Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JJ said he needs to get bigger and stronger

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

JJ said he needs to get bigger and stronger

I am just curious, but by Jarvis Jones admitting this now, why didn't he realize this during this season, and work on that very thing instead of waiting until next season to get bigger and stronger? Is it impossible to do during the season? Logic tells me that you must KEEP lifting weights during the season, or you would shrink down to your non-lifting size, so why could he have not hit the weights/supplments THIS season instead of attempting to do that for next season?

Or, is it more of a case of him not being on juice/HGH this season, and knowing he will be on it for next year? That could really be what this is about. To look at JJ's body this year, I think it is obvious he wasn't on any juice and maybe not even lifting much. Regardless, if he steps it up on these fronts, he will be much better next year. I find it interesting that he has come out and said he knows he needs to be bigger and stronger. So, what is going to change to make this happen?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It takes a while to add meaningful, functional muscle mass. It is hard to do during a season if you have a high metabolism. It took Timmons two seasons to bulk up.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Backup

User Info Menu

Some of this should have been done during college. He is 24 years old not 20 like Timmons was when he was drafted. Timmons was bulked up at 22. Also does adding weight make him slower? He isn't fast now. A few pounds of muscle won't but if he plans on adding a lot of muscle mass it may make him slower. Timmons was a lot faster than Jones to start with. Jones isn't known as a gym rat either. We'll see how it works out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Some of this should have been done during college. He is 24 years old not 20 like Timmons was when he was drafted. Timmons was bulked up at 22. Also does adding weight make him slower? He isn't fast now. A few pounds of muscle won't but if he plans on adding a lot of muscle mass it may make him slower. Timmons was a lot faster than Jones to start with. Jones isn't known as a gym rat either. We'll see how it works out.
    JJ probably didnt bulk up because he was a beast in college...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Depends on what kind of lifting he does. Lifting for functional strength plus mass instead of mass only is what I'd guess. Also, it is possible through agility work and speed training to add muscle mass and still increase one's speed. As Felt said above, JJ probably didn't bulk up in college because he was a beast. I'd add that the college training staff probably didn't focus on adding weight when designing his routine (i.e. "it's working for us and that's all we care about"). I'm pretty sure the veterans in the locker room (Ike, etc.) have provided him with a few names to look at as far as offseason trainers. Yep, we'll see how it works out. I'm hoping very well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dave te the draft expert said last year before the draft that he didn't like JJ because he avoided the weight room. Maybe that's why he fell. I have a bad feeling about him
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 01-06-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He also said that his teammates was upset at him one game because of his dedication. It's on one of the Depot podcast but I can't remember which episode.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I am just curious, but by Jarvis Jones admitting this now, why didn't he realize this during this season, and work on that very thing instead of waiting until next season to get bigger and stronger? Is it impossible to do during the season? Logic tells me that you must KEEP lifting weights during the season, or you would shrink down to your non-lifting size, so why could he have not hit the weights/supplments THIS season instead of attempting to do that for next season?

Or, is it more of a case of him not being on juice/HGH this season, and knowing he will be on it for next year? That could really be what this is about. To look at JJ's body this year, I think it is obvious he wasn't on any juice and maybe not even lifting much. Regardless, if he steps it up on these fronts, he will be much better next year. I find it interesting that he has come out and said he knows he needs to be bigger and stronger. So, what is going to change to make this happen?
    No mystery here. At the end of every season, the coaching staff sits with each player and discusses what he should be focused on for the upcoming off-season. Anyone with eyes could see that Jones lacked NFL strength and I am sure that is what they told him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd rather he acknowledge his shortcomings as long as he is serious about making adjustments. A lot of guys have spent a lifetime relying on talent and have always been the best or one of the best on the field on that alone.

Better he knows talent alone won't cut it. P Burress could have been unstoppable if he'd admitted that size alone didn't make him great. Instead he was fine with being a little above average. Kudos to Jones if he is willing to put in some time to improve. I still have high, high hopes for this young man.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-07-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here's the thing (and for the record, I still hold out plenty of hope for him): If he lacks strength, and he timed a 4.9 40... he's got poor strength and poor speed. He better go into next year with a fundamental change in mindset (i.e. the same change that I was touting for Dwyer & Redman before the '12 season). I fear though, that he won't. I fear that he has a (small) sense of entitlement to him, that he thinks he is fine just upping his summer workout a little more than normal.

Think Kevin Love in the NBA. Changed his whole body from college to pro (now is almost a slim guy). And he was a good college player, like JJ.