Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed: Defense could face another bad year

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    b, bu, but we had the #1 D in some stat last year and we were awesome 5 years ago!

These mind blowing stats aren't a surprise or a cycle.. it's been going in this direction for years and a few pointed it out but others didn't want to believe it. We gambled and lost trying to make that last run. I'm fine with the gamble but moving forward we cannot use that old model of patience, development, etc...
    Totally agree. I was one of the guys getting bashed for looking at the trends and daring to question the direction the Great LeBeau was taking us in.

The dynamic in the NFL is that you have to sack the QB and take the ball away to stop the offenses opponents can roll out against you in today's NFL. Those IMO are far more meaningful statistics than Yards allowed. The problem is we have been on a downwards trend for three to four years but we wanted to put players into a template versus adapting to what they do best. Add onto to that not wanting to cut ties with veterans because they "knew the system" and it should have been predictable that we would end up where we are.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I think the key decision will b what happens at LOLB with Woodley and Worilds. IMO, the best outcome would be for fatso to take a good-sized paycut, and watching Worilds walk. I don't like the idea of cutting Woodley outright, and eating so much dead money. Woodley still can play; he just can't go 16. We should draft his replacement, and let Woodley start the season until he gets hurt. When he does, we have to hang on and let the new player sink/swim. The underlying reasoning too, is that I don't think Worilds is worth what he will command. At best, he can be a Trent Cole or Shaun Phillips. While that is fine, I think we should strive to do better.

why pay woodley to play 1/2 to 3/4 seasons instead of another guy that would play the whole season for a fraction of the cost?
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    why pay woodley to play 1/2 to 3/4 seasons instead of another guy that would play the whole season for a fraction of the cost?
    Isn't Worilds also injury prone?

it's football, we have no idea who will remain injury free.

Legend

Yes he is which again opens the question: Do we have the pieces to make a LeBeau 3-4 defense work? LeBeau's defense is predicated on exceptional LB play and the LB position right now may be where we only have one elite player in Timmons.

IMO, we do not have the right talent for LeBeau's traditional defense and we have two options:

1. Take 2-3 years and try to find the right pieces while continuing to lose experienced players like Troy, etc. To me this seems like a recipe for chasing our tail.
    2. Do something differently that may be rebuilt quicker and pay dividends quicker.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler

sure we do. it aint woodley.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes he is which again opens the question: Do we have the pieces to make a LeBeau 3-4 defense work? LeBeau's defense is predicated on exceptional LB play and the LB position right now may be where we only have one elite player in Timmons.

IMO, we do not have the right talent for LeBeau's traditional defense and we have two options:

1. Take 2-3 years and try to find the right pieces while continuing to lose experienced players like Troy, etc. To me this seems like a recipe for chasing our tail.
    2. Do something differently that may be rebuilt quicker and pay dividends quicker.
    Ovi, big gamble either way.
    I am not confident tomlin could make a quality hire if/when DL leaves. tomlins track record for hiring coaches sucks. add in tomlins track record of drafting players and the 2 add up to disaster.
    i believe it would be quicker and wiser to stay with DL and the 3-4 and be an average defense with some upside with a few great drafts.
    lets go all out on offense and outscore people during bens last few years.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

21st against the run... wow.
    Drafting what position in the first helps both the pass rush and the run D? I think you might agree with me on this answer.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Ovi, big gamble either way.
    I am not confident tomlin could make a quality hire if/when DL leaves. tomlins track record for hiring coaches sucks. add in tomlins track record of drafting players and the 2 add up to disaster.
    i believe it would be quicker and wiser to stay with DL and the 3-4 and be an average defense with some upside with a few great drafts.
    lets go all out on offense and outscore people during bens last few years.
    I don't know, hiring Haley seems like a really good move and getting better.

21st against the run... wow.
    But we have one gap McClendon so all should be fine.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

They can help fix their up-against-it salary cap by being ruthless.
    What?!!! How is he going to help?.......
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma