Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 280

Thread: Louis Nix III

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I understand exactly where you're coming from with that .. just providing another view of McClendon's "performance" this year ... Personally, I think he'd be a better fit at DE ... Keep Arnfeldt (sp) as a backup and future starter .. Which then brings us back to needing a NT ... do you go with Woods and "HOPE" he's good enough? Do you "HOPE" Nix is as good as some think he is ... do you stay status quo and draft an ILB? Heck, I don't know ... that's why Tomlin and Colbert are being paid the big $$$ ..
    I also think McClendon would be better suited as a DE or as a backup NT. Whether at DE or NT, I'm not sure that he's a starter. He seemed better suited to a backup role with limited snaps.

    I agree that you have to do something with NT, but I'm not sure what. I think the ideal player is somebody who is more stout against the run and able to command a double team, but also able to provide a pass rush, or at least an inside push. Who that guy is, or where you find him, I'm not sure.

    It's a shame that Ta'amu is no longer in the mix. He started some games for AZ, and has ideal size and power.

  2. #12
    taamu was a beast for the cards, but tore his ACL in the san fran game. I wish we had stuck with him for another year.

    I don't want NT at 15

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    taamu was a beast for the cards, but tore his ACL in the san fran game. I wish we had stuck with him for another year.

    I don't want NT at 15
    would you take NGATA at #15?? I would.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  4. #14
    Nix isnt Ngata

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Nix isnt Ngata
    You said "a NT"
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Shawn, one of the things that makes you such a good poster here (in my opinion), is your ability to adjust on the fly. You are open minded and always willing to see things differently. I agree with you on Nix. I would be totally ok if he was the pick. I think he would become the leagues best 3-4 NT. And he would make the Steelers better. Forget the two down player stuff. He would allow the Steelers to be in many favorable 3rd downs because of what he brings on those 2 downs he is on the field. His position (NT), would also allow him to be on the field a lot sooner than any other position in 3-4. And the out of shape thing shouldn't be all that of a concern either. Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, or B.J. Raji never were in that great of shape and it never stopped them from being great 3-4 NTs.
    I appreciate you saying that. Outside of the Big Ten, I have to rely on selected highlights and multiple scout analysis. I am not comfortable breaking down Nix. What I will say though, is I can see the value in having a guy who consistently occupies two blockers. We currently do not have a NT on this roster who does this. A NT who occupies 2 blockers in a 3-4 D essentially adds another defender in the box. It's the reason the Steelers were so stout for so many years while Hampton anchored the DL. I also believe it's the biggest reason the Steelers suffered on D this year. I also agree with you about it being a position that can be changed day 1 in the 2014 season for the better. It's not a complex position. I believe Nix would be a day 1 plug and play. I also agree with you about your analysis on the 2 down criticism.

    The reason I was resistant to Nix was my unfamiliarity with him and accepting very superficial reports about his play. It appears I had poor information, and made decisions upon that poor information. The more I see and read about Nix, the more I want him to be a Steeler.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    You said "a NT"
    ok. I don't want nix at 15

    feel better?

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Nix isnt Ngata
    What are you talking about dude? I'd like to know what you see in him, that makes you say he "isn't Ngata". Ngata wasn't Ngata when he got drafted. He was just some Polynesian kid, playing D-line in the Pac-10. By the way, he was picked #12... around where Nix's name will come up.

    Star Lotulelei was no Ngata, when he got drafted last year #14 by CAR. He was just some Tongan straight off his mission (Utah). Raji was no Ngata either, when he was picked #9 by GB. He was just some shlub from the ACC. For completeness, Nick Fairley was taken #13 a couple years back, and Dontari Poe was taken #11.

    This is basically where "Haloti Ngatas" are picked. Do you think the Pittsburgh Steeler defense couldn't use a Haloti Ngata? Do you think he isn't that good for some reason? Because from the recent history I cite above, we would be lucky to see Nix there.

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,757
    I love Nix, but would rather wait until the 2nd to get the Rodgers kid from Pitt.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  10. #20
    notre dame is on TV every week. I don't believe he is that good. Its ok that you feel differently.

    throw in the conditioning talk and injury and the decision becomes even easier for me. If they take him, I won't go ballistic.

    its fine, you like him. No need to get your panties in a twist.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •