Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Who should we give Woodley and Ike's money too

  1. #1

    Who should we give Woodley and Ike's money too

    While it is rare for the Steelers to sign a FA of any note. It sure would be nice to resign Worilds and bring in Alteraun Verner at CB with some of that cash.
    Trade our 1/15 to SF for 1/29 & 2/56

    1) Kyle Fuller-CB-Va Tech
    2) Jordan Mathews-WR-Vandy
    2) Brandon Thomas-OL-Clemson
    3c) Kelsey Quarles-DE-South Carolina
    4) Lache Seastrunk-RB-Baylor
    5))Prince Shembo-OLB-Notre Dame
    5c) Khyri Thornton-DT-Southern Miss
    6) Aron Colvin-DB-Oklahoma
    6c)Max BulloughILB-Mich St
    7) Henry Josey-RB-Missouri













  2. #2
    Isn't Terrance Cody a FA?
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    While it is rare for the Steelers to sign a FA of any note. It sure would be nice to resign Worilds and bring in Alteraun Verner at CB with some of that cash.
    Verner will probably be the most-highly sought after CB in free agency. I know you said, "it's rare for the Steelers to sign a FA of any note"...but do they EVER get one of the most-highly-sought FAs? Can't see it happening.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,350
    Cody is an UFA. I would also consider Cam Thomas from SD. I would also look at one of Verner, Davis, or Porter for CB. That would be the direction I go in FA. A NT & CB. So you could plug & play 2 starters.

    Woodley's money won't be available until after June 1st so discount him. Ike needs to take paycut which I expect to happen. I was saying the same for Troy but I would be willing to add two years in an extension to spread & lower his cap hit. I was all over him down the stretch. He isn't a CF Safety anymore but DL cold utilize his strengths to make him productive for another year or two. Extend BB & Miller. L Brown has to play for vet min or cut him. Retain Worilds, Cotchery, Woods, Hood, W Allen, Velasco, Dwyer, F Jones, & Wallace. If Worilds is retained cut Woodley with June 1st designation.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Cody is an UFA. I would also consider Cam Thomas from SD. I would also look at one of Verner, Davis, or Porter for CB. That would be the direction I go in FA. A NT & CB. So you could plug & play 2 starters.

    Woodley's money won't be available until after June 1st so discount him. Ike needs to take paycut which I expect to happen. I was saying the same for Troy but I would be willing to add two years in an extension to spread & lower his cap hit. I was all over him down the stretch. He isn't a CF Safety anymore but DL cold utilize his strengths to make him productive for another year or two. Extend BB & Miller. L Brown has to play for vet min or cut him. Retain Worilds, Cotchery, Woods, Hood, W Allen, Velasco, Dwyer, F Jones, & Wallace. If Worilds is retained cut Woodley with June 1st designation.

    Exactly. You can franchise Worilds and use Woodley's $$ after June 1 to work a deal. Use Ike's Money on Verner.
    Trade our 1/15 to SF for 1/29 & 2/56

    1) Kyle Fuller-CB-Va Tech
    2) Jordan Mathews-WR-Vandy
    2) Brandon Thomas-OL-Clemson
    3c) Kelsey Quarles-DE-South Carolina
    4) Lache Seastrunk-RB-Baylor
    5))Prince Shembo-OLB-Notre Dame
    5c) Khyri Thornton-DT-Southern Miss
    6) Aron Colvin-DB-Oklahoma
    6c)Max BulloughILB-Mich St
    7) Henry Josey-RB-Missouri













  6. #6
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,224
    Ya'll don't be so surprised if Woodley stays on the team. I just don't see the FO cutting all that $.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Ya'll don't be so surprised if Woodley stays on the team. I just don't see the FO cutting all that $.
    I think you are looking at it the wrong way. They aren't cutting money. The are cutting a player before the have to pay him a large amount of unearned money. Woodley has 5.2 mil of original signing bonus left. So yes...That is money you can't recover. All other "Dead Money" that would be created if cut is money that was restructured. It was base salary due in previous years. That is money that would be in his pocket...It was just spread on the books for the cap but it was "earned". That isn't "cutting money"...It's getting rid of a payable before due. This is where the cut makes sense. He is due 8 mil in '14. SO...Plan A is cut & take your loss of 5.2 mil. Designating it post June 1st creates 8 mil of operating money they need. Or...Plan B is pay him an additional 8 mil on top of that to stick around. The Steelers have paid him 18 mil out of their pocket the last two years for 24 starts & 9 sacks. When Woodley is healthy...He is one of the most dangerous & expensive pass rushers in the league. When he can't stay healthy...He can't be dangerous...So all he is to the Steelers is expensive.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,233
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Ya'll don't be so surprised if Woodley stays on the team. I just don't see the FO cutting all that $.
    I think Woodley will be around another year. I like the idea of him and Worilds as our OLBs. Not sure about JJ yet, and Woodley is still productive when he's healthy. Just not sure how much better the team gets without Woodley?

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,535
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    While it is rare for the Steelers to sign a FA of any note. It sure would be nice to resign Worilds and bring in Alteraun Verner at CB with some of that cash.
    A few years back I was pimping Verner to be drafted by the Steelers. I know a little something about this kid. He is a local kid from Lakewood. Good kid.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    A few years back I was pimping Verner to be drafted by the Steelers. I know a little something about this kid. He is a local kid from Lakewood. Good kid.
    And Lake coached him....Hmmmm.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •