Thread: We've had our Nix thread (NT Timmy Jernigan, FSU)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We've had our Nix thread (NT Timmy Jernigan, FSU)

Where does Jernigan fit in the draft? First, second round? (As a 2nd round pick, this guy would be a steal of the draft IMO.) And what is his potential as a Steeler NT (or DL)? My impressions of him are that he may be considered undersized, but he is a rare talent in terms of his explosive strength. He shucks linemen aside like sacks of potatoes, and the explosiveness with which he plays reminds me of a guy like John Randle.

He doesn't appear to have that bulk strength, to play that classic, two-gap style of NT. But I could be wrong, because he obviously has awesome power (to throw 300-pounders around).

Backup

User Info Menu

He's a special talent, but he's only about 6'1". He is more the classic penetrating, quick 3 technique guy... his game reminds me of Warren Sapp's some. Great player, not a great fit in our system.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    He's a special talent, but he's only about 6'1". He is more the classic penetrating, quick 3 technique guy... his game reminds me of Warren Sapp's some. Great player, not a great fit in our system.
    unless we switched to a 4-3, of course...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    I didn't think you wanted a taller NT. You wanted someone with a low center of gravity so the shorter the better.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He would have to put on about 30#'s.

Backup

User Info Menu

Jernigan's functional playing weight is in the 290's... but he's thickly built and "country strong". Not sure he holds up on the nose in the NFL. Stand by the Sapp comparison. Guy I saw that interests me in terms of the PS is Dee Ford. 240# pass rushing DE with crazy moves and, as demonstrated last night, some ability to function in space. Would love it if he was still on the board Wallace comp 3rd or mid 4th.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    He would have to put on about 30#'s.
    Based on your "Planet Theory" draft I would say you're not in favor of the FSU lineman. Honestly there is much to like about that theory and the fact that a high ceiling on a prospect is always tempting.
    If Tuitt works out well I would rather take a shot with a de then a nt since Ziggy may be gone and Keisel is at the end even if we could get one more year out of him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What is his draft range? I mean to me, this guy is a Top 5 pick; he's that good. Is he around there? If it were between him and Nix (and I like Nix), I would not hesitate one bit in taking Jernigan. And that goes for anybody else, including Khalil Mack, Dennard, anybody.

I think we should hire Usain Bolt, just in case he does fall to 15. So that he can run that card up to the podium ASAP.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO Jernigan is a better player than Nix, but that would be as a 4-3 DT. He would not fit what a 3-4 NT does in our system. Would rather have Stephon Tuitt than Nix if we stay 3-4 and continue to use McLendon and Fangupo on the nose.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"