Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes. A Nose Tackle with the 15th pick in the draft would be "incredibly stupid." Using that pick to get a player who may be great at stopping the run but limited in getting to the most importnat player on the other team, the QB, would be insane. I'd be happier with us taking another OLB since we are so thin at LB. The NFL has changed but unfortunatley our Def Coord won't or can't.
    People who are saying that are discounting what Nix is... Haloti Ngata was drafted around the same area (#10-15). So was Lotulelei. Raji was drafted even higher, and while he hasn't exactly panned out, it shows how valuable a powerful, quick guy in the middle is worth. People saying "they wouldn't waste #15 on a NT", are selling Nix short in his ability. He's not just some big fat guy like Mt. Cody.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    People who are saying that are discounting what Nix is... Haloti Ngata was drafted around the same area (#10-15). So was Lotulelei. Raji was drafted even higher, and while he hasn't exactly panned out, it shows how valuable a powerful, quick guy in the middle is worth. People saying "they wouldn't waste #15 on a NT", are selling Nix short in his ability. He's not just some big fat guy like Mt. Cody.
    But IIRC in three years he has 2 sacks. That doesn't indicate to me that he helps fix our most desperate need on defense and that is the ability to get to the QB. That problem becomes even greater if we don't retain Worilds. While I don't deny that Nix may be powerful and quick, he hasn't shown a penchant for getting to the QB which is a skill unto itself.

IMO I would rather take his teammate Stephon Tuittt who I think will be a more impressive NFL player.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    But IIRC in three years he has 2 sacks. That doesn't indicate to me that he helps fix our most desperate need on defense and that is the ability to get to the QB. That problem becomes even greater if we don't retain Worilds. While I don't deny that Nix may be powerful and quick, he hasn't shown a penchant for getting to the QB which is a skill unto itself.

IMO I would rather take his teammate Stephon Tuittt who I think will be a more impressive NFL player.
    It's not about Nix getting to the QB. Hampton had 12 sacks for his whole career.... an effective NT makes it easier for JJ, Worilds, Timmons, Foote, etc to get to the QB.

If you're just looking for a 2-gap tackle who will take up space, I don't know that you need to spend a first-round pick on him. You should be able to find that player in later rounds (put him on the "see food" diet and teach him the position).

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    If you're just looking for a 2-gap tackle who will take up space, I don't know that you need to spend a first-round pick on him. You should be able to find that player in later rounds (put him on the "see food" diet and teach him the position).
    I'm with that line of thinking. I found my "grunt" & hope the Steelers are looking at him too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hall of Famer
    Well lets make sure we are Apples for Apples. NGata is a NT & stays on the field in sub much like Dontari Poe. Nix isn't either of them. Lotulelei is a 4-3 DT who sees time in sub rotation. Raji is a 3-4 DE who see time in sub too. Cody backs up Ngata.

Defensive snaps in 2013:
    Poe NT 88%
    Ngata NT 65%

Lotulelei DT 59%
    Raji DE 58%
    C Thomas NT 48%
    Solila DT/NT 46%
    Pickett NT 46%
    McClendon & Woods NT (Combined) 53%

Snap counts low for the "other" typical NTs. In 34 games, Nix has 2.5 sacks & 5 hurries. That doesn't jump off the page as a pass rusher. In consideration for what role he would have...Who comes off the field instead of Nix? 2 DL in sub...Heyward is not coming off the field. Keisel/Hood was the other. If Hood does come back...He will slide inside with Heyward. Will he get snaps in rotation in sub? I would say he would...He can give you a couple plays in pass rush but those subs happen less & less because of the speed of the game.

The Nix debate has become pretty intense. I will say with certainty that Nix would upgrade the NT spot on the Steelers...I have no doubts. Just simply based on how much he will be on the field...I devalue him at #15. Would I draft him in the 1st in the 20's? Absolutely. You give me Nix & a 3rd...I'm happy with that value. There will be many players available @ #15 who will be graded higher imo. It could be a matter of timing too. I'll just use "names" to show my example. It would be great to see this secondary but you will understand the thought process. For 2014, if you give me a Jairus Byrd/Kendrick Lewis & Troy at safeties...With a Rodgers-Cromartie/Verner & C Allen at CB...I would feel differently about Nix at #15. Because that base package can stay on the field if the offense shows me 12 personnel. That base could play Cover 1 or Cover 0. My defense isn't impacted by personnel groups based on down & distance on 1&2 unless I see 3 WRS. Now the offense will see that front & know it will be difficult to run against it & try & pass. It will have to come out quick because if the D goes Cover 0 behind a run blitz...It better be a 3 step drop. That's why I say "matter of timing". The secondary needs to get fixed first. Drafting Nix doesn't fix the biggest problem. It fixes "a problem" but without other pieces in place...Offenses will still dictate the packages because of the weakness. The BIGGER problem to all of this is it can't get fixed through the draft for 2014. That is a long shot to rely on rookies to turn it around in this defense. So if the Steelers step out of their comfort zone & sign some defensive FA to help expedite the process...Taking Nix in the 1st would become more appealing. Still wouldn't think it is necessary to take him at #15...But I would agree more with the direction.

Legend
    I'm all in on your point of view!
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    JPN--you hit the nail on the head when you said

Drafting Nix doesn't fix the biggest problem. It fixes "a problem" but without other pieces in place...Offenses will still dictate the packages because of the weakness.
    As you do an outstanding job describing he doesn't solve the biggest problem. If what so many want is a "run stuffer" you can get that later in the draft. Pick #15 is pretty high for us and you need to get someone who will make a significant impact on either defense or offense.

Legend
    yeah.. that hasn't worked out so well.

I find it odd that so many people scream about how the DL 3-4 scheme works if you have talent and then people turn around and say they can find a player in later rounds and teach him how to play the most important position in a 3-4.

It all starts with the NT in a 3-4. It's like going out and signing a Mahan to play Center.... no, if you have a chance to get a C in the first who can be your starter for the next 10 years (unless his own G jumps on his leg) you have to take him.

I'm not saying Nix is THAT guy but if we think he is we need to take him.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-17-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Legend
    JPN--you hit the nail on the head when you said

As you do an outstanding job describing he doesn't solve the biggest problem. If what so many want is a "run stuffer" you can get that later in the draft. Pick #15 is pretty high for us and you need to get someone who will make a significant impact on either defense or offense.
    NT is a significant role in our D. I know you feel otherwise but you can't fix a struggling front 7 without a dominant NT. Doesn't matter how many LB's you pick.. with out a legit NT you won't see them have an impact.