Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steelers draft watch: WR Allen Robinson in Round 2?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers 2014 NFL Draft Fact or Fiction

By Curt Popejoy , Featured Columnist Apr 10, 2014

Steelers Are Interested in Penn State Wide Receiver Allen Robinson: Fact

According to Steelers writer James Wexell, the Steelers have an interest in Penn State wide receiver Allen Robinson. Robinson casts an impressive shadow at 6'3" and 210 pounds and had a solid 2013 season, hauling in 97 receptions for 1,432 yards and six touchdowns. He was the focus of the Penn State offense and rarely did he fail to live up to expectations.

Robinson could represent an incredible value to the Steelers if they could get him with their second-round pick. His combination of height and athletic ability is something the team is lacking. And yes, this does account for Darrius Heyward-Bey being on the team. In fact, drafting Robinson would likely allow the Steelers to jettison Heyward-Bey before he drops any meaningful passes.

Mark this one down firmly as FACT.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2023745-pittsburgh-steelers-2014-nfl-draft-fact-or-fiction/page/2[/URL]
    Well he had a monster pro day. I think he could still be there at 46.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Ok thank you. But shoots my theory in the head.
    Plus...go back to '99 when they drafted Troy Edwards in the first. Torry Holt was the runaway #1 WR, and he was drafted sixth. David Boston was the #2 and was taken eighth.

There wasn't another first round worthy WR, but the Steelers reached at 13 for Edwards. He was the last receiver taken in the first. Others in contention for the #3 WR pick would have been guys like Kevin Johnson and Peerless Price, in an unspectacular draft for receivers. The only other noteworthy wideout in that draft? A seventh rounder who the Pack chose from Alcorn State...Donald Driver.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Disagree. When the draft rolled around, I don't think anyone had Sweed as a first. IIRC, he was considered a solid 1st at the start of his final season. But as the season went on, I think he exposed himself to the point where he got drafted.

As for Santonio, I think he was considered the #1 WR available in a weaker class. He was highly regarded though.

Plex I don't recall. He was near Top 10, so I assume he was an ascending guy going into the draft.
    Sweed was hurt during the season which required wrist surgery & that's what affected his stock...he was the #1 WR going into the season.

The real thing to consider with the WRs is that only TWO are considered ELITE. What the team has to figure out is of the rest, who they want & is he enough to move assets to get him. If the difference between Robinson, Moncrief & Matthews isn't that much - then any one of them would suit us in the 2nd. But if they rate another player higher (let's say defensive), then another set of considerations are in order as we move to 3rd/4th round talent.

Of the three I mentioned earlier, I like Moncrief the best & hope that he's available in the 3rd but it's unlikely as Matthews seems to be the WR that's getting lost in the shuffle & more likely to drop. If that's the case then we're looking at Bryant or my dark horse - Jeff Janis - in the 5th. Either way I believe we come out of this with a decent WR prospect & maybe one or two as UDFAs (Chris Boyd, Matt Hazel).
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Plex had character concerns, which did show up in his career in Pgh. I recall Cowher saying, after we took him, "I called him and he called me back" as if that proved that Plex had no character concerns. His own coaches would not vouch for the guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

WR Cody Latimer on Steelers' radar

April, 25, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Cody Latimer, arguably the fastest rising player in the NFL draft, held a private workout on Friday and Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Richard Mann was among those in attendance, per NFL.com’s Gil Brandt.

The Steelers met with Latimer at the NFL scouting combine two months ago, and he is one of the hottest names in the draft right now.

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Latimer as the 29th-best player in the draft, and Todd McShay is also high on the Indiana wide receiver.

"I’ve watched five tapes of his games and he didn’t drop a ball," McShay said. "I was blown away with his skill set."

There is a lot to like about Latimer, a projected first- or second-round pick.

He has good size -- Latimer measured 6-2 and weighed 215 pounds at the combime -- and McShay said he was clocked between 4.39 and 4.43 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Indiana’s pro day.

Latimer did not run at the combine since he was still recovering from surgery to fix a broken metatarsal in his foot. The fact he was limited in what he could do at the combine as well as sheer volume of wide receivers in the draft may have contributed to Latimer staying a bit under the radar until the past couple of weeks.

But he excelled at Indiana, catching 72 passes for 1,096 yards and nine touchdowns last season as a junior, and Latimer has upside since he didn’t start playing football until his junior year of high school and instead concentrated on basketball.

The range where Latimer is projected to go in the draft does not match up well with where the Steelers pick. But the draft is so flush with wide receivers Latimer could last until where the Steelers' pick in the second round.

Or he could be an option for them in the first round if they trade down.

“He’s competitive, can run after the catch and has great ball skills,” McShay said.

He also has the size the Steelers are lacking at wide receiver. Keep an eye on Latimer -- it's something the Steelers are apparently doing as well.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/78752/wr-cody-latimer-on-steelers-radar[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Round 2 (46) Pittsburgh Steelers: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

The Steelers land their big receiver for Big Ben.

In 2013, Robinson recorded 97 receptions for 1,432 yards and six touchdowns. The junior demonstrated nice quickness to get separation and run-after-the catch ability. He had many prolific games, including contests against Ohio State (12-173), Illinois (11-165) and Indiana (12-173). Robinson could be on the bubble between the first and second day of the 2014 NFL Draft. How well he runs at the Combine - poorly - and his pro day will have a big impact on his draft stock.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Robinson was one of the bright spots of the 2012 season for Penn State. He excelled in the Nittany Lions' new pro-style offense. Robinson hauled in 77 passes for 1,018 yards and 11 touchdowns after barely playing in 2011.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie_2.php[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

I hope he somehow falls to us in round 2 but IMO he may be the 2nd best receiver in this draft class. Hopefully his 4.6 forty will scare some teams off.

Another AS masterpiece.