Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Ed: Defense could face another bad year

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,822
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    b, bu, but we had the #1 D in some stat last year and we were awesome 5 years ago!

    These mind blowing stats aren't a surprise or a cycle.. it's been going in this direction for years and a few pointed it out but others didn't want to believe it. We gambled and lost trying to make that last run. I'm fine with the gamble but moving forward we cannot use that old model of patience, development, etc...
    Totally agree. I was one of the guys getting bashed for looking at the trends and daring to question the direction the Great LeBeau was taking us in.

    The dynamic in the NFL is that you have to sack the QB and take the ball away to stop the offenses opponents can roll out against you in today's NFL. Those IMO are far more meaningful statistics than Yards allowed. The problem is we have been on a downwards trend for three to four years but we wanted to put players into a template versus adapting to what they do best. Add onto to that not wanting to cut ties with veterans because they "knew the system" and it should have been predictable that we would end up where we are.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I think the key decision will b what happens at LOLB with Woodley and Worilds. IMO, the best outcome would be for fatso to take a good-sized paycut, and watching Worilds walk. I don't like the idea of cutting Woodley outright, and eating so much dead money. Woodley still can play; he just can't go 16. We should draft his replacement, and let Woodley start the season until he gets hurt. When he does, we have to hang on and let the new player sink/swim. The underlying reasoning too, is that I don't think Worilds is worth what he will command. At best, he can be a Trent Cole or Shaun Phillips. While that is fine, I think we should strive to do better.

    why pay woodley to play 1/2 to 3/4 seasons instead of another guy that would play the whole season for a fraction of the cost?
    1) ERIC EBRON TE/ MIKE EVANS WR
    2) JORDAN MATHEWS WR/ SEFERIAN-JENKINS TE
    3-7) DEFENSE

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,339
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    why pay woodley to play 1/2 to 3/4 seasons instead of another guy that would play the whole season for a fraction of the cost?
    Isn't Worilds also injury prone?

    it's football, we have no idea who will remain injury free.

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,822
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Isn't Worilds also injury prone?

    it's football, we have no idea who will remain injury free.
    Yes he is which again opens the question: Do we have the pieces to make a LeBeau 3-4 defense work? LeBeau's defense is predicated on exceptional LB play and the LB position right now may be where we only have one elite player in Timmons.

    IMO, we do not have the right talent for LeBeau's traditional defense and we have two options:

    1. Take 2-3 years and try to find the right pieces while continuing to lose experienced players like Troy, etc. To me this seems like a recipe for chasing our tail.
    2. Do something differently that may be rebuilt quicker and pay dividends quicker.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Isn't Worilds also injury prone?

    it's football, we have no idea who will remain injury free.

    sure we do. it aint woodley.
    1) ERIC EBRON TE/ MIKE EVANS WR
    2) JORDAN MATHEWS WR/ SEFERIAN-JENKINS TE
    3-7) DEFENSE

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes he is which again opens the question: Do we have the pieces to make a LeBeau 3-4 defense work? LeBeau's defense is predicated on exceptional LB play and the LB position right now may be where we only have one elite player in Timmons.

    IMO, we do not have the right talent for LeBeau's traditional defense and we have two options:

    1. Take 2-3 years and try to find the right pieces while continuing to lose experienced players like Troy, etc. To me this seems like a recipe for chasing our tail.
    2. Do something differently that may be rebuilt quicker and pay dividends quicker.
    Ovi, big gamble either way.
    I am not confident tomlin could make a quality hire if/when DL leaves. tomlins track record for hiring coaches sucks. add in tomlins track record of drafting players and the 2 add up to disaster.
    i believe it would be quicker and wiser to stay with DL and the 3-4 and be an average defense with some upside with a few great drafts.
    lets go all out on offense and outscore people during bens last few years.
    1) ERIC EBRON TE/ MIKE EVANS WR
    2) JORDAN MATHEWS WR/ SEFERIAN-JENKINS TE
    3-7) DEFENSE

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    21st against the run... wow.
    Drafting what position in the first helps both the pass rush and the run D? I think you might agree with me on this answer.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,822
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Ovi, big gamble either way.
    I am not confident tomlin could make a quality hire if/when DL leaves. tomlins track record for hiring coaches sucks. add in tomlins track record of drafting players and the 2 add up to disaster.
    i believe it would be quicker and wiser to stay with DL and the 3-4 and be an average defense with some upside with a few great drafts.
    lets go all out on offense and outscore people during bens last few years.
    I don't know, hiring Haley seems like a really good move and getting better.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    21st against the run... wow.
    But we have one gap McClendon so all should be fine.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  10. #20
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

    They can help fix their up-against-it salary cap by being ruthless.
    What?!!! How is he going to help?.......


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •