Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ben's extension?

Hall of Famer
    brady tood a "discount' because he got more money guaranteed in the extension then what he had left in his contract

It gets to a point where the money is no longer meaningful. All these players, including Ben, are unimaginably wealthy by now, and it would take a significant combination of bad luck and stupidity for them to find themselves among the middle class again. It wont matter if its 10 mil a year or 20 mil, its still enough money that he could spend the rest of his life comfortably on one year's earnings, ignoring all he's made in the past, and all he will make in the future. I don't know if he and his agent see things quite this way though; but if they do, a 14-15 mil per year contract is not out of the question, provided a sufficient fraction of it is guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think all these teams so clearly see that a "franchise" QB is so essential to having any chance to win that they are willing to take the risk and overpay for guys who are clearly borderline. QB is just too hard a position to find and if you have one you have to keep him or you could enter a decade of irrelevance hoping to find one.
    Agreed Ovi. I heard one guy saying something along the lines of it being unreal for a franchise QB of Cutler's stature to hit the open market. Really? Jay Cutler goes from being the universal icon for quitter to an essential piece as a franchise QB? Is the upcoming Bridgewater/Manziel/Boyd crop so bad that you are forced to give a Cutler $50M guaranteed?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Agreed Ovi. I heard one guy saying something along the lines of it being unreal for a franchise QB of Cutler's stature to hit the open market. Really? Jay Cutler goes from being the universal icon for quitter to an essential piece as a franchise QB? Is the upcoming Bridgewater/Manziel/Boyd crop so bad that you are forced to give a Cutler $50M guaranteed?
    Aren't teams "forced" to spend a certain percentage of their payroll on vets? I know that dont have to spend it on Cutler but looking at past Bear QB's I can see why they would see franchise in him. I wouldn't do it but we are talking NFL franchises...