Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Haley Effect

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    That makes no sense.
    His only glaring mistake this year was letting Mike Adams single-handedly wreck the month of September for his offense. They went 8-4, by making that one change.

You seem to give everyone else credit (Ben, the O-line, AB, Bell, Heath) for and not give the coach of the entire unit any.
    Flippy also isnt impressed by JJ and Bell. I think he is in a funk this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

At the end of the day, this O doesnt put up points. There's no real rhythm or consistency in production. It's kinda streaky and typically relies on a couple big plays by Ben to bail them out. Haley's over reliant on extra TEs in the formation even when we lack talent. He stops running when we can run the ball. And loves to run when we struggle. He puts a lot of Cotchery in jumbo packages that lets Ds load up the box with 9-10 guys. And his bubble screens infatuation gets a little predictable sometimes.

Im just not sure I'm seeing what he's doing that's so great? This offense is still kinda sputtering putting up about 20 pts a game since he's been here. That doesn't cut it unless our D is playing lights out carrying the team.

Backup

User Info Menu

Never been a big Roethlisberger supporter. However,.. i must give credit where it is due when indeed it is truth. He's playing like a professional now, with the potential to actually assume the mantle of being one of the best of his generation.

And for anyone to say that Haley's knowledge and or experience in terms of his respective craft has not had a great deal of importance regarding this "evolution" on Ben's part is simply illogical.

We are still have difficulty scoring actual points,....but at least now there is hope.
    Last edited by Rod Polamalu; 01-05-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    At the end of the day, this O doesnt put up points. There's no real rhythm or consistency in production. It's kinda streaky and typically relies on a couple big plays by Ben to bail them out. Haley's over reliant on extra TEs in the formation even when we lack talent. He stops running when we can run the ball. And loves to run when we struggle. He puts a lot of Cotchery in jumbo packages that lets Ds load up the box with 9-10 guys. And his bubble screens infatuation gets a little predictable sometimes.

Im just not sure I'm seeing what he's doing that's so great? This offense is still kinda sputtering putting up about 20 pts a game since he's been here. That doesn't cut it unless our D is playing lights out carrying the team.
    Agree mostly, but also think its only fair to give a coach 3 yrs before calling them a bust, especially given the Steelers injury problems. Most people are feeling good because the last month of the season the Steelers were actually putting up some points.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Flippy also isnt impressed by JJ and Bell. I think he is in a funk this year.
    Or the team put me in a funk lol. I do think Bell got better as the season went on. Especially as a blocker. He made some great blocks to help keep Ben clean down the stretch and it made a huge difference. I also thought he showed some consistency as a runner over the last few games. He's the guy I'm most excited about going into next year to see how much he can improve this offseason.

JJ is still a big ? for me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Agree mostly, but also think its only fair to give a coach 3 yrs before calling them a bust, especially given the Steelers injury problems. Most people are feeling good because the last month of the season the Steelers were actually putting up some points.
    Im fine continuing on the Haley path. Maybe we get better as some young players come of age. I really don't hate him. Just not sure how he's making this team better?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Count me as still not a Haley fan. The only good that's happened this season is allowing Ben to call more of the plays. Clearly Ben makes quicker reads and knows where he wants to go with the ball when he gets to call the play at the LOS. But we've seen that from Ben in the no huddle for years and most of us have wanted more for years. So I'm not giving Haley too much credit there.

Haley's personnel/play calling isn't all that impressive imho. I put more credit in the improvements on the OLine, AB, and Bell. And the health of Heath toward the second half of the season for the turnaround.

Seems like things are coming together a little so I'm ok with keeping Haley. But if we replaced him, I wouldn't b upset either.
    This is where we differ. I put more credit for the improvement on Ben finally buying into Haley's system. Ben getting rid of the ball quicker and using the check-down made the o-line and Bell better. I have to give Haley's system credit for finding ways to get AB open in space so he can use his ability to get the yards after catch.

Remember the first half of last year Ben was being talked about as a possible MVP. I think the same could have been said for the 2nd half of this year. Like someone before me said, if you take those 2 halves we were 12-4. The lousy part is if you take the 2nd half of last year and 1st half of this year we were 4-12.

We need Ben to play this way for a complete season and we have a shot. At mid-season I was one of those that thought we needed to blow this team up and start to re-build. Never in my wildest dreams did I think Ben changing his philosophy would improve this team so much. Haley might not be the end all to beat all offensive coordinator but if he keeps Ben on track we just might be an offensive powerhouse.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

All the talk now is on how River's has turned his game around since mid-season. It just so happens it coincides with the emergence of SD's rushing attack. A parallel could be drawn with Roethlisberger/Bell.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    All the talk now is on how River's has turned his game around since mid-season. It just so happens it coincides with the emergence of SD's rushing attack. A parallel could be drawn with Roethlisberger/Bell.
    I definitely see that, and if that is 1a, I think 1b is the benching of Adams (and Beachum's emergence) or vice versa. After all, if Adams continued on: Ben would be dead, we'd have Bruce Grad running the show (8 in the box).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm just glad Ben wasn't busted up by mid season, playing on with a boot, broken this or broken that and he played all 16 games. This would have never happened under Arians. Haley evaluated the talent or the lack of talent and schemed this offense to handle what it could handle in my opinion. I'm not saying I love everything about Haleys offense or his selection or plays all the time but, he sure has made these guys a unit and Ben is healthier.