Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Here is Nix versus another pretty good O-line (Stanford), last year. .59 seconds into this clip you see Nix (in a 4-3), over LG. He drives him all the way back into the QB and causes the QB to throw a pick. At 2:05 of this clip he just flat out blows up a run play. Then at 3:27 of this clip...all I can say is wow!! [URL="http://draftbreakdown.com/video/louis-nix-iii-vs-stanford-2012/"]

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/louis-nix-iii-vs-stanford-2012/[/URL]
    As an ND hater I watch ND a ton to root against them. Nix was a monster in 2012... this was the game where they stopped Stanford on 4 downs at the GL.

Funny how some people screamed Eifert all off season but didn't see that D shutting teams down left and right. Eifert would've been a late 2nd rounder if it wasn't for that D because they forced a ton of short fields and TO's due to the front 7.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    As an ND hater I watch ND a ton to root against them. Nix was a monster in 2012... this was the game where they stopped Stanford on 4 downs at the GL.

Funny how some people screamed Eifert all off season but didn't see that D shutting teams down left and right. Eifert would've been a late 2nd rounder if it wasn't for that D because they forced a ton of short fields and TO's due to the front 7.
    Yeah that goal line stop is in this clip. I agree with you about Nix. He was a monster last year. I think he would have been this year too had it not been for some injuries. To think of him next to Cameron Heyward makes me think of major fits for an opposing O-line.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I understand that it's a small sample size, but I just watched clips from the Michigan and Alabama games, where Nix was isolated on each defensive snap and I wasn't exactly impressed. He primarily lined up in a 1 technique, but did have several snaps in a zero and a few in a 3. I think his success rate in the 3 technique was probably highest. He was pushed back as much as he collapsed the pocket or moved the line of scrimmage.

What I noticed most is that he fired out of his stance very inconsistently. When he did come out fast and low, he usually was highly disruptive. Too many times however, he would just stand up and the center or guard had an easy time controlling him. He did command quite a few double-teams, but regardless, he didn't do a very good job of shedding many blocks and getting his hands on a back when he had the chance. I also noticed an up and down motor in pursuing the play. I know he's a big guy, but there were quite a few plays where there was absolutely no hustle.

Again, it was a small sample size and I do think that NT is a huge priority. Hopefully we get someone early who can anchor our defense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I understand that it's a small sample size, but I just watched clips from the Michigan and Alabama games, where Nix was isolated on each defensive snap and I wasn't exactly impressed. He primarily lined up in a 1 technique, but did have several snaps in a zero and a few in a 3. I think his success rate in the 3 technique was probably highest. He was pushed back as much as he collapsed the pocket or moved the line of scrimmage.

What I noticed most is that he fired out of his stance very inconsistently. When he did come out fast and low, he usually was highly disruptive. Too many times however, he would just stand up and the center or guard had an easy time controlling him. He did command quite a few double-teams, but regardless, he didn't do a very good job of shedding many blocks and getting his hands on a back when he had the chance. I also noticed an up and down motor in pursuing the play. I know he's a big guy, but there were quite a few plays where there was absolutely no hustle.

Again, it was a small sample size and I do think that NT is a huge priority. Hopefully we get someone early who can anchor our defense.
    Two things....ONE, I do not see one time in any of these clips where NIX got "pushed back" when he was blocked by one O-lineman. When he was doubled team? Yeah there are a few times...but that is the whole point for a 3-4 NT (to occupy two blockers), and TWO, the Great Casey Hampton averaged 17.7 tackles over the course of his career and less than 1 sack.....so having said that, how great at shedding blocks and getting his hands on backs was he? That is the least important thing needed/required by a 3-4 NT.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You're crazy if you can't see him get stood up and pushed back by the center or guard on several plays. If memory serves me correct, it was almost exclusively related to coming out of his stance like a sloth. I totally get that Nose Tackles do not have a penchant for showing up on the stat sheet Dub, but there were some opportunities to shed blocks and disrupt the play or even make the tackle...and I didn't see him make too many of them. He did make a couple of plays in the backfield and I made mention to the fact that he did command quite a few double-teams, so it wasn't like I saw nothing positive.

I'm sure his highlight tape is better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Obviously, my goal (like everyone else here) is to build a SB caliber team. If that is 1a to me, 1b is restoring "Steeler football". As that goes, as Coaches Noll and Cowher preached: Be physical! (Not to say that isn't Tomlin's battle cry too.)

I recall getting outphysical'd in a game vs. the Texans and 49ers in '11 (when they first starting calling us old). Since then, we've probably been a .500; but worse than that, is the fact that there are games where the opponents beats us up. Getting a brute like Nix (to team with Cam), would help sway the tide back toward getting back to Steeler football.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    You're crazy if you can't see him get stood up and pushed back by the center "AND" guard.....
    I fixed that for you....

Legend

User Info Menu

15) Pittsburgh Steelers: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

The Steelers could use some young talent for their defensive line. Casey Hampton was let go after many good years in the middle of the Pittsburgh defense. Ziggy Hood is entering free agency and may not be worth re-signing in the long term, while Brett Keisel is 35. If the Steelers draft Nix, Steve McLendon could move to end.

Nix (6-3, 340) was a stud in 2012. He was a disruptive force at the line of scrimmage, and his stats don't illustrate how much he dominated interior offensive linemen. The havoc Nix caused helped Stephon Tuitt and Manti Te'o to make plays. Nix totaled 50 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, five passes batted and one forced fumble for the season.

In 2013, Nix recorded 27 tackles with two tackles for a loss. He played well against Michigan, totaling four tackles and a tackle for a loss, and was very disruptive at the point of attack. Nix started slowly against USC before playing well in the final three quarters. His contribution to the pass rush was greater than the numbers indicate. Nix's season ended early after choosing to undergo knee surgery. He had been playing with a torn meniscus and went to Dr. James Andrews to have the knee fixed.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Obviously, my goal (like everyone else here) is to build a SB caliber team. If that is 1a to me, 1b is restoring "Steeler football". As that goes, as Coaches Noll and Cowher preached: Be physical! (Not to say that isn't Tomlin's battle cry too.)

I recall getting outphysical'd in a game vs. the Texans and 49ers in '11 (when they first starting calling us old). Since then, we've probably been a .500; but worse than that, is the fact that there are games where the opponents beats us up. Getting a brute like Nix (to team with Cam), would help sway the tide back toward getting back to Steeler football.
    Somewhere in the last 3 games, they basically asked Woods what had gotten into him ... he stated something along the line of "Cam challenged me to match his physicality". THAT says a heck of a lot about the effort Cam gives. And as he matures into a leader on Defense, I think he will be challenging the ENTIRE Defense to match his physicality. I want a tall WR/pass catching TE somewhere in this draft. However, I'd like to see this Defense restocked with players who will heed that call to be physical.
    Jones, with a little more weight and a lot more strength could answer the call. Shamarko definitely has the potential. I keep coming back to needing a physical NT and ILB though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not sure you can call our best pass rusher a "mistake" like you did Worilds. If Worilds is a mistake Woodlery is a disaster and Jones is pretty much a non-entity.

thru the first 4 years of their careers.

worldis hasnt had a tenth of the production woodley has