Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: JJ said he needs to get bigger and stronger

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,946
    James Harrison was signed in 2002. He didn't start a full season until 2007 at age 29. Do you honestly believe this fan base, this Steelers org is willing to wait that long for the Jones to show his potential?
    Honestly, I don't see it in this day of now, now, now.... Jones will be cut or replaced long before that if he can't produce, especially given his draft status.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Here's the thing (and for the record, I still hold out plenty of hope for him): If he lacks strength, and he timed a 4.9 40... he's got poor strength and poor speed. He better go into next year with a fundamental change in mindset (i.e. the same change that I was touting for Dwyer & Redman before the '12 season). I fear though, that he won't. I fear that he has a (small) sense of entitlement to him, that he thinks he is fine just upping his summer workout a little more than normal.

    Think Kevin Love in the NBA. Changed his whole body from college to pro (now is almost a slim guy). And he was a good college player, like JJ.
    What on Earth have you seen of JJ that says "entitlement" ??? The guy wasn't instant impact on the field his rookie year but one thing he was was absolutely humble and respectful all year long. Every interview I've seen the guy, it's yes sir, no sir, thank you, etc etc etc.

    Didn't he have some awful tragedy growing up where his brother was killed in high school when Jarvis was a kid? He certainly doesn't come across as entitled to me.

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Here's the thing (and for the record, I still hold out plenty of hope for him): If he lacks strength, and he timed a 4.9 40... he's got poor strength and poor speed. He better go into next year with a fundamental change in mindset (i.e. the same change that I was touting for Dwyer & Redman before the '12 season). I fear though, that he won't. I fear that he has a (small) sense of entitlement to him, that he thinks he is fine just upping his summer workout a little more than normal.

    Think Kevin Love in the NBA. Changed his whole body from college to pro (now is almost a slim guy). And he was a good college player, like JJ.
    Nothing about JJ says entitled... he comes across as a humble guy.

    Kevin Love shed pounds because he plays 82 games a year instead of 30 games.

  4. #14
    I think I read last year that JJ did some work out at the same place Ike does. Maybe it was for his pro day or even after? Don't remember. That's what he needs to do this offseason. Even though off season workouts have not really helped Hood much which puzzles me? Hood had the videos training like a monster. Hope JJ can put on some really good effective strength. I have the feeling with the way he talks he has a drive to be very good. Lets give him another season to improve.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Here's the thing (and for the record, I still hold out plenty of hope for him): If he lacks strength, and he timed a 4.9 40... he's got poor strength and poor speed. He better go into next year with a fundamental change in mindset (i.e. the same change that I was touting for Dwyer & Redman before the '12 season). I fear though, that he won't. I fear that he has a (small) sense of entitlement to him, that he thinks he is fine just upping his summer workout a little more than normal.

    Think Kevin Love in the NBA. Changed his whole body from college to pro (now is almost a slim guy). And he was a good college player, like JJ.
    With all due respect to your long standing on this forum and your number of posts .... Saying that JJ has a sense of entitlement to him while also saying you hold out hope for him smacks of ... passive aggressive Bull Pucky on your part ... Here's my challenge to you .. please show us ANY interview/video/etc. where JJ displays this attitude. If you can not, please be man enough to retract the statement because just putting B.S. out there with the apparent intent to ruin a young man's reputation ... well that's kinda crappy. Now, if you can show us a video/article/etc. where JJ has shown this "sense of entitlement" .. I will humbly apologize to you. Otherwise, you're spouting crap on a dude who has recognized his shortcomings and already STATED that he will WORK to correct them.

  6. #16
    Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    610
    im not gona shoot the guy down so soon.. if you expected him to perform like a HARRISON clone as a rookie, then thats on you.. seems most players get "BIGGER" and add weight/muscle in their 2nd and 3rd years.. JJ has a large frame, the muscle will fill out perfectly on him.. 15 lbs of muscle would be good.. You can do that naturally..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

  7. #17
    Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    With all due respect to your long standing on this forum and your number of posts .... Saying that JJ has a sense of entitlement to him while also saying you hold out hope for him smacks of ... passive aggressive Bull Pucky on your part ... Here's my challenge to you .. please show us ANY interview/video/etc. where JJ displays this attitude. If you can not, please be man enough to retract the statement because just putting B.S. out there with the apparent intent to ruin a young man's reputation ... well that's kinda crappy. Now, if you can show us a video/article/etc. where JJ has shown this "sense of entitlement" .. I will humbly apologize to you. Otherwise, you're spouting crap on a dude who has recognized his shortcomings and already STATED that he will WORK to correct them.
    +1 .................
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

  8. #18
    Jarvis is tall. He is athletically gifted. Blessed with the measurables to play football at an elite Level. But is it his passion ? Does he consider it his craft ?

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Jarvis is tall. He is athletically gifted. Blessed with the measurables to play football at an elite Level. But is it his passion ? Does he consider it his craft ?
    From hearing him talk about needing to get bigger/stronger yes I think he does. I like it that he did not light it up as a rookie. If he works for it and proves it on the field maybe he can stay hungry unlike Woodley! I hope all the media talk on Woodley lights a fire for him. But he seems to be all about the money. And maybe he will never be right after all his injuries. Maybe he plays scared of getting hurt now? Looking back now what a great find JH was for the Steelers.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Jarvis is tall. He is athletically gifted. Blessed with the measurables to play football at an elite Level. But is it his passion ? Does he consider it his craft ?
    I would say that based on the articles we have all read he does ... do you have an article in mind that poses this as a question? If so, please post it. I'm open minded enough to take in all information, positive and negative, before making an assessment. Thing is, all I've read about the soon to be SECOND YEAR PLAYER has been positive as far as attitude and professionalism.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •