Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Report Card: Final grade for the season

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The grade for the offensive line should be split. I'd give them an "F" for the first half of the season and a B+ for the second half. I forget the stat, but the line gave up something like 8 sacks in the last 8 games. I'm sure some of that was the no huddle, but especially for a team with Ben at QB, and give his penchant for extending plays, that is impressive.
    If we are going to split the grade, why not split from pass blocking to run blocking. I would give them a D- as a run blocking line. I would give them a B+ as a pass blocking line.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Gotta give Ben an A or at least an A- for the season. He did not miss a play, adapted, gave leadership and was key in keeping things together and finishing strong.
    I have to disagree with you about Ben. I would give him a B- or a C+ for the year. He was great the last half of the year but horrible the first half. I think his stubbornness to change is the reason we aren't in the playoffs. I love Ben to death but I think he hurt us this year.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I have to disagree with you about Ben. I would give him a B- or a C+ for the year. He was great the last half of the year but horrible the first half. I think his stubbornness to change is the reason we aren't in the playoffs. I love Ben to death but I think he hurt us this year.
    I agree. C+ based upon his start. It put us in a early hole that the Steelers couldn't dig their way out of.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OMG. Hurt us? Poor tackling and crappy overall D and the worst Oline performance in 40 years in the first 4 games are the culprits.

The inability of this Defense to make plays is what hurt us. Ben was solid and a leader the entire season. If it weren't for his leadership this year, we are closer to a 4-12 team, not 8-8.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    OMG. Hurt us? Poor tackling and crappy overall D and the worst Oline performance in 40 years in the first 4 games are the culprits.

The inability of this Defense to make plays is what hurt us. Ben was solid and a leader the entire season. If it weren't for his leadership this year, we are closer to a 4-12 team, not 8-8.
    You are forgetting 4 games of horrific play and turnovers.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Skyhawk, I've tried to block out the first 4 games of the season also but if you try hard to remember Ben was as awful as his offensive line. The poor performance of the D had nothing to do with Ben's poor performance.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Skyhawk, I've tried to block out the first 4 games of the season also but if you try hard to remember Ben was as awful as his offensive line. The poor performance of the D had nothing to do with Ben's poor performance.
    Well, indirectly it did, because the offense was given long fields and point deficits to try and overcome. Ben played bad, there is no doubt, but I think a potion of his bad play was due to trying to cover up defensive inconsistencies and poor play.

Overall, Ben played very good to great (IMO) this year (save for the beginning), I hope he can carry the last half of the season over into next year and start great right out of the gate.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

True. Offense was missing their starting OC, RB and TE. On top of that Haley was stubborn enough not to run no huddle.

Vikings game was all on Defense.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    True. Offense was missing their starting OC, RB and TE. On top of that Haley was stubborn enough not to run no huddle.

Vikings game was all on Defense.
    Exactly. In fact, I credit Ben's leadership as part of the reason that the arrow was pointed up at the end of the season. He and Tomlin seemed to be extremely focused on getting back to winning ball. I would say that most coaches in the league would have lost the locker room at the point the Steelers were at. Ben was one of those that didn't allow that to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Interesting stat about Suisham, I didn't know about the 92% conversion rate. Kickoff coverage was abysmal though for the special teams.
    Too bad the ones he missed probably hurt the most.