Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those that think Steelers go NT before round 4

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

there are so many areas in my opinion with nose tackles, safeties, corners. if you picked the best available at any of these three positions, I can't see us going wrong. I just hope whomever they pick, we don't set them on the bench for the first couple or three seasons. Get these guys all groomed, pay them and when they finally come of age, we can't afford to sign them with a new contract.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    It's more complicated than stats. Throwing out raw stats would mean Haley is the best passing OC the Steelers have ever had... just sayin'.

In any event, it'd be nice to have an NT that required a double-team again. And with that, when Keisel and Hood are gone next year, move Mclendon to DE.. McClendon at DE next to Nix and Heyward... great DL. I'd throw in an ILB either in FA or early in the draft. If you can completely take away the run (like LeBeau's teams of old did) it allows the team to dial up some really good blitzes on passing downs.
    Sing it brother +1

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    there are so many areas in my opinion with nose tackles, safeties, corners. if you picked the best available at any of these three positions, I can't see us going wrong. I just hope whomever they pick, we don't set them on the bench for the first couple or three seasons. Get these guys all groomed, pay them and when they finally come of age, we can't afford to sign them with a new contract.
    If we draft a safety or DB, they will ride the bench the first year because of the complexity of the job. We draft a NT and he starts day 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's funny how some have to read about what their teams players do or don't for from some website. Do you watch these games? Do you know anything about this game?

Bottom line...McClendon is a one gap player at a position and defense that requires a two gap player. What he did statistically versus the run doesn't take into account what he is suppose to do for his teammates behind him.

Suggestion....stop reading and watch.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I watched and recorded every game for the last 20 ( I remember Sunday Ticket 89$ on the big dish) years so you are probably questioning the wrong fan. The poor run Defense are contributed to many of things and Steve ain't one. First off Kiesel is not good at stopping the run (a better pash rusher) and Ziggy's not good either, add Cam only got the starting time later in the season along with when he was playing well Steve started suffering injuries. Add Troy playing out of positions and Timmons the only true ILB. Along with other things.
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 01-01-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

But NT play ain't the reason. The Steelers have been looking for the next Aaron Smith for years that tells me because they draft back to back DE and the finally found him in Hayward. Ziggy never did pan out and Kiesel have been wearing roller skates for three years straight.
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 01-01-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think many forgot how our run stop defense suffered when Aaron Smith would miss a game due to injury and with him no longer on the team, we basically have no run stop. Mix into it that Hampton is gone also. Ziggy is not and never will be Aaron and Brett was good on his side but he never offered the run stop abilities Aaron has. Heyward, what the hell had taken the coaches so long to allow him to play steady ? My goodness, if there was ever a position on the team that you should be able to have the opportunity to quickly start at, it should be the defensive line. They sure and heck allowed Ziggy his due but Heyward, they'll wait until he and the planet earth knows he's great and especially at contract time. Oy Vey ! said the Rabbi

Starter

User Info Menu

Nota lot of NTs to be had in the draft. Usually, the short, stout (Casey!) are the best at getting and holding the double teams. So, if he comes out this year (unlikely) I think we take Danny Shelton (6'1", 330) from Washington. Probably a 3rd rounder but dearth of NTs could make him 2nd. Woods, though not as short as desired, looks like the best option on our current roster, no disrespect to the efforts, attitude and work ethic of McLendon, who I like.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Interesting note I read about McLendon

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Kind of a flawed article, as it didn't even account for plays over the guards.

We all saw the Steelers get gashed with run plays up the middle - big plays - and we all saw that this simply isn't the same Steelers defense. Part of that is McClendon's inability to draw a double team. Timmons in particular is much better when he is clean, and he doesn't seem to do a great job of fighting off guards. The entire defense will be better with a stronger force inside.

I'm not saying that the Steelers need to invest a first rounder in a NT, but they do need to get more stout up front.
    Consider this interesting tidbit, about our mediocre at best run defense, and the role McLendon had in it. Every 50-yard run we had against our defense this year... that is: Terrelle Pryor, AP, Tannehill and Daniel Thomas' 50-yard burst, Forte...

McLendon wasn't on the field for any of them. Take that for what it is (if true). For me, I still see a lot of value in taking a guy like Nix, if he should somehow fall to 15. But to the people being hard on McLendon, it is a fact that seems to go against the notion that he is the reason for our porous run defense.
    Last edited by Shoe; 01-02-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    But NT play ain't the reason. The Steelers have been looking for the next Aaron Smith for years that tells me because they draft back to back DE and the finally found him in Hayward. Ziggy never did pan out and Kiesel have been wearing roller skates for three years straight.
    You do have this half right. Keisel and Hood are both questionable against the run. I questioned Keisel against the run years ago. No one will argue with you about Hood. From a pure...I'm going to tackle the runner stand point McClendon is probably more than adequate. That isn't the debate here. The debate is what is the responsibility of the NT? Is it coming up with 90 tackles a year? It's about commanding double teams which free up others to not only rush the passer but stop the run. The NT position is a thankless position....often when you are doing it right...your stats will be poor. Its because other teams are having to put 2 guys on him.

So while McClendon might be good against the run, he isn't a good NT. Replace Hood with McClendon and draft a real NT.
    Trolls are people too.