Woodley has 5.2 mil of original signing bonus left. So yes...That is money you can't recover. All other "Dead Money" that would be created if cut is money that was restructured. It was base salary due in previous years. That is money that would be in his pocket...It was just spread on the books for the cap but it was "earned". That isn't "cutting money"...It's getting rid of a payable before due. This is where the cut makes sense. He is due 8 mil in '14. SO...Plan A is cut & take your loss of 5.2 mil. Designating it post June 1st creates 8 mil of operating money they need. Or...Plan B is pay him an additional 8 mil on top of that to stick around. The Steelers have paid him 18 mil out of their pocket the last two years for 24 starts & 9 sacks. When Woodley is healthy...He is one of the most dangerous & expensive pass rushers in the league. When he can't stay healthy...He can't be dangerous...So all he is to the Steelers is expensive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I think Woodley will be around another year. I like the idea of him and Worilds as our OLBs. Not sure about JJ yet, and Woodley is still productive when he's healthy. Just not sure how much better the team gets without Woodley?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    A few years back I was pimping Verner to be drafted by the Steelers. I know a little something about this kid. He is a local kid from Lakewood. Good kid.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    A few years back I was pimping Verner to be drafted by the Steelers. I know a little something about this kid. He is a local kid from Lakewood. Good kid.
    And Lake coached him....Hmmmm.