Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Legend

User Info Menu

National Football Post
    Jan 8, 2014

Louis Nix – Nose Tackle

Nix is a fourth-year junior and a three-year starter on the defensive line. He graduated in December, and with that, decided he was done with college football.

Nix red-shirted as a freshman. He was overweight and not in good enough shape to be a factor. That year did him well, as he matured and learned what it takes to be a top college football player. As a red shirt freshman in 2011, he started at nose tackle and has held that position since. In the 2012 National Championship game, he injured his knee, but rather than go through surgery, he just rehabbed and prepared for the 2013 season. This year, he played with pain in the knee, and finally, after the Pitt game, he underwent surgery to have a torn meniscus repaired and missed the last three games of the season.

Nix has a prototypical nose tackle body. He has good height at about 6020 and played this year at close to 350 pounds. He is a wide body with good arm length. Nix is a very good athlete for a man his size. He is light on his feet and shows a good short area burst. He won’t set any records in the 40 but his 10 time will match many guys 30 and 40 pounds less in weight. I would estimate he will run the 40 in about 5.35. Nix has very good initial quickness, often being the first man off the ball. While he had a tendency to play tall in 2012, that wasn’t the case in 2013. He comes off the ball low and is very explosive. He has quick hands and does a good job not letting offensive blockers control him. He plays with bend and anchors. As a nose, he consistently has to take on two blockers, yet he never gets knocked off the line of scrimmage. When going against a single blocker, he can shed quickly, get penetration, and be quite disruptive. Nose tackles are asked to occupy blockers and don’t usually make a lot of plays. That is not the case with Nix. With his quickness, strength, and power, he gets a lot of tackles. While he doesn’t have great speed, he still plays with a high level of competitiveness and does an excellent job in pursuit.

Most nose tackles aren’t very good pass rushers. Nix, again, is the exception. He can collapse the pocket as a bull rusher and has some counter moves to redirect. While he might not get many sacks, he does get pressures and also does a good job getting his hands up to knock down passes.

Overall, Nix's best fit is as a 3-4 NT. He should be able to come in and start as a rookie for most clubs. Because of his athleticism, it’s not out of the question for some 4-3 teams to be interested. He can easily play a one-tech in those schemes.

Since declaring for the draft, Nix has been working out, preparing for the Combine and is reportedly down to around 330. I can easily see him being the first nose tackle drafted this year and will probably go somewhere in the middle of the first round.

[URL]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Louis-Nix-and-Stephon-Tuitt.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is a deep WR class in the 2-4 range...But same can be said about the CB class. Difference between the two is the Top of the WR class is better than the CB class. CB is a need as well as WR. Watkins, Benjamin, & Evans may grade out higher than any CB or Nix. You don't draft CB if you feel that need is bigger if Watkins, Benjamin, & Evans grade higher & are on the board.

Legend

User Info Menu

With Rooney stating what he stated about the D, does anyone continue to believe the Steelers will go with O in the first. If Rooney has any pull, which I assume he does...the Steelers go with D. IMO, its Nix, Mosley, or Dennard unless a freak falls.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That statement doesn't deter my line of thinking. Every year we all think the Steelers will draft Need in 1st & end up taking BPA...Leaving many scratching their heads. It seems the Steelers stick to the BPA in 1st philosophy & tend to draft need in the 2nd. Some could argue some reaches in the 2nd because of that. Someone falls every year in the 1st & the Steelers stick to their board. They had to erase Hightower's name off the card when DeCastro fell to them & his name was written in Sharpie after Bama's proday because of need.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    That statement doesn't deter my line of thinking. Every year we all think the Steelers will draft Need in 1st & end up taking BPA...Leaving many scratching their heads. It seems the Steelers stick to the BPA in 1st philosophy & tend to draft need in the 2nd. Some could argue some reaches in the 2nd because of that. Someone falls every year in the 1st & the Steelers stick to their board. They had to erase Hightower's name off the card when DeCastro fell to them & his name was written in Sharpie after Bama's proday because of need.
    I have actually never advocated the Steelers drafting merely for need. IMO, the Steelers go with some formula for BPA and needs. They are not going to draft a QB, even if a freak falls...unless they plan to trade him. They will not draft a C, even if that is BPA. So, there are positions where the Steelers will not consider a draft pick seriously.

With that said, the only way they go O in the first is for a franchise LT, or a guy they assess as a true day 1 game changer such as Watkins. I see zero way though unless Watkins falls that the Steelers invest a first round draft pick in a #2 WR. I would however suggest TE is on the table with Heath Miller aging.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I have actually never advocated the Steelers drafting merely for need. IMO, the Steelers go with some formula for BPA and needs. They are not going to draft a QB, even if a freak falls...unless they plan to trade him. They will not draft a C, even if that is BPA. So, there are positions where the Steelers will not consider a draft pick seriously.

With that said, the only way they go O in the first is for a franchise LT, or a guy they assess as a true day 1 game changer such as Watkins. I see zero way though unless Watkins falls that the Steelers invest a first round draft pick in a #2 WR. I would however suggest TE is on the table with Heath Miller aging.
    I agree on everything except the TE. I think we still have another year or 2 before we address the TE position. We have glaring needs on D and unless a stud is available at LT we will use FA or stick with Beachum in that role and hope Adams or Gilbert pan out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree on everything except the TE. I think we still have another year or 2 before we address the TE position. We have glaring needs on D and unless a stud is available at LT we will use FA or stick with Beachum in that role and hope Adams or Gilbert pan out.
    I think you are right, however if they assess a guy like Ebron as some sort of real deal replacement for Miller...and he is BPA...I think TE is a possibility. It really depends on how they see this years TE class. If they fall in love with one of the TEs, I don't believe need will stop them from drafting at the TE position.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    if ILB was such a need then it must still be a huge need now because Larry Foote has only gotten older and all we've done is draft a 6th rounder in Vince Williams since that time.

ILB CJ Mosley would have to get serious consideration if he's still available when we draft at #15...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if ILB was such a need then it must still be a huge need now because Larry Foote has only gotten older and all we've done is draft a 6th rounder in Vince Williams since that time.

ILB CJ Mosley would have to get serious consideration if he's still available when we draft at #15...
    It was a need & they thought it was addressed later in the draft with Spence. Mosley could be a possibility because he is graded in the Top 20 imo.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

That was a given. Colbert has expressed in the past drafts players "not" on their board. They have said TE & QB. I agree...The only OL I would draft in the 1st would be Robinson if he fell. No QB or RB. WR & TE are both on the board. Defensively....I would say anything is possible except DE. If they retain Worilds..I would add OLB to that list. Now...As it relates to #15...I would say ILB & CB are possibilities. I don't have Nix that high with the other talent there. So if I am staying true to the board on a BPA...It will be ILB & CB at #15.