Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Fire Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell

Pro Bowler
    Only the Steelers know why he was let go. Maybe it was philosophical differences from the OC or something else?

Legend
    Did the OL really improve this year or did Ben finally accept what Haley wanted him to do which just made a mediocre OL look better? I think it was much more of the latter than the former.

IMO our OL did not improve. Gilbert got just a little better. Adams didn't improve at all. Beachum is not the long term solution at LT. Still no depth.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    The OL didn't get better... we just called plays that hid our OL and Bell turned no gainers into 3 yarders. This is great news.

Pro Bowler
    We must be setting the bar really low if some think Bicknell did an OK job. I don't care how banged up the line was (all teams have injuries).....the no huddle saved Ben's life and the team couldn't run the ball consistently all season.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Only the Steelers know why he was let go. Maybe it was philosophical differences from the OC or something else?
    Maybe the philosophical difference was that the Steelers would like to average more than 3 yards per rush.

Hall of Famer
    Maybe they hold his overall program responsible for the high rate of injury.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Why the Steelers decided to fire OL coach Jack Bickknell Jr.

Gerry Dulac

The Steelers’ decision to fire offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. after just one season might come as a surprise because of the steady improvement of the offensive line in the second half of the year.

However, the move is not surprising because Bicknell’s role slowly diminished after the Steelers had problems protecting Ben Roethlisberger and running the football in the first half of the season.

In fact, for most of the second half of the season, offensive assistant Shaun Sarrett was doing a lot of the instruction and daily handling of the offensive line, according to sources – duties normally performed by the offensive line coach.

What’s more, it did not help Bicknell’s cause that the outside zone blocking schemes that were to be a large part of the team’s revamped running scheme were non-existent once the regular season began.

Curiously, the offensive line improved as the season wore on.

After allowing 36 sacks in the first nine games, the Steelers allowed just seven in the final seven games. And the running game that averaged just 3.4 yards in the first 11 games averaged 4.1 yards in the final five games.

But the Steelers apparently believed that Bicknell was not the reason for the improvement.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201401030006

Wow...I guess the team knew this was coming all along then. Kind of amazing that his diminished role wasn't revealed at some point.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Pro Bowler
    I think we can assume the "zone blocking" was FAIL, with the cheating, cheap cut blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I think we can assume the "zone blocking" was FAIL, with the cheating, cheap cut blocks.
    I'm not sad about that.