Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    watching caolina's defense today and i got to wonder why we need all these #1s on defense to be successful.

they have kuekly and star last year plus davis from 2005 draft. and they were a top unit.
    their DEs are a mid round and late round pick that can get to the passer. their secondary is a bunch of castoffs and late round picks

kuechly in his 2nd year is an all pro. would he even be on the field yet under DL?

looks like they take these guys and plug and play them cause its not a complicated system like we have in Pitt.
    the number of #1s and high picks in our front 7 more then double that of carlonia's and performed much worse

same goes for the seattle defense (best in the league)

and you can throw in cincy as well (aside from their seconday. got 2 #1s but have brought in a bunch of former #1s). another top unit

time for dick to retire and scrap the 3-4

Did you also notiuce the Panthers play a 4-3 which allows player to step into a more familiar scheme?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Did you also notiuce the Panthers play a 4-3 which allows player to step into a more familiar scheme?
    He said he thinks its time to retire the 3-4...

Legend

User Info Menu

wexall
    Q: After reading Art Rooney's comments about shoring up the run defense, I'm wondering if the team is going to draft a nose tackle. What are your thoughts on that?

AM: The nose tackle thing, I don't get it. I just don't. I don't think football's played the same way in 2014 as it was in 2001. It's just not. I'm not saying you don't need to get better on run defense. Maybe that doesn't have to do with the nose tackle anyway. Maybe it has something to do with the inside linebacker next to (Lawrence) Timmons growing up a little bit and that kind of stuff. But, a nose tackle in the first round, to me, is an incredibly stupid move. I just don't believe the position merits that kind of attention at 15. We're talking about the 15th player off the board. A nose tackle?

Legend

User Info Menu

absolutely

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    wexall
    Q: After reading Art Rooney's comments about shoring up the run defense, I'm wondering if the team is going to draft a nose tackle. What are your thoughts on that?

AM: The nose tackle thing, I don't get it. I just don't. I don't think football's played the same way in 2014 as it was in 2001. It's just not. I'm not saying you don't need to get better on run defense. Maybe that doesn't have to do with the nose tackle anyway. Maybe it has something to do with the inside linebacker next to (Lawrence) Timmons growing up a little bit and that kind of stuff. But, a nose tackle in the first round, to me, is an incredibly stupid move. I just don't believe the position merits that kind of attention at 15. We're talking about the 15th player off the board. A nose tackle?

Yes. A Nose Tackle with the 15th pick in the draft would be "incredibly stupid." Using that pick to get a player who may be great at stopping the run but limited in getting to the most importnat player on the other team, the QB, would be insane. I'd be happier with us taking another OLB since we are so thin at LB. The NFL has changed but unfortunatley our Def Coord won't or can't.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-16-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes. A Nose Tackle with the 15th pick in the draft would be "incredibly stupid." Using that pick to get a player who may be great at stopping the run but limited in getting to the most importnat player on the other team, the QB, would be insane. I'd be happier with us taking another OLB since we are so thin at LB. The NFL has changed but unfortunatley our Def Coord won't or can't.
    I don't know why you keep saying that. I see our defense play differently all the time (i.e. Troy at linebacker or only 1 down lineman) and I'm not the most observant person. Just ask my wife.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't know why you keep saying that. I see our defense play differently all the time (i.e. Troy at linebacker or only 1 down lineman) and I'm not the most observant person. Just ask my wife.

Yes, Troy at LB which led to us giving up I think the most plays over 50 yards in the NFL. How'd that work out?

Legend

User Info Menu

They lost to a 3-4 team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The NFL has changed so much that we've only seen teams with great QB's lean on the run game this season. I mean, maybe it would have been more like 2001 if the *'s had scored 8 rushing td's rather than just 6 last week.

Legend

User Info Menu

Top 10 scoring defenses in 2013 (with scheme):

1) Seattle: 4-3
    2) Carolina: 4-3
    3) SF: 3-4
    4) NO: 3-4
    5) CIN: 4-3
    6) ARI: 3-4
    7) KC: 3-4
    8 ) MIA: 4-3
    9) NE: 4-3
    10) SD: 3-4

Apparently the NFL didn't notify half the top scoring defenses that the NFL has changed and they should be playing a 4-3....