Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Justin Ellis will do all the things you mentioned and he should be avilabe in 4th-5th Rd.
    That is the point the NIx fans don't get. You can improve Nose Tackle play without spending the #15 pick in the draft.

I would rather get a big WR or TE who improves our success in the Red Zone which also needs improved as much as our run defense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That is the point the NIx fans don't get. You can improve Nose Tackle play without spending the #15 pick in the draft.

I would rather get a big WR or TE who improves our success in the Red Zone which also needs improved as much as our run defense.
    I think Steelers can get an impact TE at 15. With Haley using TE and RB more in passing game i would prefer a TE who can catch. Heath is not getting young and I think TE like Eric Ebron or Jace Amaro can help offense in passing and running plays.

They can load on Defense in next round onwards. Also they need to get a WR in draft or FA if Manny leaves.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If we could somehow trade down just a bit and pick up a couple extra mid round picks, still get a tight end that can catch and run, a wide receiver and then the five best guys on defense regardless of position, I'd be thrilled.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think nix is a Ngata or a Poe. He definitely doesn't command the double teams on tape that Hampton did either. Nix would improve the rushing defense in situational football...But I would also say you could get that player in this draft with less investment. If Nix was a 3 down player....I would pull the trigger. But he is coming off the field when the Steelers go nickel or dime. He will not push Heyward to the bench & he won't push Hood to the bench if he returns. He wouldn't push the fall back plan of Keisel to the bench either.

Feltdizz may have pointed out the biggest reason why you don't draft Nix @ #15. Making a team "one dimensional" brings Nix off the field. The Steelers can't play cover 0 or 1. If Shark can play single high or the sign/draft a player that can...Maybe the stay in base against 12 or 21. Witness to 2013 play shows the Steeler give up too many big plays in the passing game. 46 passing plays over 20 yards & 12 over 40. The majority of those plays came against sub packages meaning they were defending the pass. If the Steelers can't field a secondary that could go cover 0 or cover 1...The offensive personnel package will make the Steelers one dimensional(defend pass) like so many teams did this year. Fix the back end where the Steelers could play base against it...Nix becomes more appealing.

We heard "starting day 1" for JJ. There is no starting day 1 scenario in this defense. If it happens it is a bonus. It has been very hard for someone to crack Day 1 line-up. It took Hampton until week 7 to overtake "The highly talented Kendrick Clancy". That was a joke btw. Do I think Nix would overtake McClendon at NT before season end? I think he would have a shot. Retain Woods & Hood and draft that NT 3-5. I would take Justin Ellis, Ryan Carrethers, Beau Allen, or Zack Kerr later over Nix. Just watch Ellis & Carrethers....There isn't a big drop off & the investment is a better value. If you are going to spend #15 on defense...Use it at CB or LB. And yes...A LB or CB would have a bigger impact on this defense right now than Nix. There is no given "instant upgrade or instant impact" with a drafted player. But if you give me Nix, Mosley, or Gilbert...Mosley & Gilbert will impact the Steelers D as a whole more in '14 than Nix. If you can get that & still get Ellis/Carrethers/Allen in the 3rd-4th....You have plugged 2 holes.

The Steelers don't draft need in the 1st. If there is a player there graded out that fills a need they will go with it. There are more than 14 players better than Nix. Don't look at one side of the ball. When Sanders walks...WR will be a need. The class is talented at the top & deep. Wheaton showed nothing in game. If they sign Cotchery (32 in season) he will be a #3 at best & that may be Wheatons eventual spot. Cotchery may want to stay a Steelers but not at the Steeler price. I'm sure someone will offer twice as much...Will he listen. If he walks...Grab 2 WRs this draft...Very deep. Miller & Spaeth will be 31 & 32 in season so they could use youth and this draft got talented at the top at TE too. I think it is more likely WR, TE, LB, & CB will be graded out higher than Nix at #15. Add in Tendinitis and torn meniscus on a 350 pounder is always a concern. Nix ballooned in 2013....So 6 plus months of sitting around without being able to workout may get ugly. We will see at the combine what kind of dedication he has. The combine will surely impact my grade on him. Things that happen in FA will shed some light on things too.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 01-21-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't think nix is a Ngata or a Poe. He definitely doesn't command the double teams on tape that Hampton did either. Nix would improve the rushing defense in situational football...But I would also say you could get that player in this draft with less investment. If Nix was a 3 down player....I would pull the trigger. But he is coming off the field when the Steelers go nickel or dime. He will not push Heyward to the bench & he won't push Hood to the bench if he returns. He wouldn't push the fall back plan of Keisel to the bench either.

Feltdizz may have pointed out the biggest reason why you don't draft Nix @ #15. Making a team "one dimensional" brings Nix off the field. The Steelers can't play cover 0 or 1. If Shark can play single high or the sign/draft a player that can...Maybe the stay in base against 12 or 21. Witness to 2013 play shows the Steeler give up too many big plays in the passing game. 46 passing plays over 20 yards & 12 over 40. The majority of those plays came against sub packages meaning they were defending the pass. If the Steelers can't field a secondary that could go cover 0 or cover 1...The offensive personnel package will make the Steelers one dimensional(defend pass) like so many teams did this year. Fix the back end where the Steelers could play base against it...Nix becomes more appealing.

We heard "starting day 1" for JJ. There is no starting day 1 scenario in this defense. If it happens it is a bonus. It has been very hard for someone to crack Day 1 line-up. It took Hampton until week 7 to overtake "The highly talented Kendrick Clancy". That was a joke btw. Do I think Nix would overtake McClendon at NT before season end? I think he would have a shot. Retain Woods & Hood and draft that NT 3-5. I would take Justin Ellis, Ryan Carrethers, Beau Allen, or Zack Kerr later over Nix. Just watch Ellis & Carrethers....There isn't a big drop off & the investment is a better value. If you are going to spend #15 on defense...Use it at CB or LB. And yes...A LB or CB would have a bigger impact on this defense right now than Nix. There is no given "instant upgrade or instant impact" with a drafted player. But if you give me Nix, Mosley, or Gilbert...Mosley & Gilbert will impact the Steelers D as a whole more in '14 than Nix. If you can get that & still get Ellis/Carrethers/Allen in the 3rd-4th....You have plugged 2 holes.

The Steelers don't draft need in the 1st. If there is a player there graded out that fills a need they will go with it. There are more than 14 players better than Nix. Don't look at one side of the ball. When Sanders walks...WR will be a need. The class is talented at the top & deep. Wheaton showed nothing in game. If they sign Cotchery (32 in season) he will be a #3 at best & that may be Wheatons eventual spot. Cotchery may want to stay a Steelers but not at the Steeler price. I'm sure someone will offer twice as much...Will he listen. If he walks...Grab 2 WRs this draft...Very deep. Miller & Spaeth will be 31 & 32 in season so they could use youth and this draft got talented at the top at TE too. I think it is more likely WR, TE, LB, & CB will be graded out higher than Nix at #15. Add in Tendinitis and torn meniscus on a 350 pounder is always a concern. Nix ballooned in 2013....So 6 plus months of sitting around without being able to workout may get ugly. We will see at the combine what kind of dedication he has. The combine will surely impact my grade on him. Things that happen in FA will shed some light on things too.

on the mark!

BTW JPN--your mock is more than 50% of exactly what I have. My #1 is rolling beteween Evans, Benjamin and Amaro.

I really like both Urban and Allen for the DL too.

Legend

User Info Menu

we gave up big plays in the running game as well. I forget the stat but it was something like a 40 year low with 18 rushing TD's and more runs of 20 yards in the last 50 years or same crazy number. We sure seemed to do a great job before when we made teams 1 dimensional and our DB play wasn't much better than it is now.

TE's and DB's will be available in later rounds..

I prefer to get a monster NT in the first vs a late round nobody who won't make it off the practice squad.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    we gave up big plays in the running game as well. I forget the stat but it was something like a 40 year low with 18 rushing TD's and more runs of 20 yards in the last 50 years or same crazy number. We sure seemed to do a great job before when we made teams 1 dimensional and our DB play wasn't much better than it is now.

TE's and DB's will be available in later rounds..

I prefer to get a monster NT in the first vs a late round nobody who won't make it off the practice squad.
    Nix isn't going to be the monster you hope for unfortunately. A new Frankenstein movie hits the theaters in the next couple of weeks. You can get your monster fix there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We did give big running plays...As I motioned. We gave up 7 +20 which was 8th best in NFL. However, the 5 of +40 was the worst in over 2 decades. 5th worst in NFL this year. 2 were by Qbs & 3 by RBs. Easy to remember them...Week 3 Forte (50), Week 4 Peterson (60), Week 8 Pryor (93), & Week 14 Thomas (55) Tannehil (4. The Steelers have given up 1 or None over the last decade of runs over 40. You take away those 5 plays & the Steelers rushing defense is 5th best in the NFL.

Will a casual fan blame a NT for them? You aren't putting them on the NT from a football scheme. The Steelers were in Cover 1 or Cover 2 on all of them so Clark was free. He missed 3 of those tackles although he wasn't the only one who missed a tackle. The Steelers got caught in an ILB X stunt against a draw with Forte & Peterson followed up by the Bad News Bears theme playing as we watched the Steelers trying to tackle. Pryor's run needs to explanation...It was well documented...But the NT did his job on that play. The Steelers were in nickel for the two Dolphins runs. You can look at all the highlights for them. What was the common ground of all of them? Missed tackles but more importantly...Lack of speed to chase. When William Gay is the only DB closing on a RB in chase...Your secondary is old & slow. It took Taylor 40 yards to run down Tannehill. The depleted athleticism in the secondary was the absolute beast that was revealed in 2013 & the biggest contributor to plays given up over 40 yards. Drafting Nix in the 1st doesn't fix that. It just adds insult to injury when there is no guarantee he starts day 1 & he may play 40% of the defensive snaps. Now...Fix the secondary before draft & that pick becomes more appealing & plausible. I see Nix helping out the run defense. I see Ellis & Carrethers helping it out too. The Steelers are going to have to do something in the secondary in FA before I entertain the thought of Nix in the 1st.

NTs will be available in later rounds too. That could be said for any position that wants to be argued. Nix is the Top NT. That's it. He is 1st round talent. Is he the 15th best player in this draft? Not in my opinion. I would grade him 20-25 with a clean medical. If he comes into the combine over 350 pounds & doesn't put up low to mid 30's on bench... he falls outside that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    on the mark!

BTW JPN--your mock is more than 50% of exactly what I have. My #1 is rolling beteween Evans, Benjamin and Amaro.

I really like both Urban and Allen for the DL too.
    I think there will be offensive players there too graded at #15. If Benjamin has a good combine & interviews he may be right there with Evans. Amaro would be a very good flex TE option while Miller finishes up his career. That would allow Amaro time to develop inline. There will be skill players on offense who will contribute early as rookies. The Top defensive guys I see there are Mosley & Gilbert. I am not as high on Dennard & Clinton-Dix but their workouts could solidify things. Allen had a good shrine game. I'm higher on Ellis & Carrethers. I will see how it all plays out. If Urban has a good Senior Bowl...He will be on 3-4 team's radar. He looks the part of a 5 tech.

Legend

User Info Menu

We did give big running plays...As I motioned. We gave up 7 +20 which was 8th best in NFL. However, the 5 of +40 was the worst in over 2 decades. 5th worst in NFL this year. 2 were by Qbs & 3 by RBs. Easy to remember them...Week 3 Forte (50), Week 4 Peterson (60), Week 8 Pryor (93), & Week 14 Thomas (55) Tannehil (4. The Steelers have given up 1 or None over the last decade of runs over 40. You take away those 5 plays & the Steelers rushing defense is 5th best in the NFL.

Will a casual fan blame a NT for them? You aren't putting them on the NT from a football scheme. The Steelers were in Cover 1 or Cover 2 on all of them so Clark was free. He missed 3 of those tackles although he wasn't the only one who missed a tackle. The Steelers got caught in an ILB X stunt against a draw with Forte & Peterson followed up by the Bad News Bears theme playing as we watched the Steelers trying to tackle. Pryor's run needs to explanation...It was well documented...But the NT did his job on that play. The Steelers were in nickel for the two Dolphins runs. You can look at all the highlights for them. What was the common ground of all of them? Missed tackles but more importantly...Lack of speed to chase. When William Gay is the only DB closing on a RB in chase...Your secondary is old & slow. It took Taylor 40 yards to run down Tannehill. The depleted athleticism in the secondary was the absolute beast that was revealed in 2013 & the biggest contributor to plays given up over 40 yards. Drafting Nix in the 1st doesn't fix that. It just adds insult to injury when there is no guarantee he starts day 1 & he may play 40% of the defensive snaps. Now...Fix the secondary before draft & that pick becomes more appealing & plausible. I see Nix helping out the run defense. I see Ellis & Carrethers helping it out too. The Steelers are going to have to do something in the secondary in FA before I entertain the thought of Nix in the 1st.

NTs will be available in later rounds too. That could be said for any position that wants to be argued. Nix is the Top NT. That's it. He is 1st round talent. Is he the 15th best player in this draft? Not in my opinion. I would grade him 20-25 with a clean medical. If he comes into the combine over 350 pounds & doesn't put up low to mid 30's on bench... he falls outside that.
    correct. i believe it was pro football focus that mentioned SMac wasnt even on the field for most of those long runs