Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben's extension?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben's extension?

So how will the Cutler signing effect a extension for Ben?

Legend

User Info Menu

How much was the contract? 7 years...how many $$$'s?
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    How much was the contract? 7 years...how many $$$'s?
    Can not find any dollar figures yet to early I figure. Just wanted to see how must guys figure this will impact the Ben signing. I will post the money figure if I see it.

Legend

User Info Menu

When the whole trade rumor nonsense started, Ben already said he will take less to remain with the Steelers.

The reality is that you are not going to be able to have a QB of Ben's caliber for less than $18M per year. In Ben's case it really all gets down to the guaranteed money the team offers. A high percentage of any extension he signs will have to be guaranteed.

Hopefully we still don't have anyone delusional enough to think Ben isn't worth every penny after the outstanding season he just had. Like I said, just start to list the number of QBs the Steelers went through from Bradshaw to Ben and the lack of any championships during that period. That alone makes the case for keeping Ben.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I just saw Cutler got $17.6M per year with $50M guaranteed. I think it was 7 year contract.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    When the whole trade rumor nonsense started, Ben already said he will take less to remain with the Steelers.

The reality is that you are not going to be able to have a QB of Ben's caliber for less than $18M per year. In Ben's case it really all gets down to the guaranteed money the team offers. A high percentage of any extension he signs will have to be guaranteed.

Hopefully we still don't have anyone delusional enough to think Ben isn't worth every penny after the outstanding season he just had. Like I said, just start to list the number of QBs the Steelers went through from Bradshaw to Ben and the lack of any championships during that period. That alone makes the case for keeping Ben.
    I don't think anyone thought Ben wasn't deserving of the money. The thought was that this team was years away from being competitive so lets see what we could get trading Ben so we could become competitive faster. I was one of those that agreed with that.

I never dreamed that all it would take was Ben buying into Haley's system to make our O-line look good in pass protection. Ovi, I don't even think you saw that coming. We turned things around which gave us a mixed bag. We played our way out of getting a franchise left tackle but we gave ourselves hope for next year.

We still have holes, especially up the middle on defense. Linebackers used to be the strength of the defense but I'm not sure that is the case anymore. If they aren't then we should consider switching to the 4-3 or hybrid 4-3 that the 49ers play. We also need a replacement for Heath or at least someone to compliment him although the running game did pick up when Spaeth came off IR.

Ben is Ben and I've always said he is the most exciting and frustrating QB in the league. I love what he has done for the Steelers but I always thought he was too stubborn. I never dreamed he would change his style of play and then he goes and does exactly that. Once again he has amazed me.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't think anyone thought Ben wasn't deserving of the money. The thought was that this team was years away from being competitive so lets see what we could get trading Ben so we could become competitive faster. I was one of those that agreed with that.

I never dreamed that all it would take was Ben buying into Haley's system to make our O-line look good in pass protection. Ovi, I don't even think you saw that coming. We turned things around which gave us a mixed bag. We played our way out of getting a franchise left tackle but we gave ourselves hope for next year.

We still have holes, especially up the middle on defense. Linebackers used to be the strength of the defense but I'm not sure that is the case anymore. If they aren't then we should consider switching to the 4-3 or hybrid 4-3 that the 49ers play. We also need a replacement for Heath or at least someone to compliment him although the running game did pick up when Spaeth came off IR.

Ben is Ben and I've always said he is the most exciting and frustrating QB in the league. I love what he has done for the Steelers but I always thought he was too stubborn. I never dreamed he would change his style of play and then he goes and does exactly that. Once again he has amazed me.
    I'll take Ben's blemishes because it could be 20 years before you find someone who could produce like him. You must have a franchise QB in this league to have any chance of winning a championship. I'll go with the old adage " a bird in hand,..."

We don't have the LB talent we had 5 years ago, so IMO we do need to switch. We just don't have the OLBs you need for LeBeau's defense to work. I do like what San Fran does. It is an example of making your defense fit the players you have not the other way around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I just saw Cutler got $17.6M per year with $50M guaranteed. I think it was 7 year contract.
    Well, if Ben doesn't play for less than FMV he probably won't be a Steeler. If Cutler is worth $50M guaranteed then Ben is worth about $65M guaranteed and could sign the largest contract ever. Really, $50M guaranteed for Cutler, I hope the Bears lose every F%!$#ing game and get into cap Hell, similar to the Ravens or worse. What on God's green earth has this guy done to deserve that kind of scratch?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't believe these NFL teams... I thought Cutler was on the hot seat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I can't believe these NFL teams... I thought Cutler was on the hot seat.
    I think all these teams so clearly see that a "franchise" QB is so essential to having any chance to win that they are willing to take the risk and overpay for guys who are clearly borderline. QB is just too hard a position to find and if you have one you have to keep him or you could enter a decade of irrelevance hoping to find one.