Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    [

That was a given. Colbert has expressed in the past drafts players "not" on their board. They have said TE & QB. I agree...The only OL I would draft in the 1st would be Robinson if he fell. No QB or RB. WR & TE are both on the board. Defensively....I would say anything is possible except DE. If they retain Worilds..I would add OLB to that list. Now...As it relates to #15...I would say ILB & CB are possibilities. I don't have Nix that high with the other talent there. So if I am staying true to the board on a BPA...It will be ILB & CB at #15.
    I'm fine with a CB or ILB, if there was a Revis or Kuechly sitting there when we pick. The problem is, we have CJ Mosley (Dont'a Hightower Jr, Rolando McLain Jr, Courtney Upshaw Jr) or Dennardd (injury-prone) or a couple other high risks to choose from. First of all, we have to go defense. And saying that, we need a difference-maker. We don't need another Timmons or Ike; we need a Polamalu or Harrison. A guy with the potential to change the complexion of the D.

To me, that means D-line, even though I agree that our biggest need is in the secondary.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    To me, that means D-line, even though I agree that our biggest need is in the secondary.
    I agree, but the troubling thing about that is the Bears pick directly in front of us. They have as free agents their starting corner, starting safety, a second string corner and second string safety. Not sure of their cap room and if they are able to re-sign them to avoid having a draft need.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't take a CB in the first, doesn't seem to a guy worth that from I read. Same goes for S if you don't like dix(I dont)

if we go DL, I would be very interested in the kid from minnesota, rasheed hageman, at least he wouldn't come off the field for 50% of the snaps like nix might. I've only watched some highlights of him and done quite a bit of reading, but he seems like he could be a special player. May be some bust potential, some of draft guys here know more than me, for sure. Seems like he may realistically be available at 1:15

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I wouldn't take a CB in the first, doesn't seem to a guy worth that from I read. Same goes for S if you don't like dix(I dont)

if we go DL, I would be very interested in the kid from minnesota, rasheed hageman, at least he wouldn't come off the field for 50% of the snaps like nix might. I've only watched some highlights of him and done quite a bit of reading, but he seems like he could be a special player. May be some bust potential, some of draft guys here know more than me, for sure. Seems like he may realistically be available at 1:15
    I think he might be there at 15 but the idea of another DE in the first would be tough to swallow. I don't think he has the @ss to play NT. Depends though on the FO's stance on the Beard and Hood. If both are gone, then he would be a great option.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I think he might be there at 15 but the idea of another DE in the first would be tough to swallow. I don't think he has the @ss to play NT. Depends though on the FO's stance on the Beard and Hood. If both are gone, then he would be a great option.
    I agree about another DE in the first, just seems to be an intriguing player. There are certainly other areas of need.

Legend

User Info Menu

1(15) Pittsburgh Steelers: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

The Steelers could use some young talent for their defensive line. Casey Hampton was let go after many good years in the middle of the Pittsburgh defense. Ziggy Hood is entering free agency and may not be worth re-signing in the long term, while Brett Keisel is 35. If the Steelers draft Nix, Steve McLendon could move to end.

Nix (6-3, 340) was a stud in 2012. He was a disruptive force at the line of scrimmage, and his stats don't illustrate how much he dominated interior offensive linemen. The havoc Nix caused helped Stephon Tuitt and Manti Te'o to make plays. Nix totaled 50 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, five passes batted and one forced fumble for the season.

In 2013, Nix recorded 27 tackles with two tackles for a loss. He played well against Michigan, totaling four tackles and a tackle for a loss, and was very disruptive at the point of attack. Nix started slowly against USC before playing well in the final three quarters. His contribution to the pass rush was greater than the numbers indicate. Nix's season ended early after choosing to undergo knee surgery. He had been playing with a torn meniscus and went to Dr. James Andrews to have the knee fixed.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    interesting stat on the NT snap totals... but I have to wonder if those would change if we had a true NT. What were Hampton's snap totals?
    That is a real good number for comparison Feltdizz...Let me see if could find it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    The Steelers had their NT on the field 375 snaps out of 1,070 and everyone thinks having a True NT would have helped the 21st rank run defense? The Steelers gave up 65% of the rushing yards against nickel & dime. The reason the Steelers were in Nickel & Dime was because the teams forced the Steelers to go to sub with 12 personnel.
    Were the Steelers out of the base so much because of the opponent's personnel, or was it because they realized that the man playing NT was a liability? I am going with what my eyes told me. McLendon got no push at the nose and they pulled him off the field. First, they gave a late round rookie ILB many of his snaps. That is not scheme, that is a benching. Once they saw this was not the answer they spread the snaps out to the little guys. Shark, Gay/Allen, Will Allen all saw the field more. Later on they then worked Woods into the mix. I'd say that was more about McLendon than what the other team was doing. After all, we all know that our DC cannot make adjustments based on what the other team does. It must have been something going on with his own D that caused the changes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I put something together for My Steeler Brothers. Interesting Defensive stats. You can see the "Big Play" is what killed us this year. I personally am more concerned with the 46 (+20) & 12 (+40) big plays in the passing game. I'm not discounting the 5 +40 rushes...But those "chunk plays" in rushing are more on missed tackles & bad ankles with the LBs & DBs. You want to hear something even more sickening? The 5 +40 yard rushing plays (Peterson 60 yds, Forte 55 yds, Pryor 93 yds, Tannehill 48 yds, & D Thomas 55 yds) are the difference between the Steelers rushing defense ranking 21st & 5th. Take away those 5 plays...The Steelers are a Top 5 rushing defense.

The Stat that should be most meaningful is the first column I put up. Scoring! Big Plays = Scoring. When the Steelers are Tops in points allowed....They make the playoffs. (Records & Notes on right).

That last thing I will mention is a trend. Notice how 3,447 yards passing allowed in 2009 was ranked 16th in the NFL but 3,546 yards passing allowed is ranked 9th best in 2013. Evolution. 9th place last 5 years starting '13-'09 (3,546, 3,470, 3,385, 3,352, & 3,316). Doesn't sound like much but over the last 5 years...passing TDs have increased by 94. Passing TDs per year starting '13-'09 (804, 757, 745, 751, & 710).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Were the Steelers out of the base so much because of the opponent's personnel, or was it because they realized that the man playing NT was a liability? I am going with what my eyes told me. McLendon got no push at the nose and they pulled him off the field. First, they gave a late round rookie ILB many of his snaps. That is not scheme, that is a benching. Once they saw this was not the answer they spread the snaps out to the little guys. Shark, Gay/Allen, Will Allen all saw the field more. Later on they then worked Woods into the mix. I'd say that was more about McLendon than what the other team was doing. After all, we all know that our DC cannot make adjustments based on what the other team does. It must have been something going on with his own D that caused the changes.
    Don't believe your eyes without the football behind it. "Were the Steelers out of the base so much because of the opponent's personnel" is exactly what I told you. When the offense gave the Steelers 12 personnel the Steelers had to go to their Big Nickel because the couldn't go cover 0 or cover 1 on the back end to stay in base. That has nothing to do with the NT. The Steelers Big Nickel was 2 DLs, 3 Lbs, & 6 Dbs. Troy would play the Nickel LB. The DL would be Heyward & Hood/Keisel. They are better at rushing the QB. That leaves 6 in the box (2 DL, 3 LBs, & Troy). With a traditional drop back passing QB that is a Red read. Your offense is now + 2 in the box for the run. If you have a running QB...You are + 3 in the box against the run. The Safeties have to set the edge. You want to see the ugly side of that scenario watch the Dolphins game. You want to see the ugly side of the other side of the coin where the Steelers tried to go cover 1 with a single high safety (Troy) against 12 personnel...Watch the Pats game.

That's good you said "McLendon got no push at the nose" because that is not his job as a 3-4 NT in run or pass. He is a 2 gap player. His responsibility is to control the OL & read. Either flow to the play or hold his ground & come off if they run A Gap. If he gets combo blocked...Try & hold up the other OL to keep LB free. If he gets caught on the field in PA...He still has the responsibility of a 2 gapper. He is to collapse the pocket but still control his gaps so the QB can't step up. If the QB steps up & crosses his face...Make the tackle. Everyone has a job. He can't lose gap discipline in pass because the 3-4 OLB job is to set the edge & pressure him forward. The NT job against the pass is to protect his gaps &squeeze the pocket. Many of you on here are ready to discard a player because he isn't sacking the QB or getting TFL. The DL in a 3-4 front have a JOB to do 1st. The STATS should be piled up by the LBs. If they can do their job & fall off and make a tackle...That's a big plus.

Defensive Football is really simple to understand if you want to. Rushing defense is about gap discipline. Everyone has a gap responsibility. There are 8 gaps that need to be controlled. The 3 DL in a 3-4 account for 4 gaps. The object of the 3-4 is to make 5 OL block 3 down lineman. That is accomplished by alignment. The reason why the NT is so important is he has 2 gaps. If he requires a double team or a combo block...That makes it difficult for 2nd level blocker coming off combo playside trying to get to the LB. In most cases in the 3-4 against a sweep, the backside LB is running free because the backside G can't get to him IF he reads the play quickly. If the playside LB gets a little help from the NT by holding up the combo block, he is also running free. The OLB sets the edge & turns it back inside...ILBs make the stop. All 3 DLs control & flow to close off their gaps & come off if they can to make play. If you have an average NT...The struggles will show with runs between the tackles if your ILB can't shed & play through trash. Early on the Steelers were exposed her because of loosing Foote & Williams being forced to take his spot. McClendon did a good job but Williams struggled shedding & coming off blocks in the holes to make tackles. He improved with snaps which was a good sign.

That all being said...That "Base" scenario only logged 35% of the snaps. The bulk of the rushing was coming against Allen & Clark setting the edge (The OLB's job in base) and Troy trying to take on & shed OL & TE/RB on iso blocks in the hole & make tackles. That was just a bad scenario to be in. The Steelers were in it because they feared the matchups of the DBs & LBs against WRs & TEs in giving up big plays...So they went Big Nickel against 12 personnel. By what we saw when they didn't...They were 100% right. It's on tape...It's on paper...The DC have their gamplan. It won't change with Taylor, Allen, Troy, & Clark on the field in '14. It will be the same if Nix is at NT...That won't change it with that back end. Nix won't fix what is broken. Now...get someone opposite Allen at CB and a Safety that could play Cover 1...Combine that with a LB opposite Timmons who could could cover a RB/TE....We could stay in base against personnel groupings. "THEN"...A NIX will be a big part of the defense. Then...The OC won't be dictating our packages because of our weakness.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 01-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.