Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those that think Steelers go NT before round 4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Those that think Steelers go NT before round 4

Are absolutely nuts, McClendon did his job and did it well. For starters Pro football focus graded him +5 against the run. Go to the Depot for more.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And plays up the middle Steelers opponents average about 2yds per carry, Steve ain't the problem.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    And plays up the middle Steelers opponents average about 2yds per carry, Steve ain't the problem.
    Kind of a flawed article, as it didn't even account for plays over the guards.

We all saw the Steelers get gashed with run plays up the middle - big plays - and we all saw that this simply isn't the same Steelers defense. Part of that is McClendon's inability to draw a double team. Timmons in particular is much better when he is clean, and he doesn't seem to do a great job of fighting off guards. The entire defense will be better with a stronger force inside.

I'm not saying that the Steelers need to invest a first rounder in a NT, but they do need to get more stout up front.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Interesting note I read about McLendon

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Kind of a flawed article, as it didn't even account for plays over the guards.

We all saw the Steelers get gashed with run plays up the middle - big plays - and we all saw that this simply isn't the same Steelers defense. Part of that is McClendon's inability to draw a double team. Timmons in particular is much better when he is clean, and he doesn't seem to do a great job of fighting off guards. The entire defense will be better with a stronger force inside.

I'm not saying that the Steelers need to invest a first rounder in a NT, but they do need to get more stout up front.
    Consider this interesting tidbit, about our mediocre at best run defense, and the role McLendon had in it. Every 50-yard run we had against our defense this year... that is: Terrelle Pryor, AP, Tannehill and Daniel Thomas' 50-yard burst, Forte...

McLendon wasn't on the field for any of them. Take that for what it is (if true). For me, I still see a lot of value in taking a guy like Nix, if he should somehow fall to 15. But to the people being hard on McLendon, it is a fact that seems to go against the notion that he is the reason for our porous run defense.
    Last edited by Shoe; 01-02-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In this day and age I don't worry about STOPPING the RUN like in the past. It's a passing league now. NT's need to get more penetration
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

It's more complicated than stats. Throwing out raw stats would mean Haley is the best passing OC the Steelers have ever had... just sayin'.

In any event, it'd be nice to have an NT that required a double-team again. And with that, when Keisel and Hood are gone next year, move Mclendon to DE.. McClendon at DE next to Nix and Heyward... great DL. I'd throw in an ILB either in FA or early in the draft. If you can completely take away the run (like LeBeau's teams of old did) it allows the team to dial up some really good blitzes on passing downs.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    It's more complicated than stats. Throwing out raw stats would mean Haley is the best passing OC the Steelers have ever had... just sayin'.

In any event, it'd be nice to have an NT that required a double-team again. And with that, when Keisel and Hood are gone next year, move Mclendon to DE.. McClendon at DE next to Nix and Heyward... great DL. I'd throw in an ILB either in FA or early in the draft. If you can completely take away the run (like LeBeau's teams of old did) it allows the team to dial up some really good blitzes on passing downs.
    Sing it brother +1

Legend

User Info Menu

No need to attack those that don't think like you...doesn't win you many points with other Steeler fans. Count me in the "nuts" crowd. That front 7 couldn't stop a runny nose let alone a running game. Some may have been on the ILB position, but I must believe its more on not having a true NT who commands double teams. Its why articles like this are flawed because they are not measuring the command for double teams but rather stats. The job of a NT isnt to make a bunch of tackles or rush the passer. Its to free up everyone else. The health of a 3-4 system is on the back of the NT, just like the health of an O is on the QB. So, SH if there is a flaw in thinking, I would believe it to be yours as what you are looking at to assess the quality of a NT is a poor measure at best.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sorry if you felt it was aimed at you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Sorry if you felt it was aimed at you.
    I am still on the fence with NT. Yes we got hit hard up the middle on some running plays. But is that just a bad play call on defense? A player or players not in position? Hamp was good but his back up Chris Hoke would seem to me to be just as good. Was it the DE's holding position and not penetrating? Was it the nose holding the point and not moving at all? I think Woods will be better then McClendon at holding the point. And there is still Fangupo who might pan out for a run stopper? Being over aggressive was always a problem for Steelers OLB's. Now it seems D-line, S, ILB are over aggressive against the run. Plus this year just some bad tackling I seen. If the Steelers sign Woods to a contract you will have your answer I think. I do see a need for DE to be drafted at this point. Hood & Diesel could be gone and the other back ups are very green. Could a cheap DE FA be brought in?