Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ike Taylor to FS??

Backup

User Info Menu

Have said this for a while. The role of a safety is being redefined in today's NFL - all that lacking the big hitting ability does is keep your money in your wallet instead of going to Rog's charity fund. Adequate tackling ability and above average cover skills sounds good to me - especially packaged with locker room leadership, strong work ethic, and knowledge of the defensive scheme.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'd rather that than the one that goes head hunting first and plays the ball second. If they draft a FS and give him a year to learn what the NFL is all about and Ike can hold down the fort for a year, that's a win-win IMO.

Pappy
    If you say so. It's not like they are the same position...different assignments....different skill sets. It would take Ike himself time to be adequate. That's totally ignoring the question of who replaces Ike at DB.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If you say so. It's not like they are the same position...different assignments....different skill sets. It would take Ike himself time to be adequate. That's totally ignoring the question of who replaces Ike at DB.
    Cornerbacks have made that transition for the Steelers (well, one didn't do it for the Steelers but he did it), Woodson and Lake (well, Lake moved form safety to corner), regardless, it's not uncommon for a good athlete to move from CB to safety and vice versa. Ike is a good athlete that keeps himself in shape and knows the defense philosophy and system. I'd give him a shot if the opportunity presented itself (I doubt that it will, see below.).

As far as replacing him, well, that's a different story and not one with a real happy ending. Which is why even though giving Ike a shot at FS could happen, I doubt that it does, simply because an Allen/Gay or Allen/rookie cornerback tandem isn't really appealing.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Cornerbacks have made that transition for the Steelers (well, one didn't do it for the Steelers but he did it), Woodson and Lake (well, Lake moved form safety to corner), regardless, it's not uncommon for a good athlete to move from CB to safety and vice versa. Ike is a good athlete that keeps himself in shape and knows the defense philosophy and system. I'd give him a shot if the opportunity presented itself (I doubt that it will, see below.).

As far as replacing him, well, that's a different story and not one with a real happy ending. Which is why even though giving Ike a shot at FS could happen, I doubt that it does, simply because an Allen/Gay or Allen/rookie cornerback tandem isn't really appealing.

Pappy
    Not saying he can't just that he wouldn't be great. He might be average with time. He doesn't have Woodson or Lake ball skills. Not to mention Gay/Allen would be a tragic duo.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not saying he can't just that he wouldn't be great. He might be average with time. He doesn't have Woodson or Lake ball skills. Not to mention Gay/Allen would be a tragic duo.
    That fact makes our #1 draft priority pretty crystal clear.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    The Rooney's love him and I can see him taking a pay cut to play a couple more years in Pittsburgh at FS
    Just curious....what makes "you" think Taylor can play free safety? Please tell us the characteristics/skill set that he has that makes you believe he can make the transition?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Just curious....what makes "you" think Taylor can play free safety? Please tell us the characteristics/skill set that he has that makes you believe he can make the transition?
    I don't think it would be a good switch for Ike. I would rather see Troy go to FS and move Shark to SS if we could. Troy has incredible instincts on where a ball is headed so I could see that move working out. Not so much for Ike ... he has horrible instincts and rarely can make a play on a ball.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think troy would be a huge liability at FS

don't believe a move there works for ike either

Legend

User Info Menu

That's a fact about the corners, Clark doesn't have great ball skills either, which is why I think Ike could move into that position and be better than average. Maybe facing the game his ball skills would improve, there's a difference between trying to play a ball as you're running away from the quarterback looking over your shoulder and than when you're facing him and attacking the pass and seeing the entire field.

I'm not saying it will or won't happen, all I'm saying is that I wouldn't be against it, unless, they draft an FS that is the future at the position, then I wouldn't want Ike taking snaps from him or they don't upgrade the CB position, then Ike has to stay at CB.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree but not by much. A centerfielder with no hands?
    I don't see the logic either. Plus, he is too lanky and not thick enough for safety. And he doesn't just drop ball from lack of ball awareness; he drops them because he has 2 x 4s for hands. It doesn't matter if he sees it coming the whole way, he simply can't catch the ball.