Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    can nix rush the passer?

not sure what a run stuffing only NT does for this D. teams will just spread us out and pass on us. like they've been doing over the years.

like the whole league is starting to do in every game.
    You see it exactly the way I do. When teams spread us out, would Nix even be on the field? That's not what we have seen out of the NT in the past.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You see it exactly the way I do. When teams spread us out, would Nix even be on the field? That's not what we have seen out of the NT in the past.
    I would keep him on the field.

We would benefit from a push up the middle by 1 defender.

It's hard to have a quick throw when you drop 8 and still get decent pressure up the middle.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    yes, Nix can rush the passer very well.

but as long as LeBeau remains our DC, the NT's primary responsibility is gap control and occupying blockers...not rushing the passer.
    Nothing in the following tells me he can make a difference rushing the passer after having 2 sacks in three years. Plus his recent knee problems aren't something I would be willing to take a chance on for a player who is going to get beat on by a couple 300lb offensive linemen every play.

After not playing as a freshman in 2010, Nix started 11 games as a sophomore in 2011, recording 45 tackles.

In 2012, Nix started 11 out of 13 games, recording 50 tackles, including seven and a half for a loss, and two sacks. On December 17, 2012, Nix announced he would return to Notre Dame for his senior season.

In 2013, Nix started the first 7 games of the season, before sitting out games against Air Force and Navy as he was dealing with knee tendinitis. He returned the following week in a game against Pittsburgh. On November 21, 2013, after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee, it was announced he would miss the remainder of the season including the bowl game. He finished his senior season with 27 tackles, including two for loss.
    If we want to improve the pass rush, we need to be looking at someone like Trent Murphy out of Stanford. IMO that would make more sense than Nix because Woodley will likely be gone and Worilds may be too. Who the heck is going to rush the passer on this defense???? It won't be Nix at NT playing LeBeau's style.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Snack had 9 sacks in his career... it isnt about sacks its about pushing the pocket and forcing QBs to throw off their back foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Nothing in the following tells me he can make a difference rushing the passer after having 2 sacks in three years. Plus his recent knee problems aren't something I would be willing to take a chance on for a player who is going to get beat on by a couple 300lb offensive linemen every play.

If we want to improve the pass rush, we need to be looking at someone like Trent Murphy out of Stanford. IMO that would make more sense than Nix because Woodley will likely be gone and Worilds may be too. Who the heck is going to rush the passer on this defense???? It won't be Nix at NT playing LeBeau's style.
    Knee problems? You mean having a routine scope to clean up some meniscus damage?

Nix is strong enough to be a 2 gap NT but also quick enough to rush the passer...that is why he is a 1st round prospect...

There are other NTs, like Tennessee's Daniel McCullers, who would be a fine 2 gap NT but doesn't have the same quickness...he is a 3rd-4th round prospect....

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Snack had 9 sacks in his career... it isnt about sacks its about pushing the pocket and forcing QBs to throw off their back foot.
    I really don't remember Casey pushing the pocket consistently in his career. Sure, it happened every now and then but normally it was Smith and The Diesel who pushed the pocket.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Nix is strong enough to be a 2 gap NT but also quick enough to rush the passer...that is why he is a 1st round prospect...

There are other NTs, like Tennessee's Daniel McCullers, who would be a fine 2 gap NT but doesn't have the same quickness...he is a 3rd-4th round prospect....
    Sorry Slappy. I'm not buying the "rush the passer" part of Nix's resume. All I see is 2 sacks in three years.

If we want a pass rusher we need to be looking at someone like Trent Murphy from Stanford who would be a beast in our system.

I think the 3rd or 4th Round is where we should be looking for a Nose Tackle and I would like McCullers there or Daquan Jones from Penn State.

I don't know enough about Nix to have an informed opinion, but as far as the need goes, I think I would definitely give the nod to the nose. There is no player on the roster who is capable of consistently occupying 2 blockers and providing any kind of push up the middle. You can make a case for ILB, FS, corner, TE, or LT; if we lose Worlids, you could even look at OLB (again). I just think we have the talent or a decent possibility of developing talent at those positions, to be a more sound football team...as long as we can plug the hole in the middle. Literally.

I'm no fan of burning 3 recent number 1 picks along the defensive front (especially in light of the Ziggy Hood failure), but if there is a guy there at 15, who the coaches feel can consistently eat-up 2 blockers and apply pressure to the pocket, then I say that is the guy to get. It would seem that the NT position would also have a distinct advantage in seeing the field early. There are only so many stunts or twists where you would move your NT out of the A gaps or shade him to either side...not much of a learning curve.

While on the subject of the line...here's to hoping we bring the Beard back for one more season. We need to let Hood find greener pastures and we need someone to man the fort for at least another year. I like Woods, McClendon, and even Arnfelt rotating in at DE, but I'm not sure if any of them are ready to step in there and be an effective starter. I would feel more comfortable having Keisel's ability, motor, and leadership as the rest of those guys develop and battle.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I don't know enough about Nix to have an informed opinion, but as far as the need goes, I think I would definitely give the nod to the nose. There is no player on the roster who is capable of consistently occupying 2 blockers and providing any kind of push up the middle. You can make a case for ILB, FS, corner, TE, or LT; if we lose Worlids, you could even look at OLB (again). I just think we have the talent or a decent possibility of developing talent at those positions, to be a more sound football team...as long as we can plug the hole in the middle. Literally.

I'm no fan of burning 3 recent number 1 picks along the defensive front (especially in light of the Ziggy Hood failure), but if there is a guy there at 15, who the coaches feel can consistently eat-up 2 blockers and apply pressure to the pocket, then I say that is the guy to get. It would seem that the NT position would also have a distinct advantage in seeing the field early. There are only so many stunts or twists where you would move your NT out of the A gaps or shade him to either side...not much of a learning curve.

While on the subject of the line...here's to hoping we bring the Beard back for one more season. We need to let Hood find greener pastures and we need someone to man the fort for at least another year. I like Woods, McClendon, and even Arnfelt rotating in at DE, but I'm not sure if any of them are ready to step in there and be an effective starter. I would feel more comfortable having Keisel's ability, motor, and leadership as the rest of those guys develop and battle.
    Yea, I'm with you on Keisel, however, I think Hood will be re-signed at a reasonable salary, I think the fans are the only ones giving up on him.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll