Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veterans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Veterans

If the Steelers learned anything from keeping Aaron Smith too long they will release Brett Kiesel. Clark made the comment or something to the affect that, he does not give minimum effort so his pay should not be minimized. I agree about his effort but, his results are not the same of a younger Ryan Clark. He better have a self-awareness check with the value of his present days skills compared to his past efforts. The talk about Ike Taylor being moved to safety is nice but, a couple of things come to mind. I really don't think Ike has lost that much of a step and if he had, he's savvy enough to know how to position himself with remaining a corner. Can he physically hold up to being a safety ? It could be a good thing with him at safety, still on the team, allowing the exit of another safety and if the new corner they plug in for Ike is not cutting it, move Ike back to corner. Troy should remain if he takes a pay cut. If his injury prone style of play didn't cause me alarm I would be all in favor of keeping him at a good salary. Plaxico is gone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Brett Kiesel is not resigned who will play RDE?? They will either have to sign Kiesel for 1-yr contract and draft a DE early in the draft or they will have to extend Ziggy who has shown nothing so far.

I will look for a mid-tier FA.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    If Brett Kiesel is not resigned who will play RDE?? They will either have to sign Kiesel for 1-yr contract and draft a DE early in the draft or they will have to extend Ziggy who has shown nothing so far.

I think a mid-tier FA might the best option. I like Kiesel, but he has missed time with injuries in the past 2 years, and that isn't likely to improve with age. If he agreed to a qualified minimum contract, you could consider him as a rotational player, but the Steelers need to find another starter opposite Heyward. I'd prefer that it not be Ziggy Hood.

As for Clark, he was a big part of some very good teams, but thanks for the memories and time to move on to ESPN.

Legend

User Info Menu

if we were to choose NT Louis Dix III in Round 1, that would allow Steve McLendon to move to DE which might be more of a natural position for him.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if we were to choose NT Louis Dix III in Round 1, that would allow Steve McLendon to move to DE which might be more of a natural position for him.

I agree with this. That would be quite a formidable front three. Maybe get Keisel to come back discounted and as a backup on a 1 year deal. Aenfelt would be the other DE.

Address S, CB and a TE in rounds 2-4.

Legend

User Info Menu

I really liked Arnfelt last preseason.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't think Ike at safety is a good idea. The Steelers should draft a safety (Ha Ha Clinton-Dix), sign a reasonable FS in FA, or play Golden.

And for the record, I think Clark's comment is moronic at best. His pay shouldn't be based on effort... it should be based on RESULTS from his EFFORTS.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't think Ike at safety is a good idea. The Steelers should draft a safety (Ha Ha Clinton-Dix), sign a reasonable FS in FA, or play Golden.

And for the record, I think Clark's comment is moronic at best. His pay shouldn't be based on effort... it should be based on RESULTS from his EFFORTS.
    I'm curious, when you call for Clinton-Dix, do you ignore Rolando McClain, Courtney Upshaw, Dont'a Hightower, Dre Kirkpatrick, Kareem Jackson, Dee Milliner... none of whom has yet set the league on fire? I'm not saying they won't, nor am I hating... I'm just curious if you simply look at him in/of himself, and if you do, how? Right or wrong, it's hard for me to separate one from the other. (Same goes with CJ Mosley, Kuondjio, etc.)

I think the best single thing we can do for ourselves (besides getting Troy to stay at a reduced rate), is doing the same thing with Woodley. I think getting a cheaper Woodley will allow us to see Worilds go, who I don't think is worth what the market will demand. I think he is an injury-prone guy (like Woodley), and we would be best served letting him walk and finding Woodley's replacement in the next couple years. In that time, we would just have to cross our fingers, that Woodley could give us 12 games a year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One more year for Keisel. He still has it on the field, and would provide some leadership. My $.02

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like Hawaiinsteels idea with this. I too worry if Worilds will be the right guy if signed to a big contract. Will Larry Foote be back and or has Williams ddeserved another shot at getting better at the position ?