Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 1.8.14

John: I saw your blog post yesterday and agree with you about a nose tackle. However are the really going to go after a Casey Hampton type of player in the first round when they like most teams go nickel or dime at least half the plays? Seems to me that would want a more athletic Hampton right?

Gerry Dulac: I don't think they will go after a nose tackle on the first round, nor should they. They have used enough No. 1 picks on linemen, both offense and defense, and in today's NFL the nose tackle comes off the field a lot because of so many nickel and dime packages. Plus, it's time to get a tall wide receiver to help out Ben Roethlisberger. But they know they have to do something about getting the type of play they seek from a nose tackle and improving their run defense. That was the biggest reason for their decline in that area.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/08/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-1-8-14/stories/2014010801310000000#ixzz2pq3TeDQL[/URL]
    Ben needs help is he number 1 priority when he is coming off a season throwing for 28 TD's, over 4200 yards, and a completion percentage of 64.2?

That sounds like it came from a writer and not one who knows much about the game.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think he is right. When 113 catches for 1,342 yards & 16 TDs will be free agents and the other 58 catches for 593 yards & 1 TD will be 32....You need talent & youth at WR & TE this draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I think he is right. When 113 catches for 1,342 yards & 16 TDs will be free agents and the other 58 catches for 593 yards & 1 TD will be 32....You need talent & youth at WR & TE this draft.
    I agree... but I think the WR position is so deep that we could get great value in the 2nd round all the way down to the 5th or 6th.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Are there any top rated TE's for round 1?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Are there any top rated TE's for round 1?
    Eric Ebron*, TE, North Carolina

Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
    Projected Round (2014): 1.

12/21/13: Ebron has been phenomenal in 2013. He has produced long touchdowns and has killed teams down the middle of the field. Ebron is very fast with mismatch speed to get open. In 2013, Ebron has 55 receptions for 895 yards and three touchdowns. His blocking is much improved.

For the NFL, Ebron looks like a real mismatch weapon. He is too fast for linebackers and many safeties while also being too big for defensive backs. He can make acrobatic catches in the deep middle of the field and has the speed to kill defenses down the middle seam. Ebron is a versatile athlete that can line up in a variety of places. As a pro he can be used as a typical tight end, H-back and line up as a slot receiver. He looks like a potential impact tight end in the NFL.

8/3/13: Ebron has a great skill set with size, speed and strength. He has the potential to be a starting tight end in the NFL with three-down ability.

Ebron was the Tar Heels' second leading receiver in 2012, making 40 catches for 625 yards and four touchdowns. He was a dangerous receiver for Bryn Renner.

North Carolina was thin at defensive end last year, so Ebron played some defensive end along with being a tight end. All he pretty much did was try speed rushes to get disruption upfield, but it was impressive that he was able to apply some pass pressures.

Ebron is very fast running through the secondary and is excellent attacking the middle of the field on slants and seam routes. He operates well as a slot receiver, too. Ebron needs to work on his hands and route-running, but he has great potential.

Additionally, Ebron flashes some impressive blocking potential. There are times when he rocks defenders and gets them on roller skates. There are other times where Ebron misses or doesn't finish blocks. He needs to improve his ability to sustain his blocks. Ebron just needs to get more consistent.

Personal: Majoring in communications. Son of Eric Ebron, Sr. and Gina Jackson.

Jace Amaro*, TE, Texas Tech

Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
    Projected Round (2014): 1.

12/21/13: Amaro has been awesome for the Red Raiders in 2013. The junior has 98 receptions for 1,240 yards with seven touchdowns this year. He had huge days against a number of Big XII teams, including Iowa State (9-143), West Virginia (9-136), Oklahoma (8-119) and Oklahoma State (15-174).

Amaro is very fast and is a good route-runner. He is deadly at burning defenses down the middle of the field. Amaro is way too fast for linebackers and too big for safeties to cover effectively. He also has excellent body control with generally reliable hands.

About midway through the season, Amaro tweeted that he was going to return to Texas Tech for his senior year, but WalterFootball.com has heard recently that Amaro is likely declaring for the 2014 NFL Draft. That isn't surprising because Amaro has been dominant this year and probably can't improve his draft stock by returning to Texas Tech.

8/3/13: Amaro is a sleeper tight end who could rise in what should be a high-powered offense going against a conference comprised of weak defenses. The sophomore was one his way to a huge season last year, racking up almost 400 yards receiving through the first six games. In a blow out of West Virginia, Amaro was having a massive game with five receptions for 156 yards and a touchdowns. Unfortunately, he injured his spleen in that contest and missed six games.

Amaro ended up catching a total of 25 passes last season for 409 yards with four touchdowns. He caught seven passes for 57 yards and two scores in 2011. Amaro has an off-the-field red flag stemming from an arrest in the spring of 2012.

Personal: Son of Rosemary and Robert Amaro.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE, Washington

Height: 6-6. Weight: 266.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
    Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

12/21/13: Seferian-Jenkins has 41 receptions for 538 yards and six touchdowns in 2013. He played well against Stanford and UCLA, but did have a fumble against the Bruins. The Washington offense seems to have put him on the back burner as it is led by Bishop Sankey, while Keith Price has favored throwing to other receivers. Seferian-Jenkins showed some improvement as a blocker and was a contributor to Sankey's big season on the ground.

8/3/13: Seferian-Jenkins turned in a stellar freshman season and continued that trend with a superb 2012 campaign. The sophomore caught 69 passes for 852 yards and seven touchdowns in 2012. Once again, defenses really struggled to matchup against him. He hurt his draft stock in spring 2013 with a DUI arrest.

Seferian-Jenkins was in the running as the best tight end in college football as a freshman in 2011. He was an absolute force as a receiver and a blocker. Seferian-Jenkins already has an NFL body with the speed to be a top tight end at the next level. As a prospect, he looks like he could develop into a tight end on a par with Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham.

Seferian-Jenkins totaled 41 receptions for 538 yards and six touchdowns in 2011. He should produce more in 2013 with quarterback Keith Price maturing. Seferian-Jenkins is a special athlete who also played basketball for Washington. He has a rare combination of size, speed and athleticism. Assuming Seferian-Jenkins maintains his level of play, he will be the top tight end prospect to enter the NFL since the super 2010 crop of Gronkowski, Graham and Aaron Hernandez.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014TE.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree... but I think the WR position is so deep that we could get great value in the 2nd round all the way down to the 5th or 6th.
    Yup...an that is just another reason why WR isn't this teams #1 priority. This draft will bring Pro Bowlers to the league in round 2.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

If you're looking for the second coming of Casey Hampton, just find some big fat sack of potatoes that takes up a bunch of space in the middle of the field. Shouldn't be all that difficult to find one of those guys in the later rounds.

Of course, I'm kidding......(but not totally).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ben needs help is he number 1 priority when he is coming off a season throwing for 28 TD's, over 4200 yards, and a completion percentage of 64.2?

That sounds like it came from a writer and not one who knows much about the game.
    Yup. We have a top-flight #1 (AB) we have a good #3 (Cotchery), probably, and we have a #4 who has the potential to become a #2 by next season. Add to it that we have Heath, another year removed from ACL surgery, and a RB (Le'veon) with very good WR skills... and while we can always make room for another guy, we certainly have more pressing needs elsewhere.

Our biggest needs are: a Defensive Back, and dynamism in our front 7 (no one moves the needle). We also, cannot whiff on that pick (it needs to be a safe pick). IMO, that leaves out the DBs (none are sure-fire stars), and leaves the BPA (among defensive front 7 players).

IMO, that is going to be Jernigan or possibly one of the OLBs in the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jernigan at 15 is a reach and he doesnt fit our scheme. I know he is fresh in the mind due to the BCS game but he is probably an early second rounder.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If he's a reach at 15, then I don't know anything about the NFL draft

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Jernigan at 15 is a reach and he doesnt fit our scheme. I know he is fresh in the mind due to the BCS game but he is probably an early second rounder.
    He is a top-10 pick if I've ever seen one! He will probably drop out of the top 10 because of the position he plays, but he won't make it past 20. You put this kid next to Hayward, and you'll turn whoever we have at the other end into a star. And then, imagine how good our LBs will look, with the DL hogging all the blocks. And then, imagine what our DBs could do, in more obvious passing situations (playing tendencies), etc. We would be back in a hurry!