Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Early 1-14 mock draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Can you imagine though trying to defend JJ Watt and Clowney?
    Yep...and the fact they have to play Andrew Luck twice a year for the next 10 years may be a big motivating factor in pairing them.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Here's my previous post Shawn:

Our D was gashed against the run this year, so we need our NT play to be dominant. If it's by the draft, so be it, if it's by developing someone who is already on the roster... great. Suring up NT would also allow McClendon, Woods, etc to compete for a position they may be better suited for (DE). I think keeping Keisel around for another year (at a modest price tag) would provide much need leadership and depth.

I'm all for drafting a NT in the first round if that's what's needed. I understand the importance of having "That guy".
    Doesn't anybody remember that our defense got gouged in the running game when Aaron Smith was out of the lineup ... not Casey Hampton. That's not to say Hampton wasn't important but he wasn't the key. Our D has started a slow slide downward since Smith did the same thing.

I'm all for drafting the BPA in the 1st round. If that is Nix then so be it but I'm thinking it is probably someone else.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Doesn't anybody remember that our defense got gouged in the running game when Aaron Smith was out of the lineup ... not Casey Hampton. That's not to say Hampton wasn't important but he wasn't the key. Our D has started a slow slide downward since Smith did the same thing.

I'm all for drafting the BPA in the 1st round. If that is Nix then so be it but I'm thinking it is probably someone else.
    You are right about Smith, he was a true monster. Put him and Hampton together and there you go.. Opposing team's running game = non factor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post

I am gonna do the Casey/Hoke thing to Smith now.
    Best Steeler run defense of the Smith era Smith was past his prime and got injured and missed most of the season starting only 6 games. HOOD of all people replaced him for most of that season and we did not miss a beat. In fact it was never better.

It was statistically the best Steeler run defense of all time (though I would give the 70s team the edge).

That team fell a mere 34 yards shy of the all time nfl record for fewest rushing yards in a 16 game season. Not one 100 yard rusher and only one run over 20 yards the entire season.

We did that with Smith out for most of that season replaced by Ziggy Hood.

Great linebacker play is what makes this defense tick. We just lost a defensive player of the year and the best run defending 3/4 linebacker this side of LT in Harrison and wonder why the decline?

Give me Farrior and Harrison in their prime and nobody is whining about defensive line.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-07-2014 at 01:26 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    No I wouldn't. I would do exactly what the Texans are doing. Shop the pick, trade down, then draft him. I wouldn't fault them if they did stay at 1 and still draft him. I do see the logic in it (pairing him with J.J. Watt).

Bigger question is.....why do you have the Steelers drafting a SS in as high a round as 2 when they already have the leagues best SS, and another one (Shamarko Thomas), waiting in the wings?

Fair enough DUb. But you would certainly take a QB with the first pick if it was yours. lol As far as why i would take Buchannon,.. ...he has the heart of a strong safety, but the ball skills and competitive drive of a corner. I see Chris Hope with more natural athleticism. This kid will not be there after round two and may go late first.

Allow Troy to groom him and put him on the field with Troy,.... it's lights out in the secondary. And i think we would have our next stud safety. Just so happens he would play free,... while his "Chris Hope stud but not quite on his level" counterpart,... would play at strong.(Thomas)

Of course,.... after Troy retires a Steeler as a part of another World Champion unit.
    Last edited by Rod Polamalu; 01-07-2014 at 02:41 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You are right about Smith, he was a true monster. Put him and Hampton together and there you go.. Opposing team's running game = non factor.
    I agree...Smith and Hampton together made for a terrific run stuffing DL.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's my previous post Shawn:

Our D was gashed against the run this year, so we need our NT play to be dominant. If it's by the draft, so be it, if it's by developing someone who is already on the roster... great. Suring up NT would also allow McClendon, Woods, etc to compete for a position they may be better suited for (DE). I think keeping Keisel around for another year (at a modest price tag) would provide much need leadership and depth.

I'm all for drafting a NT in the first round if that's what's needed. I understand the importance of having "That guy".
    Personally, I would prefer to grab a true 2 gapper somewhere else...FA...develop someone we already have. But, it's obvious it has to be addressed. So, we are on the same page..."that guy" is a must have if we are going to run the 3-4. Now, if LeBeau retires...who knows.
    Trolls are people too.