Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Those that think Steelers go NT before round 4

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Exactly. This season, Jones and Worilds could beat their man around the edge, but the QB could simply step up in the pocket to avoid the sack and deliver the ball to his receivers.

With Casey at his peak, the QB could not step up, so Harrison and Woodley would get more sacks. With Steed at his peak, the QB could not step up, so Lloyd and Greene would get more sacks.

Oviedo uses "occupy blockers" in quotes like its some sort of insult like a QB who is a "game manager." A nose tackle who can occupy multiple blockers is absolute gold both in the run game to free up our ILB's to make tackles in the box as well as in the run game to prevent the QB from being able to step up in the pocket, and thereby being more susceptible to sacks from our OLB's. It is not dying relic of the old NFL that is no longer valuable in today's high-flying passing days. The Carolina example (although they run a 4-3) is interesting, because they spent multiple early round picks on DT's last year (Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short), and that extra beef in the middle has paid off immediately for them.
    yep... I live in Charlotte and have this debate all the time with fans who beyotched about going DL in the first 2 rounds. The DB's are average but play much better and have tons of confidence because they RARELY get tested due to the pressure up front. The LB's stay clean... Keuchly and Davis are having monster years.

All those high flying offenses have flown pretty low for most of the year vs this Carolina D. They have Gettleman who was in the Giants FO and he is using the EXACT model the Giants used to win a few championships.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Exactly. This season, Jones and Worilds could beat their man around the edge, but the QB could simply step up in the pocket to avoid the sack and deliver the ball to his receivers.

With Casey at his peak, the QB could not step up, so Harrison and Woodley would get more sacks. With Steed at his peak, the QB could not step up, so Lloyd and Greene would get more sacks.

Oviedo uses "occupy blockers" in quotes like its some sort of insult like a QB who is a "game manager." A nose tackle who can occupy multiple blockers is absolute gold both in the run game to free up our ILB's to make tackles in the box as well as in the run game to prevent the QB from being able to step up in the pocket, and thereby being more susceptible to sacks from our OLB's. It is not dying relic of the old NFL that is no longer valuable in today's high-flying passing days. The Carolina example (although they run a 4-3) is interesting, because they spent multiple early round picks on DT's last year (Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short), and that extra beef in the middle has paid off immediately for them.

This is an excellent post!! Ruthless you nailed it.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    If Nix is that good then he should be considered top 5. I'm not saying he's not that good but with the number of teams playing the 3-4 a NT with that ability will go off the board quickly IMO.
    I think had he not had the injuries this year he could have been a top 5. I think he still has a chance to go top 12.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think Nix is available due to how many teams run the 3-4 and someone probably views him as an upgrade over who they have right now. Hopefully he is available.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Nix would collapse the pocket in the middle and occupy 2 guys which makes it easier for Timmons or the other ILB to get pressure. Not sure why you can't understand this but I think it's because you don't want to... lol.
    But Nix CAN'T occupy two blockers and won't demand two blockers going after him. He isn't that good. Watch a couple of his games this past season. He isn't in the same league as Hampton, Ngata, Atkins, etc.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But Nix CAN'T occupy two blockers and won't demand two blockers going after him. He isn't that good. Watch a couple of his games this past season. He isn't in the same league as Hampton, Ngata, Atkins, etc.
    No one knows if he can or can't play in the NFL, but the play that he has put on tape says that teams need two offensive linemen to negate him in the middle of the field. I think Dee Dub posted a link that focused on him in last year's ND vs Alabama game in which the ND defense was wrecked. Nix did more than hold his own on film in that game against 3 O-linemen playing in the NFL right now. People only remember the ND defense getting gouged for yards in that game and just assumed that no one played worth a damn on defense, the tape says differently.

Will that translate in the NFL? No one knows yet, but some team is going to find out, because he'll be drafted in the first, I kind of hope its the Steelers. I'd like for him to get a chance to make the center of the Steeler D-line stout again on a consistent basis, he looks like the real deal to me. And, like any rookie, after his rookie year and a year in the weight room with an NFL strength and conditioning coach he could become very good.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I've seen enough of him to know what he can do....

sorry, I think you are wrong on this one.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-02-2014 at 04:06 PM.