Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What About This Guy?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What About This Guy?

I don't follow college ball like I used to, so I'd like to rely on the Planet draft junkies to offer their opinion on Brent Urban, the 6-7 DE from Virginia.

I would like to see us grab Dennard in the first (unless Evans somehow drops) and Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. Urban seems like he would be a nice target in the 3rd round.

Thoughts?

Legend

User Info Menu

Urban is a project. He has all the physical attributes but hasn't put it all together according to scouting reports. Late round 3 or Round 4 would be a good spot for him but he won't be starter ready as a rookie which isn't a problem with LeBeau who would keep him off the field even if he could play. That way we would get to see him play in the last year of his rookie contract and then potentially lose him if he was good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Watched some film on him and Virginia Tech game mostly.
    He uses his hands well and long arms keep linemen from getting to his frame. Stays on his feet and that is a key for a dt and he is more tackle then end to me. Tall and gets his hands up makes him tough to throw over. Has short area burst(seems more quick then fast) and gets some push. I would say a 4-3 team will like him inside as he seems to have good instincts finding the ball. Motor seems above average for someone with his size. Looks like he does not take plays off.
    Cons.... i do not see him as a rusher who can turn the corner. Other issues are health. Missed some time in 13 with wrist injury and had acl tear a few years back.
    More pluses then most. 4-3 teams I think will like him INSIDE.
    I think he has a 4th round grade and I would kind of agree with that. Upside is there so high ceiling players like this not likely to be on the board after round 5.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Urban is a project. He has all the physical attributes but hasn't put it all together according to scouting reports. Late round 3 or Round 4 would be a good spot for him but he won't be starter ready as a rookie which isn't a problem with LeBeau who would keep him off the field even if he could play. That way we would get to see him play in the last year of his rookie contract and then potentially lose him if he was good.
    How in the hell do you think Calvin Pryor is gonna be a 2nd rounder?

Rookie

User Info Menu

It's not LeBeau...it's Mitchell...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    How in the hell do you think Calvin Pryor is gonna be a 2nd rounder?
    That was very early mock. Will have my final in next couple days.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It's not LeBeau...it's Mitchell...
    It's never Lebeau for anything. The only legendary, Hall of Fame coach in NFL history who is responsible for nothing

Rookie

User Info Menu

It's never Lebeau for anything. The only legendary, Hall of Fame coach in NFL history who is responsible for nothing
    Shamarko Thomas got some PT last year...as did Jarvis Jones and Vince Williams...

Cortez Allen got some good PT over the last few years...

LBs and DBs...

Cam Heyward barely got on the field until last year...

LBs and DBs get to play...DLs get to wait...

And, he's not responsible for nothing...he's responsible for fielding a defense that is typically among the top of NFL defenses...

Legend

User Info Menu

I am not anything like a draftnick, but hearing all the talk about how it works when a team decides to pick a player or not, the value of experience and opponents, etc., I have to wonder if Mean Joe would have been drafted by anyone. At best he would have been a project.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Urban had surgery on his ankle in February. That could cause him to possibly drop into the 5th round.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.