Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those that think Steelers go NT before round 4

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You do have this half right. Keisel and Hood are both questionable against the run. I questioned Keisel against the run years ago. No one will argue with you about Hood. From a pure...I'm going to tackle the runner stand point McClendon is probably more than adequate. That isn't the debate here. The debate is what is the responsibility of the NT? Is it coming up with 90 tackles a year? It's about commanding double teams which free up others to not only rush the passer but stop the run. The NT position is a thankless position....often when you are doing it right...your stats will be poor. Its because other teams are having to put 2 guys on him.

So while McClendon might be good against the run, he isn't a good NT. Replace Hood with McClendon and draft a real NT.
    I respect that, but if a big WR, CB, Safety or maybe a stud ILB is sitting there along with a stud NT what do you think the order of need will be from 1-5. With Troy, Ike aging and the uncertainty of Spence and Sanders probably gone.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I also admit that I'm not a college football watcher, but watching that highlight piece his game is a lot like Steve. He was blocked with a single man most of the plays and he used his quickness to penetrate.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I respect that, but if a big WR, CB, Safety or maybe a stud ILB is sitting there along with a stud NT what do you think the order of need will be from 1-5. With Troy, Ike aging and the uncertainty of Spence and Sanders probably gone.
    I know it's not sexy but I believe there are three positions you don't pass on if you need one in the front half of the draft...QB, LT and NT. 3-4 NTs that command double teams don't grow on trees. And while I would be ok with a LT if an elite one fell, I think the biggest need on the D is NT. It frees up an extra man in the box. When that happens watch JJ and Worilds numbers go up.

So, personally I would go NT, ILB, DB, S, LT, TE, then WR. I still think we have our big WR on this roster. I'm a huge Moye fan.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

In a 3-4 D, there are three essential pieces:

Cover CB
    Pass Rusher
    Nose Tackle

If you can field those three pieces, every thing else is gravy...that is why the defense worked do well for so long...

Over the last two years, we've lost an NT and a Pass Rusher...really, two pass rushers since Woodley somehow became useless...

The Steelers just drafted Jarvis Jones and they apparently like Cortez Allen...

Do they like McClendon? Do they like McClendon at DE, since Hood and Keisel will most likely be on their respective ways?

If Nix is determined to be a special player, then they should draft him...with a front three consisting of McClendon, Nix and Heyward, you could force defenses to spend a lot of blockers accounting for those three...you would have Arnfelt, Williams and Fangupo backing them up on the line...

Presuming that you can sign Worilds, your front seven is looking solid, even without adding an ILB....I believe Williams will improve....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    In a 3-4 D, there are three essential pieces:

Cover CB
    Pass Rusher
    Nose Tackle

If you can field those three pieces, every thing else is gravy...that is why the defense worked do well for so long...

Over the last two years, we've lost an NT and a Pass Rusher...really, two pass rushers since Woodley somehow became useless...

The Steelers just drafted Jarvis Jones and they apparently like Cortez Allen...

Do they like McClendon? Do they like McClendon at DE, since Hood and Keisel will most likely be on their respective ways?

If Nix is determined to be a special player, then they should draft him...with a front three consisting of McClendon, Nix and Heyward, you could force defenses to spend a lot of blockers accounting for those three...you would have Arnfelt, Williams and Fangupo backing them up on the line...

Presuming that you can sign Worilds, your front seven is looking solid, even without adding an ILB....I believe Williams will improve....
    Do we really have a Cover CB? I would say NO! I actually think this is a much greater need that someone to "occupy blockers." This has become a pass first league and we need to get much better at challenging receivers.

The multiple comebacks we have been victims of weren't because we couldn't control the LOS...they were because we don't have good cover CBs. The way the league continues to evolve into a wide open passing league the old "tackle the catch" is BS. We need people who can cover WRs not a fat guy to just hold the LOS.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Do we really have a Cover CB? I would say NO! I actually think this is a much greater need that someone to "occupy blockers." This has become a pass first league and we need to get much better at challenging receivers.

The multiple comebacks we have been victims of weren't because we couldn't control the LOS...they were because we don't have good cover CBs. The way the league continues to evolve into a wide open passing league the old "tackle the catch" is BS. We need people who can cover WRs not a fat guy to just hold the LOS.
    couldn't have said it better.

Legend

User Info Menu

we need fat guys to hold the LOS so the LB's can get penetration... you aren't going to win ANY games in this league with a "cover CB" and no pressure. This is why teams like Carolina are 12-4 with a ton of INT's by a shoddy secondary. Pressure is much more important than cover CB's IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Exactly feltdizz. Pressure is everything and having qb's rattled and throwing inherent passes makes a secondary a lot better than they truly are. I think that is why we did so well with Hampton, James Harrison and the rest of the crew. These guys were causing troubles up front that showed up in these secondary.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    we need fat guys to hold the LOS so the LB's can get penetration... you aren't going to win ANY games in this league with a "cover CB" and no pressure. This is why teams like Carolina are 12-4 with a ton of INT's by a shoddy secondary. Pressure is much more important than cover CB's IMO.
    You are exactly right. Who does Carolina have in that secondary?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    True but Steelers can get these fat boys in later rounds. No need to spend Rd 1 picks on DE or NT to hold on blockers. Steelers have already spent 2 Rd 1 picks on DE position.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT