Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JJ said he needs to get bigger and stronger

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I would say that based on the articles we have all read he does ... do you have an article in mind that poses this as a question? If so, please post it. I'm open minded enough to take in all information, positive and negative, before making an assessment. Thing is, all I've read about the soon to be SECOND YEAR PLAYER has been positive as far as attitude and professionalism.
    not sure how a rookie not playing lights out implies it isn't his love or passion... especially when every interview is about his passion to improve.

I don't want to play it... but sometimes I wonder... because there is no evidence to question his dedication or attitude.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Where's that one dude who always talks about strength training. He'd be flipping out and say the reason the Steelers haven't made the playoffs the last 2 yrs is b/c they don't lift weights, haha...........you aren't going to add much mass during the season, except maybe WATER mass and that'll slow a guy down. if you wanna gain mass you gotta do it gradually.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Where's that one dude who always talks about strength training. He'd be flipping out and say the reason the Steelers haven't made the playoffs the last 2 yrs is b/c they don't lift weights, haha...........you aren't going to add much mass during the season, except maybe WATER mass and that'll slow a guy down. if you wanna gain mass you gotta do it gradually.
    Exactly ... That's why I'd say improving functional strength, flexibility, explosion etc. should be on the top of JJ's list this offseason. The mass will come over time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    From hearing him talk about needing to get bigger/stronger yes I think he does. I like it that he did not light it up as a rookie. If he works for it and proves it on the field maybe he can stay hungry unlike Woodley! I hope all the media talk on Woodley lights a fire for him. But he seems to be all about the money. And maybe he will never be right after all his injuries. Maybe he plays scared of getting hurt now? Looking back now what a great find JH was for the Steelers.
    Let's not forget, that for the vast majority of rookies, they are mostly lost their first year, and then add in the immense complexity that is Leboo's system, especially for the OLBs, and JJ not blowing it up should have been expected. I remember Bell (ILB from GA) came in and was productive as a rookie, but that was a fluke. I recall a story where Ben was watching Heath Miller at camp, looking all clueless, and Ben asked a coach "Did I look that lost last year?" and the response was "Very much so" or something like that. And that is coming from Ben, who did well as a rookie and he still said he was just clueless. I expect JJ to be a leader on D by next year, and 20 lbs heavier.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Exactly ... That's why I'd say improving functional strength, flexibility, explosion etc. should be on the top of JJ's list this offseason. The mass will come over time.
    Let's not forget that at least half of the NFL is on steroids, and/or HGH. JJ gets in some cycles, and he will blow up, totally. I think rookies come in not knowing the supplement game, but learn by year 2.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Let's not forget that at least half of the NFL is on steroids, and/or HGH. JJ gets in some cycles, and he will blow up, totally. I think rookies come in not knowing the supplement game, but learn by year 2.
    If you listened to half of my friends, the difference is Advocare.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    If you listened to half of my friends, the difference is Advocare.
    None of the non steroids, non HGH stuff comes any where close to what that stuff will do. It's not even close.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now, if you can show us a video/article/etc. where JJ has shown this "sense of entitlement"
    The one thing I would add, at training camp, JJ came across as one of the most humble guys I talked to. I got the impression the guy's top notch in the character department. How nice and gracious he was to fans really stuck out in my head. So I'd be hesitant to question his character. But I still don't see what he brings as a pass rusher. Even with more strength, I don't know how he's gonna take on LTs and win that matchup regularly.

I tend to believe the kid's a hard worker. Guys that hustle the way he does on the field usually aren't the slacker types.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One of the reason I didn't want JJ coming out was lack of playing strength. Given his age & how long it "usually" took a rookie to see the field...I thought he would be 25-26 before he started. He got on the field his rookie year & showed me the three things I knew coming out. Lack of playing strength, limited pass rush moves, but very good instincts and awareness. Playing strength & pass rush moves will come with dedication....It appears he has that. Many may be disappointed with his numbers...But be more optimistic about the years to come. He showed on the field that an offseason or two in the weight room will help him make big strides.

On another note...Worilds dedication to the weight room over the years played a huge part in his development. Keep that in mind when you wonder who JJ could turn out to be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    On another note...Worilds dedication to the weight room over the years played a huge part in his development. Keep that in mind when you wonder who JJ could turn out to be.
    But Worilds had a burst from day 1 off the ball that I just don't see in JJ. I worry if JJ gets bigger/stronger, he might slow down even more. I know speed isn't everything, but it feels like a bit of a concern with JJ.