Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Dub, I haven't seen much of Nix's play this year but I did catch some of the ND bowl game where the announcer (I don't remember who that was) was talking about ND's pro prospects and when Nix came up he said he didn't live up to expectations this year. That he played better last year. Has anyone else thought that?
    Yep. He was elevated by the hype Notre Dame had last year (just like Manti T'eo) and he was very average this year in the three ND games I saw. His linemate Tuitt was far more imprerssive and will be a better Pro.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dub, I haven't seen much of Nix's play this year but I did catch some of the ND bowl game where the announcer (I don't remember who that was) was talking about ND's pro prospects and when Nix came up he said he didn't live up to expectations this year. That he played better last year. Has anyone else thought that?
    Nix battled injuries this year. It will slow down any player.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

The ND defense was better as a whole last year. They also lost Teo and he was their QB on D...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yep. He was elevated by the hype Notre Dame had last year (just like Manti T'eo) and he was very average this year in the three ND games I saw. His linemate Tuitt was far more imprerssive and will be a better Pro.
    Again, watch the tape I posted for Nix versus Alabama last year and tell me he isnt impressive. You will never once see him blocked one on one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That wasn't hype my friend... and I'm an ND hater of the highest caliber but that D last year was stout against the run (expect against PITT) until the Alabama game. Looking back you also saw T'eo in position to make plays in the hole but he didn't have the strength to bring down Lacy.

Nix is a good NT whether you want to admit it or not. I also like Tuitt.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You certainly cant defend the quick pass by playing your DBs 10 yards off the ball. That's the Steeler MO. You defend the quick pass by not allowing them to get in situations to throw the quick pass. A quality NT helps prevent 3rd and shorts.
    I tend to agree just a tad. Some times this defense needs more man. But 10yds does save CB's like Gay and others. Other teams use it also. I also think with what seems to me a bunch of the pick plays 10yd off can help. Also I see way more quick passing on 1 and 2nd down used like a running play it is not just 3 and short that you have to worry about quick short passes. Will a STUD NT help I am not sure how much of an upgrade over what we have that will be? Now say a very special NT that can play 3 downs an anchor like Hamp on running plays but really push the pocket on passing play would be very nice to have. But is there a NT in this draft like that? Is that what made Hamp so good? Does it just take some smarts to read the plays better? Are the Steelers NT's now just not reading the plays as well as Hamp and Hoke did? I just think in todays NFL you better have 2 maybe 3 really good cover corners or you will get picked apart. There are some really good QB's and WR's! Look at what BB and JC did this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

By the way, I personally do not believe Nix will be there at 15.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    By the way, I personally do not believe Nix will be there at 15.
    Dee Dub, which of the teams below do you view as needing a NT and would consider taking Nix? I have a feeling he'll be there at 1.15.

1. Texans
    2. Rams (via Redskins)
    3. Jaguars
    4. Browns
    5. Raiders
    6. Falcons
    7. Buccaneers
    8. Vikings
    9. Bills
    10. Lions
    11. Titans
    12. Giants
    13. Rams
    14. Bears

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Dee Dub, which of the teams below do you view as needing a NT and would consider taking Nix? I have a feeling he'll be there at 1.15.

1. Texans
    2. Rams (via Redskins)
    3. Jaguars
    4. Browns
    5. Raiders
    6. Falcons
    7. Buccaneers
    8. Vikings
    9. Bills
    10. Lions
    11. Titans
    12. Giants
    13. Rams
    14. Bears

Pappy
    Who knows? My guess though is this wont actually be the teams drafting in these exact spots. There will be trades. Happens every year. And by the way, Nix can play at DT in a 4-3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I tend to agree just a tad. Some times this defense needs more man. But 10yds does save CB's like Gay and others. Other teams use it also. I also think with what seems to me a bunch of the pick plays 10yd off can help. Also I see way more quick passing on 1 and 2nd down used like a running play it is not just 3 and short that you have to worry about quick short passes. Will a STUD NT help I am not sure how much of an upgrade over what we have that will be? Now say a very special NT that can play 3 downs an anchor like Hamp on running plays but really push the pocket on passing play would be very nice to have. But is there a NT in this draft like that? Is that what made Hamp so good? Does it just take some smarts to read the plays better? Are the Steelers NT's now just not reading the plays as well as Hamp and Hoke did? I just think in todays NFL you better have 2 maybe 3 really good cover corners or you will get picked apart. There are some really good QB's and WR's! Look at what BB and JC did this season.
    The chances of getting 2 or 3 cover CB's on the same team in the same draft is .25%... the chances of 1 cover corner breaking our starting lineup and having an impact is .025%. The chances of that cover CB learning the playbook and looking like he did predraft on film is .0025%

However, the chances of an NT like Nix getting on the field on day 1 and having a direct impact on how good our DB's look by pushing the pocket back are probably in the 50% to 75% range.

Can you name one DB on the Panthers team? They were 8-3 and there were discussions of starting 2 rookies... I repeat....2 FREAKING ROOKIES at CB.
    When you have a dominant front 7 your secondary looks and plays much better.