Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DeVille Does the Offseason, 2014 Edition

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree about Al Woods. He played well in the games he was in... I'm thinking our future NT is already on the team. Could be wrong, but that's just where I'm leaning. Last year at this time, I wouldn't have thought that though. ILB needs to be upgraded. Been saying it for 2 years now. 1st- Hightower, then last year- Te'o. Now, IF JJ could slide into ILB (only coaches and JJ would know if he could play well there) then that would free us up to draft another play-making OLB/DE. I still like that dude from Stanford. The Murphy kid. What a leader and a player.....Smart too....He may make for a good add at DE. Needs to put some weight on but he sure is tall enough. Skov, his teammate isn't a bad player either. If they could come back in round 2 and grab a CB, like Fuller from Va Tech....I saw him listed in one of those mocks just posted here somewhere.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    ILB needs to be upgraded. Been saying it for 2 years now. 1st- Hightower, then last year- Te'o.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Skov, his teammate isn't a bad player either.
    Amen brother on the ILB talk. Was very dissapointed to see Foote come back.... TWICE... I wouldn't mind to see the team go with an ILB on free agency... wonder how much the Spikes kid from the pats will go for in FA (if he leaves, at all)...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Skov was a helluva player at Stanford. How does he rate out as a pro prospect?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    2013 Summary
    With a 2nd consecutive missed playoff, you might feel this team isn’t very good. However, I was encouraged by the 8-4 finish. The team was a single Antonio Brown misstep on the sideline from being playoff-bound (or choose your other key weird play).

While I’m not completely thrilled by the offensive coordinator, OR the defensive performance, I wouldn’t be upset if all staff stayed status quo. I’m *mostly* content with the play-calling down the stretch, save a few screen passes on 3rd and long. The no-huddle became effective, and Haley bought in to that idea, which, I believe, saved his job.

The o-line took its lumps, but, was respectable by the end of the season, with a lot of backups and guys off the street. I suspect, there will be some good competition in camp and am actually fairly excited about the prospects of the o-line this upcoming season. I wouldn’t spend early picks there unless there was just a beast available. Otherwise, I take a mid-to-late round o-linemen or two. That’s it.

Defensively, I think Lebeau was a little short-handed and for all my griping about the offense, I’d focus the offseason more on defense than offense. The league has become a pass-heavy league, we all know this. LeBeau’s defenses thrive when they can get you in 3rd and long, then blitz your socks off. Unfortunately, they didn’t find themselves in that situation as often as they could have. This run defense was 21st in the league. Help up the middle defensively is a requirement.

With that, here’s my game plan:

Free Agency, signings:
    Our own:
    Worilds, Cotchery, Dwyer, Al Woods, Fernando Valesco
    A few contracts need to be extended/adjusted for cap purposes (Ben, Troy, etc).

Unsigned/Cut:

Manny Sanders, Ryan Clark, Felix Jones, Brett Keisel, Lamarr Woodley, Larry Foote, Ziggy Hood, Levi Brown

Other teams guys:

• A mid-range priced, solid WR; Golden Tate would be my target
    • FS is a big need if Clark is allowed to walk. The team needs to find the next Ryan Clark here...
    Funny, i was going to come back and revise this, but, i think i did pretty good. Couple of misses on our FAs we kept (Al Woods woulda been nice).. .Cuts/unsigned, spot on... including the Woodley question. Lance Moore is a mid-priced WR coming in to visit. And the team thinks they found the next Ryan Clark.

Thanks for reading, Colbert & Tomlin.

Revisions: I think Vince Williams can be a solid backup and am curious where Spence has progressed to - only the team knows that answer. While I would love CJ Moseley, I think I'd prefer a "solid" veteran and to choose a rook at some other position. Was honestly hoping for the Broncos Wesley Woodyard, who I mocked some years back... Wondering aloud what Pat Angerer would cost in FA...?

For the draft, rather than totally mocking, this revision will include "common prospects" and why/why not... Coming soon...

3.98 -<tbd>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Excellent Mock Draft
    Cogent. Reasoned. Merits Praise.
    EPIC AND BEAST DUDE!!
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene View Post
    Excellent Mock Draft
    Cogent. Reasoned. Merits Praise.
    EPIC AND BEAST DUDE!!
    LMAO... love it

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

Mock 3.0

1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan StateMost NFL ready CB at the top of the CB pack is still on the board as people opt for Gilbert's speed/athleticism. Ike’s eventual replacement is selected.

2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy Big, fast, good hands and great work ethic. Related to Jerry Rice. Any questions? Lordy, I hope he’s here... if not, it’ll be the best WR available.

3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama This guy would anchor the DE spot opposite Heyward by the end of the season, and form an exciting young duo at DE

4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor This speedy, shifty RB is REALLY high on their list and his slower than expected combine pushes him to the 4th.

5 Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware This is the NT many of us are looking for, but, at a good bargain down here. Some mock him later, but, I wouldn’t risk it. May need time to develop, but, could be the heir apparent at NT

5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona Has quietly moved from UDFA prospect as the season ended to someone of interest. Not a bad comp selection...

6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State Good hands, good blocker, prototypical mismatch TE (6’6”, 260). Played in a run and gun offense, but didn’t produce huge... sleeper

6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati So, a little homerism.. Dejuan’s little brother, but, a solid player. Color me impressed by his performance against Louisville. Seen him as a UDFA in some mocks... don't get it...

7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College Kid grew up a Steelers fan and WANTS to be a Steeler… how can you leave him off a mock?
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 04-02-2014 at 05:47 PM.

3.98 -<tbd>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mock 3.0

1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan StateMost NFL ready CB at the top of the CB pack is still on the board as people opt for Gilbert's speed/athleticism. Ike’s eventual replacement is selected.

2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy Big, fast, good hands and great work ethic. Related to Jerry Rice. Any questions? Lordy, I hope he’s here... if not, it’ll be the best WR available.

3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama This guy would anchor the DE spot opposite Heyward by the end of the season, and form an exciting young duo at DE

4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, BaylorThis speedy, shifty RB is REALLY high on their list and his slower than expected combine pushes him to the 4th.

5 Zachariah Kerr, NT, DelawareThis is the NT many of us are looking for, but, at a good bargain down here. Some mock him later, but, I wouldn’t risk it. May need time to develop, but, could be the heir apparent at NT

5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, ArizonaHas quietly moved from UDFA prospect as the season ended to someone of interest. Not a bad comp selection...

6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno StateGood hands, good blocker, prototypical mismatch TE (6’6”, 260). Played in a run and gun offense, but didn’t produce huge... sleeper

6a Greg Blair, ILB, CincinnatiSo, a little homerism.. Dejuan’s little brother, but, a solid player. Color me impressed by his performance against Louisville. Seen him as a UDFA in some mocks... don't get it...

7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston CollegeKid grew up a Steelers fan and WANTS to be a Steeler… how can you leave him off a mock?
    Thats one dream mock scenario. Matthews in the second round is so very unlikely though. Love.every.single.pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Thats one dream mock scenario. Matthews in the second round is so very unlikely though. Love.every.single.pick
    Thanks... and, I'm with ya on Matthews, though I've seen him mocked late second in a few... Guys like Cooks, Marquise Lee, the LSU tandem, are often mocked ahead of him. Still... his recent news (pro day) sounds like he may move up - just depends who's picking and what they need. Worst case, rounds 2 and 3 are WR/DE, whether it be Tuitt, Moncrief, Robinson, etc.

The one I couldn't fit in is Mr Rooney seemed to like Wesley Johnson (OT, Vandy) a lot - i suspect he'll sway them to select him on day 3 somewhere. Sounds like a smart football player with good technique who sounds like he just needs to hit the weight room. Could be a good value

3.98 -<tbd>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mock 3.0

4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor This speedy, shifty RB is REALLY high on their list and his slower than expected combine pushes him to the 4th.

5 Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware This is the NT many of us are looking for, but, at a good bargain down here. Some mock him later, but, I wouldn’t risk it. May need time to develop, but, could be the heir apparent at NT

5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona Has quietly moved from UDFA prospect as the season ended to someone of interest. Not a bad comp selection...

6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State Good hands, good blocker, prototypical mismatch TE (6’6”, 260). Played in a run and gun offense, but didn’t produce huge... sleeper

6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati So, a little homerism.. Dejuan’s little brother, but, a solid player. Color me impressed by his performance against Louisville. Seen him as a UDFA in some mocks... don't get it...

7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College Kid grew up a Steelers fan and WANTS to be a Steeler… how can you leave him off a mock?
    Good stuff DeVille. I would be surprised (but prob. not disappointed) if they went RB in rd 4 with the Blount signing. I know Bell and Blount are similar builds and a smaller, quicker back would be a nice change up but I wouldn't mind seeing how LSH heals and spend the pick on some Safety depth or OLB depth.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska