Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Early 1-14 mock draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Here's the thing with that quote though: McLendon was not on the field for most if not all of those big runs. The Pryor run in OAK, he was on the sideline. AP's run, Ziggy was on the Nose I believe. Tannehill & Daniel Thomas both ripped off 50+ yard gains... no McLendon. And I think Matt Forte also had a big gain against us, and again--McLendon was not on the field.

It is why I keep asking someone to give a knowledgeable appraisal of him as a NT. If you take those instances as fact, how does that affect your perception of our run D? And then, what does it say about McLendon as a NT? I'm cooling on the Nix stuff, because I have a feeling that McLendon is not only a body in there at NT, but a plus defender in that role.
    Given that what you are saying is true, it certainly does affect my perception of McClendon as our long term NT. Given that we pissed away Kennan Lewis, I wouldn't be too upset with a shut down corner in the first/second rounds.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    How about the team with the number one overall pick? When you are a team who has a lot of the parts together except for QB, and have publically stated you are shopping the number 1 overall pick, that means you are not sold on any of the QB's. There is talk that they are salivating over the thought of having J.J. Watt teamed with Ja'Daveon Clowney. After all they have to play Andrew Luck twice a year for the next 10 years. Read this from the Texans.....

"Maybe we'll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player," McNair said, [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10238006/houston-texans-owner-bob-mcnair-open-trading-no-1-pick"]via ESPN.com[/URL]. "It's an exciting time. Everything's a moving target. Lot of different pieces."
    The 2014 draft will mark the third time in franchise-history that the Texans have held the No. 1 overall pick. In 2002, the expansion Texans used the first overall selection to take Fresno State quarterback David Carr.
    Carr didn't do much with the Texans, but he did lead the team to a 2-14 finish in 2005 that gave Houston the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 [URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft"]NFL Draft[/URL]. With that pick, the Texans selected North Carolina State defensive end [URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/427356/mario-williams"]Mario Williams[/URL].
    "The defensive player worked out better than the offensive player," McNair said. "That won't lock us into anything."
    General manager Rick Smith echoed that sentiment, saying there's no guarantee the Texans will draft a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick, "I don't think you take a particular position just because you need a particular position at any point in the draft, especially the first pick," Smith said. "So we'll rank it, we'll value it, and we'll make good choices if the opportunity presents itself to move back because it is a very valuable pick, and we'll entertain those as well."

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24397002/texans-owner-bob-mcnair-houston-open-to-trading-no-1-pick[/URL]
    Smoke and mirrors Dub, smoke and mirrors. And dude seriously,.....are you telling me that you honestly believe that the Texans who most certainly are probably just a franchise signal caller away from being able to compete for a world title would select with the 1st pick in the entire draft,....a D-lineman whom layed down for an entire season ? Really ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Smoke and mirrors Dub, smoke and mirrors. And dude seriously,.....are you telling me that you honestly believe that the Texans who most certainly are probably just a franchise signal caller away from being able to compete for a world title would select with the 1st pick in the entire draft,....a D-lineman whom layed down for an entire season ? Really ?
    First off Clowney didnt lay down all year.... part of the problem with Clowney is everyone wanted/expected to see 5 more Michigan decapitations this year. Teams game planned for Clowney all year.

It would be unfair to see Clowney and JJ on the same team.... I wouldnt be surprised to see a team trade up to get him in the top 5.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When there isn't a clear cut number 1 QB (a Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, etc.), and when all the top 5-7 QB's aren't separated by that much, and you know you an get one at pick number 33, ......YES I DO!!!
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Chis Hoke who never made first team all conference in the defensive talent hotbed that is the MOUNTAIN WEST before becoming a undrafted Steeler was 17-1 as a starter.

Example:
    Bens rookie season Casey out for the season game 6.
    Most games missed of Casey's career (10).
    Was all hope lost as our defense plunged into mediocrity? Nope.

Hoke starts the remaining 10 games and not only do we win all 10, we end up with the number one defense in both points and yardage and a Steeler all time record for wins.

We lost nothing when Casey was out when we had a stable of pro bowl linebackers.

Put Potsie and Harrison in their prime on this team and we would be talking about how McClendon makes them look great.

$$

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    When there isn't a clear cut number 1 QB (a Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, etc.), and when all the top 5-7 QB's aren't separated by that much, and you know you an get one at pick number 33, ......YES I DO!!!
    Hahahaha,...copy that Bro. Well,..with that said,...would YOU take Clowney with the first pick in this year's Draft if the Texans were your franchise and you were personally responsible for it's wellbeing and or fortune ? (Ie: No house money,... but your own) lol
    Last edited by Rod Polamalu; 01-05-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    First off Clowney didnt lay down all year.... part of the problem with Clowney is everyone wanted/expected to see 5 more Michigan decapitations this year. Teams game planned for Clowney all year.

It would be unfair to see Clowney and JJ on the same team.... I wouldnt be surprised to see a team trade up to get him in the top 5.
    Dizz,...the kid layed down bro. I was raised to believe that you never throw a fight for any reason,...and he did so for an entire season. Does this mean that he is not capable of redemption and or that he lacks the potential to be a stud at league level ? Not at all,..i am just saying that if i were an owner i do not think i would be willing to take the risk with a top five pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dizz,...the kid layed down bro. I was raised to believe that you never throw a fight for any reason,...and he did so for an entire season. Does this mean that he is not capable of redemption and or that he lacks the potential to be a stud at league level ? Not at all,..i am just saying that if i were an owner i do not think i would be willing to take the risk with a top five pick.
    Simply not true...

Clowney played 76% of the snaps he suited up for... most NFL DE's in a 4-3 play between 72 to 78%.

Every team game planned against him...

Teams are signing Cutler and Romo to insane contracts... its foolish to think GMs will avoid Clowney. This isnt about what you will do... its about what GMs will do and you know damn well they will jump to get him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For the amount of hype he's gotten, Clowney should be Aldon Smith. Will he be? Answer: No.

Chris Long was a DE picked in the top 5. Which guy (Long or Clowney) would I take if I needed a DE in the top 5? Probably Long. Because Long is dependable. He's a guy you can hang your hat on.

Now, take Long's opposite number on the Rams, Robert Quinn... who had a monster year this season. Why wasn't Quinn a "#1 overall pick" kind of guy? He wasn't, because he took off the entire season ahead of the draft (lying about something 'er other to the NCAA). Is that basically what Clowney did, take the year off? If you say yes, then you're saying he has the same warts that a guy like Quinn had, making him fall to #12 or whatever it was.

Clowney is a similar talent to Aldon Smith or Quinn. Aldon was picked 7, Quinn 12. Clowney should fit right around there too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Once teams game-planned for Clowney he disappeared. Teams game planned for J Harrison and he still made plays, teams gameplanned for Troy and he still made plays. Dominant players make plays regardless.