Thread: Mike Tomlin: NFL must assess refs

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin: NFL must assess refs

Updated: December 30, 2013
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- A missed call that may have kept the Pittsburgh Steelers out of the playoffs didn't leave coach Mike Tomlin bemoaning what could have been.

But Tomlin said the NFL needs to take a hard look at officiating during the offseason and consider measures to improve it, including making referees full-time employees of the league.

Tomlin is a member of the NFL competition committee, which considers and proposes rules changes or new rules every year to improve the quality of play and make the game safer.

"Obviously, there's a lot of work [to do] from an officiating standpoint," Tomlin said Monday during his season-ending news conference. "I think it's been well-documented in the last several weeks, not only in stadiums we've played in, but others [too].

"I always want to be someone that's part of the solution as opposed to someone that's complaining and moaning about the problem. I intend to roll my sleeves up and offer any insight I can in making [the league] the very best it can be moving forward."

Tomlin was asked whether he thought referees should be full-time employees.

"I think that and other things are up for discussion," Tomlin said.

The Steelers would have secured the No. 6 seed in the AFC playoffs had Kansas City Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop made a 41-yard field goal at the end of regulation Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

Succop missed the kick by mere inches, but the Chargers should have been penalized for having seven players on one side of the snapper, a 5-yard penalty that would have given Succop a second chance, this time from 36 yards. The Chargers kicked a field goal in overtime to win 27-24 and claim the last remaining spot in the AFC playoffs.

The league released a statement Monday morning acknowledging the missed call -- teams are not allowed to have more than six players on one side of the snapper during field goal attempts -- and it has also contacted Tomlin about it.

"Those guys do a great job of communicating during difficult times, and I appreciate that," Tomlin said. "But it doesn't change what transpired."

Tomlin had been watching the Chiefs-Chargers game and said he noticed that San Diego was in an illegal formation even before Succop attempted the 41-yard field goal.

When asked if he yelled at the TV before the snap, Tomlin said, "I'll leave that between myself, my sons and our basement."

Tomlin indicated that he will be plenty vocal during the competition committee meetings that take place during the offseason. But he also made it clear that the Steelers have only themselves to blame for missing the playoffs following an 8-8 season.

"I'm not looking to assess blame on anybody else about our current position other than ourselves," Tomlin said.

The Steelers had their first 0-4 start since 1968, and Tomlin said he was pleased with how the players overcame adversity this season.

"I think the overwhelming feeling as I sit here right now is just a great deal of pride in the group, and their willingness to stick together and their ability to maintain focus and improve over the course of the season," he said.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10215978/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-coach-bemoan-missed-call-kansas-city-chiefs-fg-attempt[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

Updated: December 30, 2013
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- A missed call that may have kept the Pittsburgh Steelers out of the playoffs didn't leave coach Mike Tomlin bemoaning what could have been.

But Tomlin said the NFL needs to take a hard look at officiating during the offseason and consider measures to improve it, including making referees full-time employees of the league.

Tomlin is a member of the NFL competition committee, which considers and proposes rules changes or new rules every year to improve the quality of play and make the game safer.

"Obviously, there's a lot of work [to do] from an officiating standpoint," Tomlin said Monday during his season-ending news conference. "I think it's been well-documented in the last several weeks, not only in stadiums we've played in, but others [too].

"I always want to be someone that's part of the solution as opposed to someone that's complaining and moaning about the problem. I intend to roll my sleeves up and offer any insight I can in making [the league] the very best it can be moving forward."

Tomlin was asked whether he thought referees should be full-time employees.

"I think that and other things are up for discussion," Tomlin said.

The Steelers would have secured the No. 6 seed in the AFC playoffs had Kansas City Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop made a 41-yard field goal at the end of regulation Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

Succop missed the kick by mere inches, but the Chargers should have been penalized for having seven players on one side of the snapper, a 5-yard penalty that would have given Succop a second chance, this time from 36 yards. The Chargers kicked a field goal in overtime to win 27-24 and claim the last remaining spot in the AFC playoffs.

The league released a statement Monday morning acknowledging the missed call -- teams are not allowed to have more than six players on one side of the snapper during field goal attempts -- and it has also contacted Tomlin about it.

"Those guys do a great job of communicating during difficult times, and I appreciate that," Tomlin said. "But it doesn't change what transpired."

Tomlin had been watching the Chiefs-Chargers game and said he noticed that San Diego was in an illegal formation even before Succop attempted the 41-yard field goal.

When asked if he yelled at the TV before the snap, Tomlin said, "I'll leave that between myself, my sons and our basement."

Tomlin indicated that he will be plenty vocal during the competition committee meetings that take place during the offseason. But he also made it clear that the Steelers have only themselves to blame for missing the playoffs following an 8-8 season.

"I'm not looking to assess blame on anybody else about our current position other than ourselves," Tomlin said.

The Steelers had their first 0-4 start since 1968, and Tomlin said he was pleased with how the players overcame adversity this season.

"I think the overwhelming feeling as I sit here right now is just a great deal of pride in the group, and their willingness to stick together and their ability to maintain focus and improve over the course of the season," he said.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10215978/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-coach-bemoan-missed-call-kansas-city-chiefs-fg-attempt[/URL]

Careful Coach now matter how well you say it. Lord Roger may not like these comments and choose to protect the shield with another fine for you. Kind of like you getting slapped with a 100,000 dollar slap on the wrist and then the special team coach from Miami getting a 10,000 fine. Seems a bit lopsided . I had no problem with Mikes until the coach from Miami's a week later was much smaller. Not sure how the 2 clowns missed that formation during the kick. There is an official in charge of counting players and alignments . It was to obvious.

Legend

User Info Menu

maybe tomlin should excuse himself from the ruiles committee and use that time to evaluate players, work on the draft, run game scenarios thru his head and work on time manangenet situations. obviously his sitting on that panel isnt helping the steelers. its just self promotion.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown